+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Horse racing

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Or cow or sheep or pig or chicken? Most livestock in this country is treated a lot worse than racehorses but yet we still eat meat and wear leather
    completely true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Or cow or sheep or pig or chicken? Most livestock in this country is treated a lot worse than racehorses but yet we still eat meat and wear leather
    And people are gradually placing more importance on the treatment of livestock. People are increasingly sourcing meat from ethical sources, taking more interest in quality and buying locally. Yes, there is a long way to go but people have to start somewhere.

Surely you can't just say 'well the beef industry is worse so your concerns about the racing industry are dismissable'?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

lones  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Horse racing

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    And people are gradually placing more importance on the treatment of livestock. People are increasingly sourcing meat from ethical sources, taking more interest in quality and buying locally. Yes, there is a long way to go but people have to start somewhere.

Surely you can't just say 'well the beef industry is worse so your concerns about the racing industry are dismissable'?
    This

I buy free range eggs and chicken, free range everything else where possible. We are cutting down our meat intake. As WineTime says, doesn't meant I can't have legitimate concerns about horses being mistreated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Horse racing

When did I say the beef industry was worse and concerns about racing are dismissible????
    I was agreeing with her statement that replace horse with dog etc and I took it further to include livestock?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When did I say the beef industry was worse and concerns about racing are dismissible????
    I was agreeing with her statement that replace horse with dog etc and I took it further to include livestock?
    Fair enough, I've misinterpreted you and I apologise.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Horse racing

Fair enough, I've misinterpreted you and I apologise.
    Thanks- I just watched a horrible Getup video on Aussie sheep being transported to Pakistan so I'm in a save the animals mode!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Horse racing

Thanks- I just watched a horrible Getup video on Aussie sheep being transported to Pakistan so I'm in a save the animals mode!
    Awful isn't it. Sorry for also misinterpreting your prev post!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I come from a background in racing (my father was a trainer).
    I note that the article is over 12 months old. Since then, further changes have been made to whip rules in racing which were introduced in 2009. But there are far worse things that happen to racehorses than whipping. The industry is built on cruelty.

My personal opinion is that horse racing is as crooked as it is cruel and the practices that continue here but especially so in Hong Kong, China, USA and UK are appalling. When I see Fashions in the Field and hear about the pomp and ceremony of the Melbourne Cup I think, you're all being sucked in by hype.

Example: Green Moon, winner of this year's Cup, wasn't even mentioned by his jockey, owner or trainer. It was all "we won the Cup!" Well try winning it without a horse, you d'head. Further, that same horse had just got off the plane from Hong Kong where he rode 8 races and was back on the plane that day to race more races. Same with Black Caviar. Why do you think that horse is being retired relatively early? Because they've run the poor mare into the ground and want to save her from breaking down completely so as to make further millions of stud fees.

I could go on but I won't. I want to save a little bile for rodeos and campdrafting. They still use spurs in the latter which is just disgusting and anyone telling you that bullriding and rodeos in general are kind to animals need to spend some time in the mounting yard and watch what implements are used on those poor animals to get them going.

I feel all animals used in this way - for our enjoyment - and that includes those animals that we eat from a factory farmed environment, are all very badly treated and we as a society should hang our heads in shame.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Horse racing

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I come from a background in racing (my father was a trainer).
    I note that the article is over 12 months old. Since then, further changes have been made to whip rules in racing which were introduced in 2009. But there are far worse things that happen to racehorses than whipping. The industry is built on cruelty.

My personal opinion is that horse racing is as crooked as it is cruel and the practices that continue here but especially so in Hong Kong, China, USA and UK are appalling. When I see Fashions in the Field and hear about the pomp and ceremony of the Melbourne Cup I think, you're all being sucked in by hype.

Example: Green Moon, winner of this year's Cup, wasn't even mentioned by his jockey, owner or trainer. It was all "we won the Cup!" Well try winning it without a horse, you d'head. Further, that same horse had just got off the plane from Hong Kong where he rode 8 races and was back on the plane that day to race more races. Same with Black Caviar. Why do you think that horse is being retired relatively early? Because they've run the poor mare into the ground and want to save her from breaking down completely so as to make further millions of stud fees.

I could go on but I won't. I want to save a little bile for rodeos and campdrafting. They still use spurs in the latter which is just disgusting and anyone telling you that bullriding and rodeos in general are kind to animals need to spend some time in the mounting yard and watch what implements are used on those poor animals to get them going.

I feel all animals used in this way - for our enjoyment - and that includes those animals that we eat from a factory farmed environment, are all very badly treated and we as a society should hang our heads in shame.
    Yes, I knew the article was from a while ago.
    Whipping isn't the only thing I dislike about racing, I agree with all you mentioned. I was pretty horrified about them killing Rose of Peace on cup day too. There just isn't any justification for this practice, or any other where animals are exploited for entertainment and profit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whips are the least of their worries. They need to worry about being sent to slaughter even at a tender age of 1 year. They need to worry that if they dont run well enough and make money they are gone, Everyone hates dog fighting but love horse racing I dont see the difference. I have seen and heard so many horror stories on how these horses are treated behind the scenes its sick.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Horseracing is big business - it will never be banned.

I am in two minds about it. While i know there still exist some somewhat cruel practices, the horses are incredibly well cared for overall. The trainers know these days that it's in their best interest to look after these animals and are usually very concerned for their welfare. Any sign of being overworked and they spell them for an appropriate period of time.

I don't like whips, because they frighten horses. Race day is stressful for them, but it is only a small part of their lives really - its mostly training and getting pampered.
    Not entirely true they care about money and if that horse doesnt make money they treat it like a broken gardening tool and toss it aside. They pump them full of chemicals, they ice a hurt leg for hours so it can run instead of just giving it time off.

Here is a video for a bit of education for anyone who is interested.
    *** WARNING DO NOT LET KIDS WATCH CAN BE DISTURBING******

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/take_action/wastage