+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Regarding reputation, there is a prestigious private school in my hometown which is obsessed with their reputation. It's where the wealthy families send their children.

However, the school is rife with alcohol and drug use. Their school parties were out of control and they even had a few school students who were sent away to rehab down South.

The school successfully covered it all up until a few years ago when one of the students died from a drug overdose and the case went to court for manslaughter/negligence because her friends didn't call an ambulance for fear of getting into trouble. One of the teenagers on the witness stand spoke about the massive drug culture at the school.

After this all happened, the school was compelled to start an enhanced drug education program in classrooms. They should have started it long before this tragedy occurred, but they were too concerned with their reputation.

My friends who went there also had A LOT of help with school work from their teachers and it was widely known that students whose parents donated a lot of money always got really good grades

I never think much about reputation now.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 09-11-2012 at 12:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    So what happens/does it mean exactly when people say ''pushing religion down their throats''... ? what do they do?How do you know WHICH schools are more religious than others for instance as well? I have heard of some Catholic schools being heavily religious and some not.. I would have thought they would be all roughly the same, no?
    For the schools I looked at some had daily morning prayer, and daily re lessons and twice weekly religious service, in my opinion they place a bigger empisus on religion then the schools dd will be going to, where religious service is once every 1 or 2 weeks, twice weekly re lessons and no daily morning prayer. I know with both Christian morals and stories will be integrated into daily school life, but the formal instruction is heaps less

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

The public school that I pulled DD out of has an excellent reputation. People come from way away to send their kids there.
    The current private school she goes to has no reputation really, as it is a quite new primary school. But it is wonderful. I have visited and researched many school for my kids and I never bother about reputation. As a pp talked about, some of the private schools here have wonderful reps but are awful snobby places. And some have reps for getting Hugh grades but when you look into it it's because they have deliberately poached kids from other schools that will bump the average grade up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    it's because they have deliberately poached kids from other schools that will bump the average grade up.
    and booted out kids who fall below their grade expectations.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I totally agree regarding a schools reputation. I ended up going to "the drug school" for 3 years. I knew 2 girls that smoked dope. My brother went to a prestigious boys school where drugs (and not just pot) were rife and I know of a teacher there that also did drugs. The even released a press release not so long ago that they were going to introduce drug testing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    and booted out kids who fall below their grade expectations.
    Oh yes I'd forgotten about that one . Two of my friends have had that happen to their children. They both went to a prestigious, 'academic' girls school here in Adelaide, and the parents were politely asked to remove their child as the school felt their child's needs 'could be catered for better elsewhere'. How disgusting. Btw, these children were normal kids, just below average academically (and I guess not talented with sports either as a school will never kick out a potential future sports star)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I totally agree regarding a schools reputation. I ended up going to "the drug school" for 3 years. I knew 2 girls that smoked dope. My brother went to a prestigious boys school where drugs (and not just pot) were rife and I know of a teacher there that also did drugs. The even released a press release not so long ago that they were going to introduce drug testing.
    Did you go to school in Brisbane Bec?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    hehe, i remember reading that article. it's amazing what some schools preach/cover up at times.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Did you go to school in Brisbane Bec?
    No, I don't want to mention where I went to school because it wouldn't take a genius to identify me. :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Oh yes I'd forgotten about that one . Two of my friends have had that happen to their children. They both went to a prestigious, 'academic' girls school here in Adelaide, and the parents were politely asked to remove their child as the school felt their child's needs 'could be catered for better elsewhere'. How disgusting. Btw, these children were normal kids, just below average academically (and I guess not talented with sports either as a school will never kick out a potential future sports star)
    My cousin went through a period of personal problems after some horrible information about his mum came out and he had to cease all contact for legal reasons. Naturally his grades suffered, the school knew his circumstances. They said to my uncle that his grades not meeting their academic expectations meant his next years enrolment would be at risk, they then gave my uncle a few brochures on fundraising things they were doing... clearly angling for a considerable donation.

My cousin is now in public school and thriving. My uncle's loaded, but he couldn't tolerate the lack of empathy and how money could excuse or improve grades.