+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Help santa find a tuba or horn for my son for christmas

Ok, as wierd as this may sound, my 2.5 year old has requested a tuba from santa this year....nothing else, just this. Now i know a tuba is a little too big for him but have found out that there are tenor horns which look like smaller versions of the tuba..actually, any instrument out there that looks like a tuba will probably do. I need help from anyone out there who may know of a place or somewhere where Santa can get a second hand one of any of the above for $100 or under.Santas been living on ebay, gumtree etc for the past few moths trying to find one but they are all too $$. My son is utterly obsessed with musical instruments and the orchesta and has all the baby and toy ones that are usally found in the shops, and i know this isnt just a random thing he has thought up...
    soooo, does anyone have any sugestions as to where santa may try looking for cheap second hand instrumets? Or maybe someone here has an old one laying in the garage that they would be willing to sell? All sugestions appreciated Christmas is getting way too close

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help santa find a tuba or horn for my son for christmas

I think it is so awesome that your son has requested a tuba!! I don't know specifically where you can get one but maybe an idea would be in get in contact with your local brass band or music conservatorium. Explain what you are after and why. They may have an old slightly battered instrument that you could purchase off them for about $100. Even if they can't help you out they may know a place that can. Good luck as I said I think it is so cool!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummyBic For This Useful Post:

mummakat  (05-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyBic View Post
    I think it is so awesome that your son has requested a tuba!! I don't know specifically where you can get one but maybe an idea would be in get in contact with your local brass band or music conservatorium. Explain what you are after and why. They may have an old slightly battered instrument that you could purchase off them for about $100. Even if they can't help you out they may know a place that can. Good luck as I said I think it is so cool!
    Thanks MummyBic, never thought of that..ill go do some researching now its worth a try

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so cool that he's into music so young! I just had a thought though - Is he going to be disappointed if he can't get it to make much sound? I haven't played either of those two particular instruments so maybe others on here who have can offer some advice, but other instruments I've played, it takes awhile to be able to get your mouth in the right shape to get sound out. I've got more experience with woodwind instruments, maybe brass is easier? I know my DD (3.5) wouldn't be able to get much sound out of my flute or my friend's clarinet. I just wouldn't want him to be disappointed if he couldn't get it to make the sound he was hoping.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

mummakat  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help santa find a tuba or horn for my son for christmas

Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    It's so cool that he's into music so young! I just had a thought though - Is he going to be disappointed if he can't get it to make much sound? I haven't played either of those two particular instruments so maybe others on here who have can offer some advice, but other instruments I've played, it takes awhile to be able to get your mouth in the right shape to get sound out. I've got more experience with woodwind instruments, maybe brass is easier? I know my DD (3.5) wouldn't be able to get much sound out of my flute or my friend's clarinet. I just wouldn't want him to be disappointed if he couldn't get it to make the sound he was hoping.
    You've made a really good point Bezzy. I've played a few brass instruments over the years and I'm not sure that a 2.5 year old have the lung capacity at that age to make much of a sound. But you never know. With brass a very simple rule is the less tubing the easier it is that's why heaps of kiss start with cornets.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Help santa find a tuba or horn for my son for christmas

I have a tuba (not selling it sorry, way too sentimental) and my kids have been able to play a few notes from a young age, so I'm sure your son will have no problems.
    Either a tenor horn or a Euphonium are probably best for size.
    Try cash converters too. I know a lot of instruments end up there reasonably cheap.

Sent from my U8860 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

mummakat  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Ive thought of this one too, but no, he wont be dissapointed im sure. We have an old clarinet that he has taken owner ship of...no reed in it atm though so wont work and he just loves pretending to play and makes his own sounds with his voice. I know that he probably wont be able to get a sound out of it for quite sometime, but at least he can try and as he gets older if he still wants to he can learn. Hes been bashing away at the drums and the piano which is more than enough sound for me atm lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    I have a tuba (not selling it sorry, way too sentimental) and my kids have been able to play a few notes from a young age, so I'm sure your son will have no problems.
    Either a tenor horn or a Euphonium are probably best for size.
    Try cash converters too. I know a lot of instruments end up there reasonably cheap.

Sent from my U8860 using BubHub
    Ah, thats the other one i had heard of..the euphonium.Thanks. Looked at the online cash converters today... still quite a few hundred for instruments great suggestion though thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are on FB- we have local "Buy Sell Groups' which are a treasure trove of stuff. Maybe try there?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Help santa find a tuba or horn for my son for christmas

Well santa ended up coming and found a tenor horn (looks like a smaller tuba). We ended up finding it within the last two weeks before xmas on ebay for $60.. just needed a polish and walah! Ds was over the moon and was even quite found of the carry case it came in.thanks guys for all your suggestions and have a happy new year