+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! - Is this 'terrible two's' or something else??

DS is 22 months and for the last month or so has started chucking tantrums at everything and nothing. Sometimes he throws himself on the floor and does the whole kicking and screaming thing, sometimes he just lies there making this horrible whinging noise for AGES. I try a few times to distract him ('come on DS why don't we read a Thomas book', 'how about we put some shoes on and go outside' etc etc) but that usually doesn't work and he just gets worse, so then I ignor it.

I would say about 60% of our day now is tantrums, and the worrying thing is it's usually over nothing - like he'll get excited lunch is getting made then 2 seconds later is on the floor crying because lunch wasn't ready in an instant. Then he can take half an hour to calm down. He's becoming a nightmare to take anywhere because he screams in the pram, yet he refuses to hold my hand if I let him walk. He was having trouble getting some food on his fork at dinner the other night so DH helped him and he lost it. I could go on and on............

Is this normal and how do I handle it??? Have we hit terrible two's or should I be worried about the constant tantrums? He's always been very strong willed and bit of a handful, but this is doing my head in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, normal 22 month old behaviour I'm afraid! In fact it has started much earlier than that with both of mine! It will get better... eventually... haha. But seriously, nothing to worry about, very standard.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

decemberbubba  (05-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DD is 21 months and exactly the same. She is a tiny, disheveled walking nightmare.
    She screams, hits, bites, yells, and cries all day it seems like. I'm finding her so exhausting!
    I know some of it is frustration as her language isn't great so I'm trying so hard to be patient with her..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's just woken up from his day nap hysterical and all I can do is watch him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself. If I try to pick him up he scratches & pinches. This happens at least a few times a week. I'm really at the end of my tether

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds like my house!! We have good weeks and bad weeks but I have noticed that when she is getting sick or two yr old molars trying come through she is much worse.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I also try to limit sugar and additives and that seems to help too

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'd be watching what he is eating as well - some additives/preservatives will cause irritability so maybe write down what he eats and see if there is a pattern?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

decemberbubba  (05-11-2012),headoverfeet  (05-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies. How do you all handle the constant crying & tantrums? Do you just ignor it? And what about when you're out - do you let them carry on and continue doing what you're doing or do you drop what you're doing and go home? I just don't know how to handle it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Definatly look at diet. It has such a huge impact on kids behavior. I try and ignore it if I'm at home but its very hard, especially if its a long one! The other day I tried putting her in her room and told her to come out when she calmed down. It worked but could have been once off! I also have gone outside or Locked myself in bathroom to have a breather if its doing my head in. It is a constant challenge and I can't wait for this stage to be over. I can handle the odd tantrum but when it's all the time it's just so hard!

If we are out I deal with it by leaving/bribing/distracting....or if all else fails I say see you later and pretend to walk off, that usually works.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijahs Mum & pippi - do you know what additives/ preservatives I need to be looking out for? I try to avoid packaged food already, but I've noticed some things like dried fruit all have some sort of preservative. If I have to get packaged stuff I look for 'no artificial preservatives or colours'.