+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I am laughing at some of these uniform comments. I am teaching discussion text to my class of 8/9 year olds and the topic this week is "Should wearing a school uniform be compulsory?" and the reasons they have come up with are similar to what people in here are saying on both sides. You don't need to have strict dress code at school to understand the advantages and disadvantages of uniforms. My students could rattle off a list of pros and cons.
    They may be able to list off pros and cons but that doesn't mean they will conform when necessary. I know the problem with experience is always one sided, but from 10 years managing in jobs that employ a lot of young people it was always easier to get the ones who had to wear a proper uniform at school, (public or private), to wear their uniforms correctly.
    Just my experience though, I know that makes it a generalisation.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

I send my kids to private school simply because I've tried public and it was awful. Awful teachers, awful class sizes and awful discipline.

Her private school is just a joy to send her to. And I must say her learning has accelerated greatly since sending her there.

I'm not saying all private schools are like that, some low fee catholic schools were just as bad as the public school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    How so? Private schools are typically attached to a church.
    The only private schools within my price range would be catholic which are quite focused on religion.
    At both public schools my DS has attended there has been very little in the way of religion. They have one class a week and DS doesn't participate.
    There are several non-religious private schools local to us. Our kids are enrolled at one.

I don't want my children marginalised for their beliefs by having to have them removed from a class and I don't want them taught religion at school, so private is how we avoid this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    There are several non-religious private schools local to us. Our kids are enrolled at one.

I don't want my children marginalised for their beliefs by having to have them removed from a class and I don't want them taught religion at school, so private is how we avoid this.
    Well most schools offer more than one religion during scripture classes, so it's not as if one is ostracised. The school I work at has Anglican, catholic, Baha'i and non scripture. Nobody is ostracised. There are 2 schools I am choosing between for my kids. One school offers catholic, Anglican, united, Salvation Army, Muslim, Greek Orthodox and non scripture, the other school offers has Anglican, Greek Orthodox, Macedonian orthodox, Muslim, catholic and non scripture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    They may be able to list off pros and cons but that doesn't mean they will conform when necessary. I know the problem with experience is always one sided, but from 10 years managing in jobs that employ a lot of young people it was always easier to get the ones who had to wear a proper uniform at school, (public or private), to wear their uniforms correctly.
    Just my experience though, I know that makes it a generalisation.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    The kids do conform, but some might just have the coloured shirt and shorts, rather than the school logo.

I'm actually not against school uniform, but I think some of the comments in here are a little ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My kids go to the only school in the district (we live rurally) which thankfully, is absolutely awesome. They're thriving.

They'll have to go away to school for yrs 10, 11 and 12 and that will be private.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My children will be going to a public school. I went to a private school for part of my highschool years and I hated every minute of it. I hated the elitism, the culture, the expectations, the draconian rules and punishments but I accept that I most likely had an extreme example and there is no way a school would get away with doing some of the things this school did.

I would also never send my child to a school that has any religious affiliation, I would move a mountain before my child be subjected to religious teachings or I paid money to support such an institution. I also am very much of the opinion that education/schooling and profit are incompatible and that quality education should be for all, not just those whose parents can afford it.

We are planning on being very involved in our children's education. Both DF and I value schooling extremely highly. We are both have post grad qualifications and DF is extraordinarily bright and would most probably qualified as a 'gifted' student.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well most schools offer more than one religion during scripture classes, so it's not as if one is ostracised. The school I work at has Anglican, catholic, Baha'i and non scripture. Nobody is ostracised. There are 2 schools I am choosing between for my kids. One school offers catholic, Anglican, united, Salvation Army, Muslim, Greek Orthodox and non scripture, the other school offers has Anglican, Greek Orthodox, Macedonian orthodox, Muslim, catholic and non scripture.
    Every public school in a 15 minute radius does only 'opt out Christianity'. Opting out would mean my kids were being marginalised for their beliefs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Every public school in a 15 minute radius does only 'opt out Christianity'. Opting out would mean my kids were being marginalised for their beliefs.
    How so? My DS is too young to yet have any beliefs, I would think he'd just not be attending the class because his mum doesn't want him to - just like a lot of the other students (similar to the ones who can't attend school camps etc). sorry, that's not meant as an argumentative way - your post genuinely has me intrigued. I do think in public schools it shouldn't be an option at all, it should be up to parents to teach religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just wanted to add due to a few comments in general on here re religion that while perhaps my ds mr 4.5yrs isn't old enough to make his own decision regarding religion, for now he will follow our catholic religion meaning going to a catholic school and doing prayers and learning about the religion. In which he is enjoying which is great. He recites the prayers he learns and asks us many questions, he's genuinely interested. Should he wish to change his choice when he is old so be it!