+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Pocket money - how to make it work?

My almost 6yo ds doesn't get Pocket Money yet and I want to start. How do you do it in your house? I don't want to pay him to do things that currently I expect him to do (like eating dinner, having a shower/bath, cleaning his teeth), but if I have to come up with 'extra' tasks all the time to pay him for I think I'll run out of ideas pretty quickly.

So, how do you make Pocket Money work? What do your kids (5 - 6 year olds) do for Pocket money?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pocket money - how to make it work?

We made a little weekly planner, (laminated it, so we can tick tasks off with a white board market) DD before bed will tick things off that she has done.
    We have taken things off like the brushing teeth, eating etc. now that she is bigger, she has things like make bed, set the table, pack up toys, tidy bedroom, put clothes in laundry basket etc.

At the end of the week depending on how many ticks, she gets paid different amounts ours is about $1min and $5 max a week.

I purposely don't have homework and few other standard things on there because while rewarding/bribing (however you look at it ) some behavior, I also want her to know some things we just do because we are a part of the family, and we all need to contribute.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

mim1  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is 7 and he is 2 jobs to get pocket money. Water the front and back yard plants and set the table. He gets $0.50 for each job and its also his responsibility to keep his room clean. If I have to clean it upon inspection just before he goes to bed than he pays me $0.50.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

mim1  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 5.5 and I give her $1 every week standard without her having to do anything. She will get extra for helping out like helping daddy with gardening or cleaning up her room (not standard things like eating or homework).

I dont buy her anything at the shops anymore though - anything she wants (like ice cream, or a toy or a book), she will have to save up her pocket money and buy it herself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AshleeClaire07 For This Useful Post:

mim1  (06-11-2012)