+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BlissfulMama is offline Loving this new tiny person more than I ever imagined!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How often would you check and how would you check?

I stupidly left my 7 week old daughter on the lounge while I went to the toilet. When I was washing my hands, I heard a thud and scream. Needless to say what happened, after crying hysterically I drove her to the hospital. Managed to get 70km in just over 25 minutes. She was checked over and I am told she is fine... I am terrified. She has been fine all night but I feel like I need to stay up and watch her all night.

Should I check her every hour and if so, would you wake her completely or just check she is breathing?

I feel like the worst mother in the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh honey it happens to the best of us, I remember with DD1 mum asked me if she has fallen off the bed yet I said no! Needless to say a couple of weeks later she rolled off. I felt awfull cried
    more than she did but she was fine. If the hospital think she is fine just check her to keep your mind settled. Personally I wouldn't wake wake her but check her especially If her fall was quite some time ago.

But you are not a bad mother these things happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If they said she's fine, I wouldn't wake her. If she seems like her normal self, then let her be. I have heard of many parents having this happen to them, and the babies we're all ok in the end.

I don't mean to offend you, but how fast were you driving when you managed to get 70k's away in 25 mins? If you had an accident, things could have been much much worse.. i would call an ambulance next time. I know it's hard not to panic, but please remember there are others and yourselves on the road when doing such speeds..

Hope your little one is all good!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Amira  (07-11-2012),Kiplusthree  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh hun I'd just leave her be my 3 have fallen and hit their heads more times than I can count! DS is only 11 weeks old and has done it twice already including once less than 24 hours after he was born! Try not to worry - babies are tough and it sounds like you are an awesome mum to be this upset. I'm sure she'll be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your kind words winterbaby. The nurse at the hospital said it happens so often, she also said babies bounce scarily well and I was probably more shocked than her.

I shouldn't have driven Minchi, I really shouldn't have. No offence taken at all. I was so scared and couldn't get onto my partner as he was working on the other side of the property. It was probably the stupidest thing I did during the whole event. Especially since I was so upset, even the 24 Hour Nurse line lady told me not to drive. I'm lucky nothing happened.

She's been herself completely, smiled at the hospital at the nurses. She did spew up the Panadol I attempted to give her but that was more for me, I thought she may have a head ache. I didn't give her anything more. She's been feeding well, fell asleep and is sleeping well. Just so worried about her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aroha0509 View Post
    Oh hun I'd just leave her be my 3 have fallen and hit their heads more times than I can count! DS is only 11 weeks old and has done it twice already including once less than 24 hours after he was born! Try not to worry - babies are tough and it sounds like you are an awesome mum to be this upset. I'm sure she'll be fine
    Thank you so much, I feel so s--t! I keep saying sorry to her and my partner. I will check her breathing all night, I can't not but thank you for sharing. That actually made me feel better. I felt like the only person in the world who'd made a mistake when it happened. When into panic mode and actually didn't know what to do. Just held her as she cried and I cried too, she fed straight away but I'd never felt so helpless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rather than wake bubs just check her and keep an eye out for symptoms like vomiting or being extremely lethargic , try ringing health direct on 1800 022 222 if your unsure and a nurse will talk thru the symptoms and they will call an ambulance if neccisary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you lulu 2 she has slept through since day one so not sure if she seems sleepier than usual. She actually went to bed later than usual which made me happy as I got the 6 hours of watching done like the hospital said. I rang that hotline today before I went to the hospital, they were great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to hear she's being herself! And please don't think badly of yourself! It can happen to anybody... who would think a 7 week old would roll themselves that early on! Glad to hear you got to the hospital ok too , there is no worse feeling than driving in a panic. I know the feeling.
    Hugs to both of you!

Thanks
    Reviews

I have to tell you I think you are handling it remarkably well especially if it's the first time anything like this has happened! Try not to beat yourself up about it too much and massive hugs from here