• Hate 'em

15 31.91%
  • Don't really care

19 40.43%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think the fact that grown women are buying Barbies for themselves (even if they pretend they're actually for the kids) says a lot.

You know how they did a re-release of some previously popular Barbies recently? My mother went and purchased a 60s one because in the 60s, she had one (it had silver go-go boots or some such thing). Hers was ginger, rather than blonde, but she just HAD to buy it. At first I thought she'd got it for DD... but nope. It just stays in its box in her bedroom. For her to relish the memory of a doll she loved as a little girl.

I even feel a bit precious about DD using my old Barbies. She doesn't seem to treat them with the same level of care I did... and it makes me feel funny when she plays with them in case she ruins them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Barbies (the doll), love 'em or hate 'em

I don't have any particular issue with Barbie. I remember playing with Barbie dolls as a kid, my sister and I had a few I think. But I don't remember having any particular one, if ds wants one I'd say he'll have a rough time convincing his dad - very gender stereotyping

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Barbies (the doll), love 'em or hate 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Her sleeves make up for the rest. AND the translucence of her skirt. It's like a saucy meringue.
    Peaches and Cream was the Barbie I never had. I had $16 and I had to choose between her and Loving You Barbie. Loving You won, but I always mourned Peaches and Cream a little.

When they re-released her a few years ago my mum bought her for me! She's still in her packaging at the top of my wardrobe, and now it's time to pass her on to DS2... But I will have a little play too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I had barbies as a kid. My fav was barbie and the Rockers too ahhh the 80's.... lol and the scary thing is I still remember the song off the cassette

As as an adult I don't love them, but I prefer barbie over Bratz.

OH MY GOSH! I totally had the Barbie and the Rockers movie. It was so awesome.. Funny I now have one of the songs in my head. She was amazing! May of never gotten into Barbie, but having a pretty woman hold the very first concert IN SPACE. Did alot for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Peaches and Cream was the Barbie I never had. I had $16 and I had to choose between her and Loving You Barbie. Loving You won, but I always mourned Peaches and Cream a little.
    I love that you still thought about it later.

I remember I wanted gymnast Barbie at one point. She had a horrid neon pink jumpsuit and bendy legs and arm joints... but I wanted her.

It was sucky that I never got her... but what made it suckier was that Mum purchased that very Barbie for a kid she used to look after (Family Daycarer) for her birthday. I was FURIOUS, and tbh, I'm still a bit bitter about it after all these years. She could have picked ANY OTHER BARBIE... but nope, had to get the one I wanted but never got.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got a few when I was a kid - but got banned after I flushed their heads down the toilet.... I was more into Lego, and collecting tadpoles and cicadas.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Barbies (the doll), love 'em or hate 'em

LOL, I can see this thread turning into a group therapy session

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ahhh the memories!

These were some of the really popular one's in the 80's:

80's barbies.jpg

I had the one in the blue and the heart print one.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (06-11-2012),Guest654  (06-11-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had dentist Barbie and pregnant Barbie.

But I really loved my Baby Born doll so I don't remember Barbie as the toy of my childhood!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Barbies (the doll), love 'em or hate 'em

Degrassi, I had 3 of those!! Wow, so many memories!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast