+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

I was in private schooling (Christian not catholic if that makes sense) until grade 6 when my mother pulled me out due to bullying. I was then sent to a public school. When I started there approx. half way through grade 6 I was so far behind. After talking to other people from the Christian school and there parents nearly everyone had the same opinion. The school focused so much on religion rather than classes that all of us were so far behind. It took me almost a year to catch up to other public school students because what they were learning was so far advanced to what I was learning.

When I left the private school the class size was about 25. By the start of grade 8 it was 9. Most parents I've since spoken to says they pulled their children ( same age as me) because of the low education level. Will defiantly be going public.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FionaV View Post
    http://www.yancoag-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/

I believe there is a similar school in Tamworth or Armidale as well.
    Thanks.

It's more expensive than the boarding schools we have as a high school option for our kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In laws said they would pay to send out kids to the Local private christian collage, so it was it was a easy choice. i have nothing again public schools.

i buy uniforms and bus costs. bus is 800 a year every day to and from. uniforms are not that bad yet. but i have only had to buy sports uniform for prep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Youngmummy2bee View Post
    I was in private schooling (Christian not catholic if that makes sense) until grade 6 when my mother pulled me out due to bullying. I was then sent to a public school. When I started there approx. half way through grade 6 I was so far behind. After talking to other people from the Christian school and there parents nearly everyone had the same opinion. The school focused so much on religion rather than classes that all of us were so far behind. It took me almost a year to catch up to other public school students because what they were learning was so far advanced to what I was learning.

When I left the private school the class size was about 25. By the start of grade 8 it was 9. Most parents I've since spoken to says they pulled their children ( same age as me) because of the low education level. Will defiantly be going public.
    I think you would be silly to immediately discount ALL private schools because of your experience at that one school. Most high class private schools have better academic results than public schools. Note I said 'high class' private schools. By that I am distinguishing the better private schools with the (often low fee) poorer quality, often heavily religious schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we chose private because we weren't happy with the public schools in our town. We were very picky with the private school that we settled on too, it's a 45 minute drive for us some days. So for us, it was a choice based on the quality of education, teaching and the culture of the school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I think you would be silly to immediately discount ALL private schools because of your experience at that one school. Most high class private schools have better academic results than public schools. Note I said 'high class' private schools. By that I am distinguishing the better private schools with the (often low fee) poorer quality, often heavily religious schools.
    But you did the exact same thing with public schools!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Ha yep I admit I did big red. Sort of. I did look around at the other public schools but none of them suited. Then i fell in love with the private school they are at. But seriously, if I found a good public school I'd send the kids there. Our local high school looks excellent so ill definitely be looking into that for the kids (as their current school is primary only).