+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Does having pink dyed hair really impact on education? I really am not fussed about uniforms or hairdo's. I don't think it speaks negatively for the schools ability to educate kids
    I had pink hair and i did very well, at a highly academic public school with almost zero dress code. I find in general, teenagers who are more alternative in their dress are critical thinkers who are slightly more mature than their peers.

To answer the OP, we will choose public for a few reasons: there are lots of good public schools around here, we are atheists, and i want my kids to mix with people from all walks of life and not have a 'user pays' mentality towards education. However, if they wanted to go to a private school because they felt it suited them better, I would certainly consider it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

mummabec  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Catholic private school for us, mostly because of the religious teachings but also a limit on class sizes.

The local public high school that DD would be going to in year 7 if we stayed in the same area won't answer questions about yearly intake sizes, but the education department here has estimated there will be 450 kids in the year 7 intake by the time she is here. I don't want my DD to be one of 450. There are no plans to build new schools in the area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    no, it doesn't have an impact on education, but I would think the school would have some standards on appearance? I would think that by wearing the uniform correctly and looking appropriate - you are representing the school surely? The school I went to, pink hair etc, was certainly not allowed and had to be dyed back to a decent colour.
    I agree.
    Wearing a uniform and looking smart and appropriate is important and does represent the school and shows respect to yourself. At ds's school appropriate footwear must also be worn and minimal fuss with the hair in relation to hair styles and hair products and no makeup. There is nothing more trashy than seeing school girls dressed as tarts with a ton of makeup with wild hairstyles.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

The way you dress does not make you a better or worse person. It's called individuality, freedom of expression etc. I had purple hair in grade 12. I was also a straight A student all through my schooling. The colour of your hair, or make up you wear doesn't mean you don have self respect.

And i really hate when women use words like tart to describe another female. That just makes men think it's ok for them to call women names like that.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (07-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (07-11-2012),mummabec  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I agree.
    Wearing a uniform and looking smart and appropriate is important and does represent the school and shows respect to yourself. At ds's school appropriate footwear must also be worn and minimal fuss with the hair in relation to hair styles and hair products and no makeup. There is nothing more trashy than seeing school girls dressed as tarts with a ton of makeup with wild hairstyles.
    couldn't have said it better.

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd is starting at a catholic primary school next year. I chose this because I believe the quality of teaching in my area is a lot better and class sizes are smaller (with support officers which are purely there to assist the teacher). I also feel the behaviour management and family support is also a lot better in private schools.
    I know this also exists in public education but I am giving my opinion based on experience in my town.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Parent involvement/interest is a huge factor in a child's education, so I believe that no matter where your child goes to school, if you show an interest and help them with their learning, they will do well anywhere.
    Yes, and furthermore, the caliber of the teaching staff. I've had great staff at public, great at private. terrible at public, terrible at private.

and I lol at some of the comments about looking presentable and having respect for yourself. I have 2 facial piercings and 3 tattoos (which I can cover up but I want a half sleeve)... I have dyed my hair so many colours.... and I'm well educated, decent, I'm just an individual. Who would have thought? lol That's one of the things I hate about private. it's often (note often not always) a sea of conformity. Short of showing the swastika, I want my kids to be themselves. If that means pink hair then so be it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

mummabec  (09-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

My kids would be exposed to more religion in public schools than at their private school, so I think that's a weird thing to say.
    How so? Private schools are typically attached to a church.
    The only private schools within my price range would be catholic which are quite focused on religion.
    At both public schools my DS has attended there has been very little in the way of religion. They have one class a week and DS doesn't participate.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    How so? Private schools are typically attached to a church.
    The only private schools within my price range would be catholic which are quite focused on religion.
    At both public schools my DS has attended there has been very little in the way of religion. They have one class a week and DS doesn't participate.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Yes, in public schools RE is optional!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had private school picked since we started ttc ds as it is the primary i attended and i liked that it was far better education and bullying wise however my nieces & nephews attend there and it has gone down hill majorly so i am now thinking a local public school
    Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub