+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Cats pooing in our hedge

So the neighbourhood cats have taken to pooing in our hedge. The hedge is right outside our front door. So now my lounge room smells like cat poo.

I thought neighbours were just using manure for their gardens until I heard a cat scratching around in the hedge this morning.

I think there are at least 3 or more cats using our hedge as a bathroom. The smell is getting quite nasty.

Is there a safe way to deter the cats without harming them? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cats pooing in our hedge

I think they don't like the spray of vinegar?? You could try spraying that around?

Either that or put up a fence to block it off.

And maybe check they are burying it properly to get rid of the smell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ground black pepper sprinkled in the dirt, needs to be done again after watering or rain. It makes them sneeze and they don't like it on their feet.

As it's a hedge I don't think you could do this one, but oil straight over the dirt, they don't like it on their paws.

Have you approached your neighbours about it? It really is gross. Not fair that you have to clean it up too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hedge is pretty large and we can barely get to the ground. I can try spraying some vinegar. Unfortunately we rent so alot of easy options like covering the area are not an option.

I have no idea who owns this large long haired grey cat that comes and attacks our neighbours cats. Several times this large cat has cornered the other cat and hurt it. I know people say just speak to the neighbours but I'd probably comment to them about their dogs constant barking first I do like our neighbours cats...but I just wish they would go to the bathroom away from my hedge!

Off to find some vinegar or pepper.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cats pooing in our hedge

You can put chicken wire mesh just under the soil so that they catch their claws on it when they dig- they don't like it.

You can get a dog to come and mark all around that area so that the cats don't want to come around. (We get our dog to pee in our front yard because stray cats would come over and scream at our indoor cats when they sit on the window sill. The cats smell the dog pee and stay away mostly.)

You can use a citronella spray to deter them- or any strong smelling product like Vicks vapa-rub. Wipe it around the paving or wherever possible.

And I would go talk to your neighbours. They need to take responsibility for the cats being on your property.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly dont even understand why my neighbours have these cats. They have agressive dogs in the backyard that dont let the cats anywhere near the backyard. And they scream at the cats anytime they go near their front door. So they cats are allowed in a small space in the front and thats it. Whats the point of having the cats? I just dont get it.