+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting 2 year old off dummy - support needed

My DS is 2 years and 2 months. He has always been a problem sleeper - waking on a good night 3 times - bad night up to 8 times. He has two sleep associations one with holding my hand to go to sleep and one with his dummy. He won't put it back in by himself.
    So last night I said no more dummy - and told him he will get a present in the morning if he sleeps without it. Anyway, it was a very long night waking about 3 times in tears and crying and begging for his dummy.

Does anyone know how long it will take until he forgets or doesn't want it? I hopefully have the willpower not to give in to him as I don't want to put him through this trauma and then go back to giving him his dummy but it is so hard!!!

I really think in the long run he will sleep better without it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Getting 2 year old off dummy - support needed

If you are serious about it, you need to throw it in the bin! Sounds harsh but will work. Buy a teddy or replacement bedtime friend that he chooses, get him to throw the dummy in the bin so he knows it is gone. It took 3 nights for my 2yr old to self settle after she binned the dummy, she asked for it for another 2 months, but we didnt have one and she knew that as she threw it out. Good luck, it is a hard time.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! I went through this 6 months ago with my 2.5yo DD, when I thought she was old enough to understand.
    She'd have 5 dummies! One in her mouth and 2 in each hand!!! I noticed a few were getting old, and previously I'd replace them. I showed her the old ones and said, when these break you have to be a big girl and put them in the bin.
    Slowly but surely the teats flattened over the coming weeks and I was amazed. In the mornings she'd inspect them, then throw out the flat one.
    We'd wave goodbye to it in the kitchen bin, then we'd take the bag out to the big bin. 3 weeks in and all were gone. That night i expected HELL but was pleasantly surprised "i big girl and not need dummies".
    There were a few cry outs during the following nights so I reminded her that she had thrown them out and was a big girl.
    Much easier than I expected.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

My son was 3 when the "dummy fairy" came. We decorated a box and put the dummies in and then replaced them with a present in the morning. It took 3 nights of crying before he got over it and then mentioned it for about a week but we just kept reminding him that the dummy fairy took it for the babies in the hospital. I suggest you throw them out to resist giving in. It's so hard, hang in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Biggest (*hugs*), we just went through this exact thing with out DD also 2years 2 months and it is a hard slog. We took it away about a month ago now.

We prepared her for around 3 days that dummies are for babies & now she is a big girl she doesn't need it. One the morning of - we threw it in the bin & just hoped for the best.

Night one went really well - she fell asleep within 10 mins & didn't wake til morning. I think she forgot all about it until she saw our friends baby with his about 3 days later - then the drama started. She carried on for a few days, waking up during the night, screaming for dummy. I just didn't went it and cuddled her until she went back to sleep.

Expect a few rough nights, but it should slowly get better.

She now doesn't ask for it or get upset when she see's a baby with one, however her time to get to sleep & sleeping through the night is not as good as it used to be as she doesn't have that instant comfort.

Stick with it, it'll only cause confusion if you keep saying it's gone but then giving it back & just remember he is just a little boy & will probably need extra cuddles to get him & you through this.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews

I cut a tiny hole in my little ones, making it a little bigger each day. He told me it was broken and threw it away. Still found it hard to sleep, but at least it was his decision. All the best. X

Thanks
    Reviews

We just did this! I was posting here also!

Only thing that worked was going cold turkey and will power!

He screamed the second day and night but I just told him dummy's were all gone and in the bin because he didn't need them.

Took us about a week and a half and now no issues at all. He asks for it occasionally but I say all gone he parrots that back at me and we are all
    Ok.

It is hard but definitely worth it!

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 3 we said its time to get rid of the dummies .. She was very attached to them .. One in mouth one to run tip of noes .. She said no we said your a big girl you don't need them .. Help us throw them out!! She did .. She was fine .. Asked for them a couple times .. We gave her a cuddle and said she was doing great .. All family And friends knew this was happening .. So every day/week that passed we would say how great she was doing ... It's been 3 months now ... No issues !!
    We didn't bother with dummy fairies ect as we knew she didn't need that ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

With DD2 I took it off her during day time and day naps to start off with then once she was fine with that we took it off her all together. She was about 13 months I think and slept terribly and it wasn't that hard. She's 16 months now and wakes 1-2 times a night still but is a lot better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the support!
    Hopefully I can hold strong and DS2 forgots about the dummy as soon as possible!