+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Reputation and also curriculum.

The private school in the next street was handy, but changed Principals and changed the curriculum where they had no music programmes or anything other than religion programs.

The public school he goes to offers a huge variety and hes thriving there. Kids he went to Kindy with who went on to this private school, arent going great, are bullied as the school doesnt have a bully procedure and their parents arent thrilled in general. Best decision we made sending him elsewhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DS hasn't started school yet so hope you don't mind that I chuck my two cents worth in. For us it is a philosophy thing we have chosen a private but non religious school (Steiner) because it feels the beat fit for us and our DS. It, like all education systems has its short comings but for us and where we live its the best option. In our situation the drawback is that it only goes through to class 7 so will have to choose another school. I had a fantastic catholic education and would love to give that to our DS but will wait and decide what will be the best for him at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I wanted a christian school with smaller classes with a great program for both gifted and special needs. As I have both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks for the replies everyone. I was asking the question as I am very interested in a private school near us which also has a very very good reputation and i like what they have to offer as well. I have had friends say that public and private are the same, without the fancy $$$ and it's pretty much for ''free''.. so why would we waste our money?!

Mind you, i have toured MANY schools locally, both public and private and no they aren't all the same. the local highschool down the road is cringeworthy. there are kids across the road at the local corner shops with only half the uniform on half the time, smoking, just hanging out. some have pink dye in their hair, some don't, but aren't they half obvious there on the main road, right across the road from the school?! these are the things that turn me off. they obviously couldn't give a rats. no way in heck i'd send my dd there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    thanks for the replies everyone. I was asking the question as I am very interested in a private school near us which also has a very very good reputation and i like what they have to offer as well. I have had friends say that public and private are the same, without the fancy $$$ and it's pretty much for ''free''.. so why would we waste our money?!

Mind you, i have toured MANY schools locally, both public and private and no they aren't all the same. the local highschool down the road is cringeworthy. there are kids across the road at the local corner shops with only half the uniform on half the time, smoking, just hanging out. some have pink dye in their hair, some don't, but aren't they half obvious there on the main road, right across the road from the school?! these are the things that turn me off. they obviously couldn't give a rats. no way in heck i'd send my dd there.
    It has more to do with the school culture than whether it's private or public. My DP went to a public school and did extremely well - aced it, went to university and he's a pretty conservative man.

His best friend the same age went to a private school and some of the stories he's told about his school.... I just the kids, the teachers... yuck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly we are catholic so sending ds to the catholic school was the idea.
    We went for an interview with the principal and had a tour of the school, ds was with us and he and us were very comfortable. The school yards are very clean, the teachers are older and have been there for many years, ds would be doing prayers and learning about our religion, he would be wearing a school uniform. This school was it for us!

The public school - the teachers are younger with a higher turnover of staff, the high school is combined with the primary school which didn't appeal to us. No school uniform. Untidy yards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

As an atheist, religious school is out. The only private schools near me are religious. So public it is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Does having pink dyed hair really impact on education? I really am not fussed about uniforms or hairdo's. I don't think it speaks negatively for the schools ability to educate kids
    no, it doesn't have an impact on education, but I would think the school would have some standards on appearance? I would think that by wearing the uniform correctly and looking appropriate - you are representing the school surely? The school I went to, pink hair etc, was certainly not allowed and had to be dyed back to a decent colour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We chose public for several reasons:

I'm atheist and didn't want my child being educated in a religious environment
    I believe in the value of public schools
    I went to private schools and they weren't that good tbh I found the kids pretentious, the schools hypocritical and let me tell you I drank as much at an expensive catholic high as at the public high I later went to Kids had just as much sex and ran amok, they were just more careful about telling their parents

our local public had the smallest class sizes, both a gifted and remedial program (which the local private didn't). It's just a better school.
    Last edited by delirium; 07-11-2012 at 12:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow, amazing how private and public can vary so much. I guess these days, we just really have to do our homework.