+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tax on paid parental leave?

Just wondering if I will pay more tax on my paid parental leave as it apparently can take 6-8 weeks and will be back paid as one amount through my employer?
    Also do you pay more tax if you get it paid through your work or from centrelink. I was earning 40k so think I was paying $97 a week tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You pay the tax rate (%) that you were on when you start mat leave. It gets balanced out at tax time. It makes no difference whether you get it in a big chunk or not, the percentage is the same.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh good, thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    You pay the tax rate (%) that you were on when you start mat leave. It gets balanced out at tax time. It makes no difference whether you get it in a big chunk or not, the percentage is the same.
    I actually asked about the tax rate on Facebook recently and I had 2 friends confirm that it is taxed at the minimum tax rate. Otherwise anyone who is paid above minimum wage would be clearly overtaxed and would just get it back at tax time, which doesn't really make sense when you could just be taxed properly from the start...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Tax on paid parental leave?

It's automatically taxed at 15% unless you request a different rate.

Thanks
    Reviews

This may be the case if you're having a whole financial year off but if your pml starts in jan and you've already worked 6 months then you could find yourself with a bill if you only pay 15% on it? I think it would depend on when you start your leave and how long you have off?? And what tax bracket you fall into?

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I actually asked about the tax rate on Facebook recently and I had 2 friends confirm that it is taxed at the minimum tax rate. Otherwise anyone who is paid above minimum wage would be clearly overtaxed and would just get it back at tax time, which doesn't really make sense when you could just be taxed properly from the start...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    This may be the case if you're having a whole financial year off but if your pml starts in jan and you've already worked 6 months then you could find yourself with a bill if you only pay 15% on it? I think it would depend on when you start your leave and how long you have off?? And what tax bracket you fall into?
    Why is that; if your employer has been taxing you properly on your pre-parental leave pay, why would you get a tax bill?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tax on paid parental leave?

Yes I'm also confused on this my tax a fortnight is about 400 and then hecs on top of that. So if I get taxed that and my hecs comes out I'd only be getting about 750 a fortnight. I have worked out my finances based on that assumption and I guess if it is that way I'll get compensated at tax time but I think it sucks I have to wait until then especially as my leave will have the majority at the start of next financial year but if that's the way it is I guess I will deal with it. I expect my hecs to be taken out but think its a bit unfair that I still pay 400 in tax when I'm getting paid significantly less than I do now.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im pretty sure I read somewhere that if it's paid by centrelink it will be paid at a standard rate (not sure what that was) unless you request them to do it at another rate.

I'd ring centrelink and ask

Thanks
    Reviews

If you only pay 15% tax on PPL but your earnings for the year push you into a higher tax bracket you'd get a bill I think?

DH always gets a bloody bill because of work shares he was given. He has to pay to own them - how is that a good thing?! And he doesn't get to keep them all if he quits. Sorry to digress!