+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

I am wanting to send DS to a private school, but I've been looking at prices for all the ones around Brisbane, my goodness some are nearly $250 a week! The cheapest seems to be $100 a week. $100 a week would be alright for one child, but we want three kids at least, that $600 a fortnight! Argh! If it was $250 it would be $1500 a fortnight for three kids, that is most people's entire wage! Am I getting something wrong here, please tell me there is something I'm missing and it doesn't cost that much??

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I agree.
    Wearing a uniform and looking smart and appropriate is important and does represent the school and shows respect to yourself. At ds's school appropriate footwear must also be worn and minimal fuss with the hair in relation to hair styles and hair products and no makeup. There is nothing more trashy than seeing school girls dressed as tarts with a ton of makeup with wild hairstyles.
    What rot. What uneducated, small minded rot. As I said earlier, I had wild hair and loads of make up, and i had self respect in spades, much more so I'm sure than the girls who conformed to stereotypical ideals of beauty.
    My brother is fantastically flamboyant, and one of the smartest, most dedicated teenagers I know. he would probably get kicked out of your DS's school, but at his school he is the 'norm', because he goes to a progressive school that accepts young people for who they are, and trust them to make their own decisions.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (07-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (07-11-2012),mummabec  (09-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (07-11-2012),~ElectricPink~  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm planning to send my ds to the local public primary school in a couple years. My (much) younger brother went there and it's very focused on community values and respect for your school, etc. I will investigate closer to the time the specifics of class sizes and teacher ratios and prep intake, but for now I've enrolled him from one daycare into another daycare/kindergarten that feeds into the school so that he knows people when the time comes. I'm hoping not to move out of the catchment before its time to enroll but I have a contingency plan just in case. To be honest private schooling was never on the table; I can't afford it and I'd like to see what kind of student my son is before I commit to going into debt for the sake of his education

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    What rot. What uneducated, small minded rot. As I said earlier, I had wild hair and loads of make up, and i had self respect in spades, much more so I'm sure than the girls who conformed to stereotypical ideals of beauty.
    My brother is fantastically flamboyant, and one of the smartest, most dedicated teenagers I know. he would probably get kicked out of your DS's school, but at his school he is the 'norm', because he goes to a progressive school that accepts young people for who they are, and trust them to make their own decisions.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    I agree FL. I wore makeup, dyed my hair bright colours, had a short skirt and buckets of confidence. Wish they had such progressive schools 15 years or so ago!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I don't know about other states, but in NSW public schools, class sizes are protected by an agreement. A lot of my friends send their kids to catholic school where class sizes are 35 in kindergarten and the same throughout the rest of primary school. In NSW schools, most kindergarten classes would not have more than 20 students, I would say 22 at most.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree.
    Wearing a uniform and looking smart and appropriate is important and does represent the school and shows respect to yourself. At ds's school appropriate footwear must also be worn and minimal fuss with the hair in relation to hair styles and hair products and no makeup. There is nothing more trashy than seeing school girls dressed as tarts with a ton of makeup with wild hairstyles.
    100% agree

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

I agree.
    Agree.
    I don't think there's a problem with teens expressing their individuality, I used to dress a bit crazy and have short spiky hair. But I went to a private school that had a dress code. At school I had to adhere to their rules, at home I could do what I liked.
    Funnily enough, generally in the workforce you have to adhere to a dress code and set of presentation rules, once you are off work you can do what you want, and I think having a good uniform policy at school teaches kids this.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

wigglemum  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I prefer our kids private school to a public school as most of the parents are very invested in their kids education and I think a childrens peers are very influential, I want that influence to be a positive thing.

Our choice was based more on educational philosophy and our own experiences in schools. I had a variety of schools with different philosophies and different 'status', DH went public for primary and private for high school.

My kids would be exposed to more religion in public schools than at their private school, so I think that's a weird thing to say.
    It's not weird considering vast majority of private and independent schools are religious. The only 2 I can think of that are neutral I guess is the right word are Steiner and Montessori.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am laughing at some of these uniform comments. I am teaching discussion text to my class of 8/9 year olds and the topic this week is "Should wearing a school uniform be compulsory?" and the reasons they have come up with are similar to what people in here are saying on both sides. You don't need to have strict dress code at school to understand the advantages and disadvantages of uniforms. My students could rattle off a list of pros and cons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I always thought one of the major advantages of a uniform was to avoid comparisons between students wearing expensive or brand name clothes and those who don't wear them? A level playing field so to speak.

It was certainly a key focus at the public school I went to. Frankly, I think they would have preferred students to be out of uniform outside school hours to avoid being connected with students after school.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (07-11-2012)