+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leaking problem

Hi, I fully breast feed by 7 week old girl, and all goes very well. The only thing is that despite the breat pads, I still leak quite a bit, sometimes all the way through my shirt. Especially now in summer with thinner shirts and lighter colours, it is quite visible and embarrassing. How do other people do this, what can you do against this? The pads are not saturated' it sort of just goes below or on the sides.
    Anyone any tips? It happens at night quite often but that is not such a problem. Out at the shops ismuch worse
    thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Leaking problem

Change them more often? What kind are you using? Disposable or washable?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Leaking problem

My DD is 9 months I still wear breastpads!! It will settle down, just change them regularly.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrien View Post
    Hi, I fully breast feed by 7 week old girl, and all goes very well. The only thing is that despite the breat pads, I still leak quite a bit, sometimes all the way through my shirt. Especially now in summer with thinner shirts and lighter colours, it is quite visible and embarrassing. How do other people do this, what can you do against this? The pads are not saturated' it sort of just goes below or on the sides.
    Anyone any tips? It happens at night quite often but that is not such a problem. Out at the shops ismuch worse
    thanks!
    You probably need to change them more often but seconding asking what you are using?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Leaking problem

I had a powerful letdown reflex and a few brands it seemed my milk hit the pad and leaked out before the pad even had a chance to soak it up...

I've tried every brand and can say with confidence the 'premium' pigeon ones are the best. They have an almost squared shape rather than the normal round ones, with gathered looking side edges and some gold lettering on the box. They are the most absorbent and comfortable. (For me).

It sounds like what happened to me, or maybe they're not positioned well, or slipping, maybe?

Also, if they are cloth pads, they need lots of washing before they become properly absorbent, but even after about 8 washes, mine were still hopeless. They were bamboo and microfiber and I was so disappointed they didn't work because I was spending a fortune on BP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    do you wear a bra or a breastfeeding singlet? I have found the singlets have thick foamy cup which would probably absorb some of the spillage to avoid it showing on your shirt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I find if you hold/push in the side your not feeding at the beginning of a feed (pre let down and for a little while after) you won't leak so bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I use the washable ones, but it's not that they're full and need change. I wear a bra during the day, and he's, some soak uproar than others. I do have a powerful letdown sometimes, it's probably like one of you said, pad doesn't have time to soak it up and it goes straight past. I'll give the square ones a try, and thanks for the other tips.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leaking problem

I second pressing on the nipple of the other side when you get let down

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leaking problem

Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    I second pressing on the nipple of the other side when you get let down
    This ^ and the disposable ones are much more absorbent. Once your milk settles down ( mine took about 3 months) this will stop happening and you may not even have to wear them anymore yay :-)