Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Barbies (the doll), love 'em or hate 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Ahhh the memories!

These were some of the really popular one's in the 80's:

Attachment 27334

I had the one in the blue and the heart print one.
    Omg omg I had the heart print one too! I got her for Xmas when I was like 4 or 5 but destroyed her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love Barbies, have done since i was a little girl and I collect them and keep them in their boxes.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

The heart print one is Loving You Barbie! I still have her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had Barbies as a kid. I loved them. I played with them lots.

Now, as a mother. I hate them.

Not only is it the whole impossible body image thing, but also that sure, Barbie can do whatever she wants...when she's covered in pink

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Ahhh the memories!

These were some of the really popular one's in the 80's:

Attachment 27334

The only one I didn't have out of these is the one on far right.

I also had Barbie of Barbie and the rockers and one with really long hair. My folks still have them and the car, motorbike, horse, dog ( if memory serves, his name was Prince) and Ken and the clothes and the kids love playing with them despite the fact that I "remodeled" their dresses, gave them nipples and pubic hair and Roxette haircuts! No pristine toys here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Peaches and Cream was the Barbie I never had. I had $16 and I had to choose between her and Loving You Barbie. Loving You won, but I always mourned Peaches and Cream a little.

When they re-released her a few years ago my mum bought her for me! She's still in her packaging at the top of my wardrobe, and now it's time to pass her on to DS2... But I will have a little play too
    Oh, I so want to track down and re-buy all my old Barbies now!

I had Loving You Barbie too. One of my favourites!

My parents never bought me the Barbie townhouse, which I really really wanted. They argued that Barbie couldn't actually stand up inside any of the rooms, and that it was really expensive and very rubbish. They kind of had a point, but I still feel like that would have completed my life...

Thanks
    Reviews

I had tones of Barbies and their accessories (sports car, caravan, horse) and could never understand why my nana would buy me fake Barbies from Franklins (brand snob at 4 haha, but they were soft plastic which made them weirdly bendy / squishy).

I understand that people have issues with the whole body image thing, but don't really understand why... The toys people choose to give their children is of course up to them, but I don't understand why people think a thin, tall doll could be any worse than a "fat" baby doll? The girl who's picture is posted a few pages back clearly has other issues and they're being expressed through wanting to look like a plastic toy... Sorry if this sounds judge-y and again, people's kids can play with whatever they want of course but I don't understand the concerns and am hoping someone can explain it to me?

Thanks
    Reviews

Girl X - my Dad made me a barbie house. It was amazing and they fitted properly in it!

Was a tad cramped in there with all my barbies though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Barbies (the doll), love 'em or hate 'em

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Girl X - my Dad made me a barbie house. It was amazing and they fitted properly in it!

Was a tad cramped in there with all my barbies though.
    I am soooo going to call my dad and ask him what on earth he was thinking by not doing precisely this...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    My parents never bought me the Barbie townhouse, which I really really wanted. They argued that Barbie couldn't actually stand up inside any of the rooms, and that it was really expensive and very rubbish. They kind of had a point, but I still feel like that would have completed my life...
    I had the townhouse! I'm sorry to burst any bubbles but it totally rocked. Totally. Rocked.