+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    being a private school they don't care what religion you are as long as you pay!
    This. I came from an athiest family and my parents were very honest about that at the enrolment for my school. At the end of the day, money talks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    This. I came from an athiest family and my parents were very honest about that at the enrolment for my school. At the end of the day, money talks.
    sure does! i have heard people say that schools love it when kids have siblings.. they know they will get the ''business''.. so to speak. anyone know if this is true?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

If you have one child in a private school any others get automatic acceptance into the school ( no waiting lists) but you still have to pay!

My SIL actually has 2 of her girls in 2 different private schools - different kids needing different environments

Thanks
    Reviews

I will b sending my girl to private if I'm still living here. Where I live the local state schools have terrible reputations- atrocious behaviour etc. After working in a local state school and now working in private, hands down the private is my choice. In saying that, if i had access to a reputable state school, I would send her there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If you have one child in a private school any others get automatic acceptance into the school ( no waiting lists) but you still have to pay!

My SIL actually has 2 of her girls in 2 different private schools - different kids needing different environments
    I know they definately have to pay when more than one sibling.. I think what i meant with my question was supposed to be more like , do schools like it when there are multiple siblings, therefore they know they are guaranteed more fees by the family? hope that makes sense? my SIL who works in Catholic Private schools swears by this. so just wondering.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes of course schools like it. You should have seen the principals eyes light up when she found out we had five kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I know they definately have to pay when more than one sibling.. I think what i meant with my question was supposed to be more like , do schools like it when there are multiple siblings, therefore they know they are guaranteed more fees by the family? hope that makes sense? my SIL who works in Catholic Private schools swears by this. so just wondering.
    I suppose they do but I know the main private schools in my area have long waiting lists anyway , one of my friends boys had his name down for high school at 3 months of age - he luckily just got accepted this year to start year 7 next year ( anxious 11 year wait for his parents !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think religion in schools is a concern as it leave kids open to emotional manipulation.

My brother is the only one in our family who wasn't exempted from religion (over sight by mum), he came home one day crying about being from a 'broken family', how God will not recognize him and will tell him to go away because he doesn't go to church.

I do accept this isn't the standard (he's still school aged), but my 7yo brother became very concerned about the wellbeing of his immortal soul, asking to go to church, he was really distressed about it. It's a lot of power to put into the hands of someone who isn't a qualified teacher.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I just want to touch on the "terrible reputation," issue.

What you hear, and what the reality is, are not always the same thing. I went to a high school with a "terribly reputation," but I never experienced anything horrible there. We were not in the wealthiest of areas, and you can imagine that some probably didn't come from nice backgrounds, but I learnt. I did quite well. I wasn't interested in stuffing around with bogans and wasting my time by not doing assignments. I did the work, and I did well. It had more to do with who I was, than who was also attending the school. It was also a big public school, so had lots of resources and a number of classes that you wouldn't find at many other schools. It had a lot to offer.

DD also goes to a public school, in a not-so-well-off area. We don't meet the living requirements to attend some of the nicer public schools, so I chose the best I could. It's been amazing in how it's dealt with my daughter. She's advanced academically and they have catered to her brilliantly. From the word go, teachers have been making sure she is challenged and she is sent to higher grade levels a few times a week to encourage her to continue learning, rather than bore her to death.

I was prepared that this might something I would have to fight for... something I'd have to nag the school to do... but they did it all on their own, simply asking my permission along the way.

Reputation isn't always reality.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Reputation isn't always reality.
    Agree, I swapped from a lovely private school to the cities only coed school, it had a horrid reputation and was in the 'slum' area.

The first school had a gorgeous uniform and the girls were all perfectly groomed, it had a great image. The second school had uniform for when you were 13 and 14, then school colours for 15 and 16 (blue and green, so usually jeans and a singlet), then wear what you like for 17. I had considerably more creative freedom at the latter... actually, this will sound awful... our school didn't force kids to come to school or participate by the time I swapped, so my teachers had considerably more time to work with me and were way more flexible than the private school, I also got top in 3 subjects because there was no competition...

Okay, that does sound awful.

But the freedom to be an individual the 'ick' school offered suited me so much more than the prissy private school I attended and I excelled there.