+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

200 per week for 2 adults and 1 toddler.. eek how do ppl get their shopping bill so low??

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Can I hijack and ask for the ladies who spend $200 or less per week in groceries, what type of meals and snacks do you eat? I have no idea how I can get my grocery bill that low. (I suppose I buy a lot of Packaged stuff).
    We meal plan usually, and DH takes lunch most days (leftovers or a batch of something ill make at the beginning of the week). Meals are usually pretty simple but tasty and healthy - steak and salad, stir fries, roast and vegies etc. We snack on fruit, nuts, and vegies etc. Only packaged foods I buy is muesli, yoghurt, vita wheats, canned tomatoes for spag bolg, and ice blocks as a treat in the evening.
    The butcher and fruit shop I go to are really good quality and fresh, and reasonably priced, although it took me a little while to find them. I also do Coles online to stop impulse buys (and for the convenience!!).

In fact, the online coles shopping would be the thing that makes the biggest difference IMO...I can stick to my list, saves so much time!( takes me about 5-10 mins to place an order), and I get it delivered to my door. Amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Between $100 - $200 a fortnight. Two adults, two children, 1 bf bubba (he doesn't count with groceries lol) and 1 border collie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aroha0509 For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (05-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Breakfast - toast cereal or fruit

Lunches are usually left over from dinner, toasted cheese sandwich, scrambled eggs.

Dinners - lately I've been doing lots of oven things, like zucchini slice, tuna mornay, quiche, homemade pizza make my own base, baked rissotto, lasanga, homemade pies (I'm going to be making a savoury pumpkin pie later in the week I'm excited about trying) because I can prepare when get a chance, cook it, and it doesn't need to be served right that moment (compared to like a stir fry or something that I need to stand in the kitchen can't leave and serve immediately)

But also we do have stir fries, salads, sometimes meat & steamed veg, pasta occasionally, satay chicken and rice with veg, also I haven't for a while but slow cooker casseroles, curried sausages, other stew type things.

Snacks - fruit, I bake fruit muffins, also for the kids cruskits and corn thins, yoghurt (natural or Greek we add some honey)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aroha0509 View Post
    Between $100 - $200 a fortnight. Two adults, two children, 1 bf bubba (he doesn't count with groceries lol) and 1 border collie
    that's the same as us and that's our weekly total! how do u do it???!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    that's the same as us and that's our weekly total! how do u do it???!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub
    Local market for fruit and veg - $30 gets us 2 weeks worth. Buy meat in bulk from the butcher works out at between $40 and $50 a week, school snacks and other essentials from Aldi. Bubba is in cloth nappies and we buy the massive toilet paper packs from Big W once every 6 weeks or so. We just shop around a lot as well. We're on a super limited income atm so we taught ourselves quickly lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aroha0509 For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (05-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont find butchers or fruit n veg shops any cheaper than the supermarkets tbh, in fact sometimes they are dearer.

Maybe buying from markets etc would be cheaper but you have to get there first and has to be when u actually need the food! Guess it depends on where you live to and whats around....

For those that buy meat in bulk do you divide it up into meal size portions at home or does the butcher do it for you?

Thanks
    Reviews

Our markets are on weekly so no worries about getting there and our local butcher discounts when you buy in bulk so it works out heaps cheaper for us and better quality than the supermarkets. We split into meal size portions when we get home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok we spend $450 a fortnight on food, sometimes more as i previously stated.

We eat very little junk

I buy the cheap loo paper, use vinegar to clean most things

Breakfasts - cereal like all bran, weetbix. Toast, eggs or porridge

Lunches - crackers with tuna, salads or sandwiches and fruit

Snacks - fruit, homemade muffins, yogurt

Dinners - slow cooker meals, roasts, steak and veg, chicken and veg, lasagna, toasties, baked spuds, soup, pasta bakes occasionally, home made healthy burgers, home made veg pizzas, salmon wedges and salad etc

Nappies for DD is included.

Plus the standard staples (bread, milk, tea, lunch meat - maybe $5 worth if that, muesli bars.....lots of fruit n veg

Im extremely careful, shop for specials but wont sacrifice eating well to save a few bucks. But as you can see we eat fairly simple, healthy meals - nothing gourmet or special

I have no idea how we could possibly get that amount lower without eating poorly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aroha0509 View Post
    Our markets are on weekly so no worries about getting there and our local butcher discounts when you buy in bulk so it works out heaps cheaper for us and better quality than the supermarkets. We split into meal size portions when we get home
    We dont really have markets close by, thats the issue and i cant get there when they are on (saturday mornings)

Room to freeze bulk meat is an issue too plus i doubt our butcher would discount too much they are very expensive, maybe i need to shop around a bit....