+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

Just curious what was the deciding factor when choosing a school for your child, out of public and private?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I based my decision on the school i felt best fit my child, which happened to be a public school. Whether a school was public or private was not a deciding factor for me, i looked at both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Experience, reputation, knowing other kids who went and currently go to the schools, facilities, sporting and music opportunities, with the pre school he is going too I felt most at ease and liked the teachers the best as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I went to a Catholic school from k-12 and hubby went to a public school k-12. Just from comparing our experiences in year 12, I'd almost be willing to go without food to make sure my kids could go to a private / catholic school. Hubby's last few months at school were spent unwinding, watching movies in class, and getting early marks. Mine were spent doing practice HSC papers, reviewing and re-reviewing and re-re-reviewing content we'd learnt, and having it drilled into us that this wasn't a time to slack off, rather it was a time to study harder than we'd studied before. I consider my husband to be so much smarter than me, yet I beat his marks by at least 20, and I put this down to the difference in the quality of the teaching and the schools focus on the exams.
    Whilst the HSC isn't the be all and end all, without the hard work I put in as a result of the commitment of my teachers, I wouldn't have gotten into Uni and be holding my dream job right now.
    I know obviously there are bad catholic schools and good public schools, but this has been my experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My DH was adamant his children would not suffer like he did at public schools so we chose a small k-12 school for our children.
    My DH hated school because of the teachers, he went to school in a very poor working class area where he was labelled a bully because of his size from day 1. We ran into one of his primary school teachers in our home town approximately 5 years after finishing high school. All she had to remark was "oh. Your not in jail".
    My husband is the most loyal, honest and hard working man I have ever met but they didn't care, they didn't want to know him.
    He thinks that you have to pay for what you get and that if he is paying he has more of a say.
    The school we have chosen is expensive and it makes me sad we have to pay to get a better education in our area.
    My mother has passed but she was a public school teacher for 36 years and would be very disappointed with our choice of private over public.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends on the school. At the moment there's 5 public schools I would be happy to send my child to... 2 of the schools there's no way in hell Ill be in a priority area for them so no way they'll get in and we're moving soon so it depends where we live but most likely it'll be a catholic school for us too.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't want my children taught at a religion based school, we looked at other private schools but we don't practice those teachings at home either. I liked the look/feel/vibe/philosophy of the local public school and I'm happy for them to go there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Why did you choose public/private for your kids schooling?

I'm very anti religion so that rules out private education. The cost depending on the school is a potential factor as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    I based my decision on the school i felt best fit my child, which happened to be a public school. Whether a school was public or private was not a deciding factor for me, i looked at both.
    Me too. Mine goes to a public school, but not our local one. We decided the travel to a little public school which isn't zoned was best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    i did exactly as mothers milk did....i looked at a few schools in my area and decided on a catholic school for my daughter based purely on the fact that i think she would be the happiest there. there were definatly a few dodgy catholic and public schools locally so i went one suburb away to get our school of choice. i went to both public and private school and found my education depended on the shcool itself, the peers i hung out with and me and my own motivation