+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    My cousin went through a period of personal problems after some horrible information about his mum came out and he had to cease all contact for legal reasons. Naturally his grades suffered, the school knew his circumstances. They said to my uncle that his grades not meeting their academic expectations meant his next years enrolment would be at risk, they then gave my uncle a few brochures on fundraising things they were doing... clearly angling for a considerable donation.

My cousin is now in public school and thriving. My uncle's loaded, but he couldn't tolerate the lack of empathy and how money could excuse or improve grades.
    Omg. :-/ disgusting.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Regarding reputation, there is a prestigious private school in my hometown which is obsessed with their reputation. It's where the wealthy families send their children.

However, the school is rife with alcohol and drug use. Their school parties were out of control and they even had a few school students who were sent away to rehab down South.
    This sounds like the catholic high I went to. 7k a year (and this was 17 years ago), a strict uniform policy with $300 blazer and tie. Wealthy families.... and kids who got blind every weekend, smoked pot, slept around. At the catholic high I went to yr 8-10 we got drunk during school hours. Partied hard and smoked pot. The only difference between us and the public kids was that we covered things up better. We usually had one person with lax parents, and everyone would party there, while telling our parents we were having sleep overs and ten pin bowling lol and these schools really made out they were the pillar of morality, and actually told us in so many words we were better than the public kids.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-11-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I just went on the website of the private school I went to and calculated how much to fit out one student would cost without of the optional items - it was well over $1000!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    $1000 !! OUCH. that's expensive. how many of each item did you calculate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I just went on the website of the private school I went to and calculated how much to fit out one student would cost without of the optional items - it was well over $1000!
    Lol I did the same thing - they need cricket uniforms, rugby uniforms, sport uniforms, swimmers, track suits plus the summer and winter uniforms!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Phew! I just went and had a stickybeak at the website where dd has her name down at.. and i calculated uniforms. $615. but that's without netball/football uniforms etc.. until i know what they would be interested in, i calculated without those. but yeah $72 for a girls dress and $40 for one wide brimmed hat.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    $1000 !! OUCH. that's expensive. how many of each item did you calculate?
    Enough for a week. That's without shoes, any specific sporting requirements and assuming the student doesn't board which would mean additional uniforms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We didn't consider anything other than public school for our children. I'm a public school teacher, so know how the system works and also know our local schools well. Private schools in this area are all strongly religious and, as we are an atheist family, this rules them immediately out of contention. For high school, the older ones went, and the younger ones will go, to a public boarding school not too far from home. The local high schools, Government or Catholic, are not good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

I didn't realize there were public boarding schools. That's interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.yancoag-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/

I believe there is a similar school in Tamworth or Armidale as well.