+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't like the racing industry.

I'm a horse girl, have ridden and owned horses my whole life and competed regularly. I know a lot of people are against all sorts of horse competition, such as dressage, jumping etc. But I can tell you for 100% certain my horses and most equestrian horses are not only loved, but members of the family, and they enjoy competing as much as their riders.

Anyway, the racing industry is something else entirely. I DETEST the whipping, it makes me feel ill. The horses racing and training to race before they're even fully grown on their frail brittle growing bones. The discarding of thorougbreds when they have served their purpose or because they never will. The over-working, the money grabbing, the drugging..

Yeah. Not my scene.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (28-11-2012),Lovemyfam  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Horse racing

Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I don't like the racing industry.

I'm a horse girl, have ridden and owned horses my whole life and competed regularly. I know a lot of people are against all sorts of horse competition, such as dressage, jumping etc. But I can tell you for 100% certain my horses and most equestrian horses are not only loved, but members of the family, and they enjoy competing as much as their riders.

Anyway, the racing industry is something else entirely. I DETEST the whipping, it makes me feel ill. The horses racing and training to race before they're even fully grown on their frail brittle growing bones. The discarding of thorougbreds when they have served their purpose or because they never will. The over-working, the money grabbing, the drugging..

Yeah. Not my scene.
    I agree completely. I refer to my dd's horse as my child with fur. We love him and go without things if he needs something.

I hate horse racing but jumps racing just about boils my blood

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My poor boy has just turned three. He is wastage from the industry. He didnt even trail because he developed bone chips. They decided he wasnt wortg the $5000 operation and 6 month recovery. Pitty thay considering his stud fee was $16000 hes such a beautiful boy in everyway!! And he will be getting the operation because i believe he is worth it!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jess1992 For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (28-11-2012),Atropos  (28-11-2012),CazHazKidz  (29-11-2012),cluckcluck  (28-11-2012),Lovemyfam  (28-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Horse racing

Quote Originally Posted by jess1992 View Post
    My poor boy has just turned three. He is wastage from the industry. He didnt even trail because he developed bone chips. They decided he wasnt wortg the $5000 operation and 6 month recovery. Pitty thay considering his stud fee was $16000 hes such a beautiful boy in everyway!! And he will be getting the operation because i believe he is worth it!!

Good on you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate horse racing too. I hate the way they are treated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just dont judge the whole industry though...

Dont get me wrong there are some people who dont care what so ever about what happens to the horses they cant use. But there are some really nice trainers that really do care about them as well!

We need to introduce HongKong rules. Every horse over there needs to be rehomed before they can bring another in for training. The result? Less wastage and only breeding the best horses!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Horse racing

Dont get me wrong there are some people who dont care what so ever about what happens to the horses they cant use. But there are some really nice trainers that really do care about them as well!

We need to introduce HongKong rules. Every horse over there needs to be rehomed before they can bring another in for training. The result? Less wastage and only breeding the best horses!

They might be super nice but they are still part of a horrific industry. It doesn't matter how much a nice trainer cares, horses are still abused and killed to keep this industry going, for simple human greed. Being nice doesn't change that unfortunately. I would think if someone really, truly cared about horses, they wouldn't have anything to do with it. Jmo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

That is awesome for the retired horses but what about the abuse that happens during their racing career?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate horse races. I've worked in hospitality/retail the last few years and every Melbourne Cup day, I have to choke back the need to vomit when someone asks me "So, what're you doing for Cup day? You excited?" and have to answer civilly with ".. No, no I'm not. I don't agree with the industry, the mistreatment of animals, nor whipping an innocent creature for the entertainment of humans. You want entertainment with whipping? Go and find a big guy who can make his own decisions and voice his opinions, and then find a little guy willing to jump on his back and whip him while they run around a track, with crowds cheering, and ignoring the pain and terror inflicted on their animals."

I don't mind dog racing, and I wouldn't mind horse racing if the whips weren't used. They're animals who are designed to and love to run. I don't like the industries of either though. I know a few dog breeders who race, and their dogs are the most loved and well cared for dogs I've met. I've met people who race their horses(Just in country races, etc) without whips. Their horses are happy, well cared for, and not terrified of their riders.
    But I've also met dog breeders and racers who punish their dogs for losing, for not being fast enough and for instantly putting them down when they get too old, rather than just retire them and treat them as they always have. Same with horse racers.
    It's horrible and I hate it.

Thanks
    Reviews

I dont want a to cause a fight....

There are trainers out there that treat them respectfully and care for them brilliantly. They dont keep their horses cooped up on tiny yards all day nor do they have them on drugs. These people listen to the horses and give them the time to grow and mature. They also retrain them and make sure they end up with fantastic homes and not on doggers trucks. They scratch them from races when they arent quite right. Each horse has a name.

Also there are rules to how mant times horses are allowed to be whipped during a race (I cant remember the exact amount). Sometimes when it looks like they are being whipped if you look closely the jockey is actually moving the whip quickly back and forwards to make a noise... Again there are trainers which tell jockeys not to use whips.

On the other hand, there are ******** trainers out there that care about their horses or staff in any way These are usually larger racing stables where horses are just a number. They do not have nicknames. Noone has any idea about their personality besides their groom who at the end of the day cannot save every horse although many do try. Some horses are kept in tiny yards for 23 hours of the day and never go into a paddock.

I dont think we should shun everyone in the industry. They arent all bad. Do I think the industry could be better? Absolutely. Regulations need revision, many are ancient. Limits to the amount of horses trained should also be made. They need to introduce the hong kong system of rehoming and not dogging them.

I doubt anything will ever happen. The industry is corrupt. Noone will ever stand upto the racing officials because they have too much power.
    The industry is all about money im afraid money and dreamers chasing said money.

If you want to do something then get a large property and offer to take ex racers for retraining and a new start because unfortunately there arent many people that do with thoroughbreds

Standardbreds are another story but everyone forgets about the trotters/pacers that are in fact usually treated worse than gallopers