15 31.91%
  • Don't really care

19 40.43%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't love them, don't hate them. I had them as a kid and did play with them but I had other toys I played with more. I never really looked at the body shape or anything. I just used to play families with them and make them go to the beach or go to school or something.

My kids have them now. They LOVE buying them and always have some Barbie they MUST have, but they rarely play with them!

I probably hate some of the Barbie movies more than the Barbie dolls themselves. I don't think I have ever come across such ridiculous plot lines (A Fairy Secret when Ken is kidnapped by a fairy queen who wants to marry him. Really?!?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Barbies (the doll), love 'em or hate 'em

I had these two! ImageUploadedByBub Hub1352076491.975762.jpg
    I neither like them or hate them!
    My dd is 8 months and I can't wait to buy her dolls and ponies and princesses it will certainly be a nice change from cars, trucks, and dinosaurs

Thanks
    Reviews

Omg sassy mummy
    Sparkle eyes barbie I remember my friends had her... I always wanted one
    And I loved the 90210 dolls I had a Brandon Walsh ken. But I always wanted the Dylan/ luke perry!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I loved Barbies. I admit, I was Barbie spoilt and had about 3 crates full of them and countless accessories. I had the houses, the cars the pets, the men, the friends, the shoes, the clothes...you name it. I would even make my own clothes for them when I got bored of the plethora of outfit to choose from.

I am soo incredibly far from Barbie image now as an adult, so it obviously had no effect on my image whatsoever. I gave all of my barbie stash to DP niece a few years ago.

I work with school aged kids and last week some of the girls were playing with Monster High dolls. I was looking at them and they were telling me all about them and I asked one of the mums "what about Barbie? Is she not cool anymore?" and she said "oh god no, get with the program (in a playful school kid voice)" and said that Barbie is old news now and these dolls are better because they encourage acceptance of all types.....or something like that. To me, its just a doll but I know to others they could mean so much more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing barbie was good for was hanging from a rope or tying her to a tree/chair/top bunk. Oh she was good to drive my trucks and cars sometimes.

DD1 loved barbie, DD2 really only likes to do her hair, but she is only 5 so still a few years of play left in barbie yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I loved playing Barbies as a kid. My kids have a tonne of them and it isn't as much fun anymore. I just don't have the patience to dress them, try and keep shoes on their feet or do their hair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have to say I absolutely loved Barbie. I vividly remember the overwhelming joy I felt when I received the Barbie camper from my grandparents for my 9th birthday!

I totally get the image thing though and feel quite strongly about setting a realistic one for my daughter. But for me, I stopped playing with Barbies long before I started thinking or caring about body image. Up to her whether she likes them though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wasn't a huge fan of Barbie as a kid. However for some odd reason I got one when I was 11. It was the 1996 Olympic Gymnast Barbie, one of the first Barbies to have knee and elbow joints.
    I ended up cutting her hair freakishly short, then dying it pink with cough syrup.

My sisters on the other hand loved them. Had 50 Barbies between them.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I couldn't stand barbie dolls as a child and still have no like for them at all. However DD can like what she likes and if she wants them I won't argue.

I would hope that she liked Disney princesses etc a bit more though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had no interest in Barbie as a kid, I prefered soft toy animals and stuff, wasn't into dolls.

I don't love nor hate them. I don't get the hate. I can't see the whole body image argument at all. They're just dolls.

My 15mo DD already has one. DH bought it for her. SHe liked it for a little bit but she's not really interested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast