+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Can I hijack and ask for the ladies who spend $200 or less per week in groceries, what type of meals and snacks do you eat? I have no idea how I can get my grocery bill that low. (I suppose I buy a lot of Packaged stuff).

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

We spend $150-200 per week (2 adults, 2 kids, lots of allergies/dietary restrictions) and we eat pretty damn well. I prob spend $50 a week on fruit & veg, $40 on meat and the balance on fridge & dry goods. We make everything from scratch, buy our veg from a market and are careful about wastage (cook what we need, leftovers get eaten)
    Eta meals & snacks are "meat & veg" meals, a fair bit of rice, buckwheat, lentils, eggs, pancakes. Dh takes leftovers for lunch mixed with rice. Snacks are fruit/crackers/dried fruit, or for me yoghurt/cheese. We bake too, don't buy soft drink, chocolate (well I do sometimes but I hide it lol). We have meat or fish just about every day.
    Last edited by Gothel; 05-11-2012 at 21:20.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Can I hijack and ask for the ladies who spend $200 or less per week in groceries, what type of meals and snacks do you eat? I have no idea how I can get my grocery bill that low. (I suppose I buy a lot of Packaged stuff).
    I havent replied to this thread yet, but our grocery bill is under that for 2 adults and a 2.5 yo. We meal plan and eat vegetarian at least once a week, something mince based once a week, I will do things like buy a chook and roast it one night then make chicken soup the next, we eat lots of slow cooked cheap cuts and everything is bulked up with loads of veggies and pulses. I make all sauces etc from scratch, which I think makes it much cheaper. We don't eat much packaged foods at all.
    For snacks we have fruit, dried fruit, puffed corn (i think its awfully bland but DS loves it) rice cakes or dry biscuits with spreads or homemade dips, yogurt (i buy a big tub of Greek yogurt and will mix in frozen berries and honey), um... I don't really snack that much. For DS along with those listed above I bake a bit, too. Homemade muesli bars and anzac biscuits are 2 faves, sometimes muffins. He also likes chickpeas and frozen green peas as snacks.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

$200 a fortnight,
    Me, dp, ds, 3 cats, (was) 4 rabbits and two goldfish who don't count.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    For breakfast it's a choice of weet bix, oats, toast or eggs for the kids. Occasionally i will buy rice bubbles or the likes when the kids are pestering me for it.
    Lunch for ds2 usually is sandwhich, yoghurt, cheese, crackers, tinned spaghetti, fruit, etc.
    Ds1 has similar but is more fussy so i usually use packaged crap as a lunch box filler for him.
    For me i usually have a salad wrap or salad for lunch. I snack on nuts, vita weet, fruit, carrot sticks, etc. I have to follow a low GI diet which sucks so i have no variety!

Dinners i like to go for easy meals like stir fries, curries, spag bol, etc.. All vego versions though.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

You ladies must be some good shoppers... I wish I could get my grocery bill down. I spend on average 300 a week for 2 adults and 4 children. Bub is still on formula and in nappies, but my kids eat a ridiculous amount of food, fruit in particular. I hate to think what I spend on fruit each week...

Thanks
    Reviews

Omg!!! I feel really odd now lol. DP and myself usually spend $100-$150 every fortnight (sometimes stretching to 3). Once bub comes along tho it will undoubtably increase lol. I guess i learnt from a good teacher tho, try make as much as possible from scratch and fruit and veg shops and butchers shops are usually always better than coles or woolies.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I would think packaged food would be cheaper? I made 1.5L of strawberry Icecream tonight that cost about $22!

Thanks
    Reviews

I buy extra when we dont need to, this fortnights 'needs' to complete meals should fall at a max of $50 as we have alot of spare in the freezer,
    The rest will be used to replace the meat we are eating, buy extra tined goods, extra fruit and veg and milk and bread,
    Doing it this way i never run out if food and always have enough,
    I rarely have to do a 'big' shop and have the money on hand if stuff comes on special.

Breakfasts for us are usually cerial, oats, toast or eggs

Lunch for me is a salad and sandwich, ds and dp will have the left over pizza

Dinner is slow cook beef and barley,

I am currently calorie counting so have been trying to cut alot of junk but it means to reach the 1200 cals i have to eat alot more food.

Eg tomorrow my meal plan is

Breakfast - caramel latte with lite milk, nutrigrain with 1/3 cup milk and a banana (ds will have banana, nutrigrain and milk)

Lunch - salad (green beans, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, celery ) + sandwich with margarine and jam (ds having left over pizza ) and a coffee with lite milk

Dinner beef and barley soup and a cup of tea with lite milk

Our snacks are orange, apple, yogurt & 2 boiles eggs and i am still not at 1200 cals

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I would think packaged food would be cheaper? I made 1.5L of strawberry Icecream tonight that cost about $22!
    Lol....I know what you mean sometimes to buy all the ingredients, it's cheaper to buy packaged.