+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    i dont know how u do it and i find coles quite expensive here

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Typically the meat I buy each week would be 2 chicken breasts, 500g lean beef mince, 500g chicken or pork mince and then maybe some sausages, or steak, or lamb chops or roast or whatever.

I then buy fruit and veg which is usually something like banana's, apples (whatever is cheapest, we don't have a firm favourite) pears, mangoes, kiwi, passionfriut, mandarins, carrots, capsicum, cauliflower, broccoli, snow peas/ beans, lettuce (I buy mixed in the bag although it's more expensive, but a whole iceberg lettuce doesn't have the same nutritional content AND we never finish a whole one), celery, onion etc. It may vary depending on season and what I have planned for meals. I usually buy enough veg to last a fortnight, but fruit is a weekly re-stock.

We also use a lot of eggs (I love scrambled eggs, I use them for baking and omelettes are good to use up veg at the end of the week).

Bread- Coles bakery is the best- you know it's fresh, and as far as I can see there is no 282 or similar in it.

I buy Pauls (I think?) milk because DP refuses the stuff that was on ACA recently (I can't even remember what all the hoo-haa was about- but the ONE time he watches ACA and he finds out about the milk and so I'm back to paying $3+ a litre!)

We snack on baked goods, made at home. Lots of rice crackers with salsa, the Coles brand fruit/cereal bars for the boys, yoghurt etc.

If I was to be honest, some weeks I don't buy enough food for all of us.. but it's important I keep it to the $150 max per week, or we'll be toast. I would rather go without and let the boys eat than indulge in something like Tim-tams and then not be able to pay other bills etc.

ETA- of course I remember after submitting the post- the milk fiasco was all about permeate. So we buy permeate free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Hmm so seems like most people have the same budget as me! I think my problem is I spend too much on snacks and non essentials like chocolate, chips, soft drink etc and not enough on meal ingredients! I also think I should shop at Aldi more, because I tend to buy everything at woollies...
    I don't *include* those in my grocery budget. I shop for FOOD in one hit because they arent FOOD. Crap junk comes out of my "pocket money". I get $50 a week for outings, bought coffees, if the kids need anything. And junk food comes out of that.

I find I buy a lot less if I feel like it's *my personal money* being spent on crap.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Phony  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

$150 a week for 2 adults - sometimes less. That includes a meal for DH to take for lunch to work (either leftovers or I'll make up a big batch of something at the start of the week). I do online shopping at Coles which is usually 50-60 (household, cleaning, staples), then butcher and fruit shopping at the local shops (much fresher and better quality!). We don't really eat chips, soft drink, sweet biscuits etc unless its a special Friday/sat night treat which we'll go and buy specially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a heads up on milk, my family work at Norco and they assure me that reagrdless of which brand you buy from them, i.e Homebrand or Name brand, it all comes from the same line. All the staff do is change the tops of the bottles and then they go and get lables. She says all milk they produce is permeate free, including the $3 for 3 litres variety. She wouldn't lie to me but I realise most people won't believe me...lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just can't get it below $180 and TBH I'm not particularly sure I want to. We spend $180 on healthy food only, our Friday night treats are paid separately. I think if we went under our $180 per week we wouldn't get enough nutritional intake as this amount includes all of our wholegrains, 5 serves of veg and 2 fruit etc etc. We do snack, but healthy snacks such as fruit. Don't eat red meat very often at all (maybe a few times a year), just fish and chicken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    $200 - $300 a week
    2 adults one child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We spend around $260 a week for a family of 6 .
    We are vegetarian so save on meat.
    I shop at coles and the discount fruit & veg store.

My main tip would be to menu plan the week, so write down what you plan for dinner each night, what you need for school lunches, what you need to bake etc.

With dinners I plan a few 'cheap' meals through the week such as fried rice, spaghetti, soups, curry's, stirfrys etc.
    I also use garlic bread, roast potato's & pumpkins or other filling breads as a side dish with meals to bulk up meals for the kids.

With school lunches I don't buy mini packets of stuff, I buy large bags, boxes of stuff and divide them into mini zip lock.
    Such as, pretzels, popcorn, chips, dried cereals, sultanas and seeds, big cans of 2 fruits, bags of crackers.
    I bake any other snacks for the lunchbox, pikelets, scones, muesli slice, muffins, cookies, mini pizza's etc.

I get homebrand items where i can and buy things on special.

My local bakery has a 'day old bread' special and i can pick up loafs for $1.00 each, same with rolls 6 x rolls for $1.00 BARGAIN!!

I get one treat each for the kids on shopping day usually a choccy bar thats on special for $1 each or some chocolate custards.

Make bigger dinners and use leftovers for lunch the next day.

Make the kids snack on fruit and veg more.
    My kids are always heading for the pantry to find snack after snack and avoid the fruit so I make sure they have 2 x fruit & veg in their lunch box and only 1 snacky type food.
    Chopped carrot and celery or melon balls in a container is a cheap healthy snack.

Also pasta & potato salad and rice salad can be made cheaply and in bulk to use for work and school lunches and as a side dish with dinner.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 09-12-2012 at 09:03.

Thanks
    Reviews

You could stick to that budget betterif to avoid chocolate and soft drink.

I don't buy chocolate or soft drink, and we don't eat tinned foods, apart from baked beans, so our grocery bills are high. But, I don't compromise on food. I cook using fresh ingredients everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Probably $160-$200 a week for 2 adults and 2 school aged kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

2 adults and 2 kids anywhere between 160-200 a week. Try to keep main meals at dinner under $12 a meal. Getting harder and harder these days. Doesnt matter where I shop! Woolies has the biggest range for DH and his healthy eating (hes trying to bulk up etc)