+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I spend about $130-$150 a week for two adults and two 4 year olds.

It includes 4 or 5 nights worth of meat, veg, fruit, salad stuff, baking needs, toiletries and items for the boys' at daycare. (All of their carers have commented to me that they eat A LOT).

I try and buy as little as we can get away with, because it is such a fortune. I'm really not looking forward to when they're teenagers- I'm worried that they eat a lot now!

Some weeks I will spend just under $100, and others I have blown out to $170, it just depends on what we need each week.

This is all done at Coles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Hmm so seems like most people have the same budget as me! I think my problem is I spend too much on snacks and non essentials like chocolate, chips, soft drink etc and not enough on meal ingredients! I also think I should shop at Aldi more, because I tend to buy everything at woollies...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Our budget is $200 a fortnight and that includes take away, dog food and cat food. we don't always spend that much either.

Me and DH are vegans though the only meat we buy is for DD who eats salmon and chicken.

We eat a lot of beans and legumes. We also eat super healthy, no junk or processed food which helps cut costs.
    Last edited by waterlily; 05-11-2012 at 07:52.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (05-11-2012)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    See, I'm not a big Aldi fan. I don't like that a large percentage of their stuff is imported (I may be corrected on this, but when they first began nearly all of it was important) and I would rather pay extra to support SPC/Ardmona (local to me) than to give my money to some Italian farmers (or people from wherever outside Aus).

I also like choice. If I'm after a packet of chips for example, I like a few brands to choose from. Aldi just stock the one brand of each item and that's it.

I also like having my items bagged for me- it's not a deal breaker, but it's hard going shopping with my two rowdy kids- and after half an hour in the supermarket, they're bored and annoying each other.

I do try to spend the vast amount of money on meal items, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I try to bake at least once a week for that something sweet (at least I know what's in it!) and for snacks we do rely a LOT on fruit (but even that is expensive- especially when your kids love mangoes!)
    But even so, it all adds up. Cereal STARTS at $5 per box, and 4 of us having some every morning- it goes quickly. I let my boys pick one treat packet of biscuits per week- that can be anywhere from $2-$5 depending on what they pick.
    It's that weird time of year in vic where it can be really hot (yesterday 33) and then quite chilly (today 23) so some nights we want veg with our dinner, some nights we want salad. So I have to have items for both.
    Because I'm trying to shed weight with zumba, pasta and rice are out as a dinner option, so those cheap meals are put on the backburner.
    It's very hard with supermarkets making a monopoly and we have no choice BUT to pay their prices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

I think we need to become vegetarians lol!

We have a budget of $450 a fortnight for me dh and 2 yr old dd that includes nappies which will soon be eliminated i hope....yay!

We eat quite healthy which is more expensive and i meal plan (dinners) for the fortnight so we have dinner every day. Breakfast and lunches are easy.

We buy very little junk.

I really dont think we would b able to reduce that budget either. Food is just sooooo expensive atm.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Phony  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

also we try not to eat too much pasta and rice too and we eat 2 or 3 cheap meals a week like soup/ toasties / baked potatoes

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I spend about $130-$150 a week for two adults and two 4 year olds.

It includes 4 or 5 nights worth of meat, veg, fruit, salad stuff, baking needs, toiletries and items for the boys' at daycare. (All of their carers have commented to me that they eat A LOT).

I try and buy as little as we can get away with, because it is such a fortune. I'm really not looking forward to when they're teenagers- I'm worried that they eat a lot now!

Some weeks I will spend just under $100, and others I have blown out to $170, it just depends on what we need each week.

This is all done at Coles.
    i dont know how u do it and i find coles quite expensive here

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For me and DP we spend $30 on meat, $60 on fruit and veg and maybe $30 on pantry staples a fortnight. Occasionally more when we need to stock up on cleaning products, bunny needs etc.

ETA that doesn't include petrol which is about $50 a fortnight. So about $170 a fortnight. There's a lot we could do without though.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 05-11-2012 at 07:57.

Thanks
    Reviews

$350 - $400 a week for 2 adults and a 2-year-old. I make everything from scratch and we don't buy any junk at all but it's all certified organic and we eat lots of expensive superfoods. I'd really love to cut down and need to start looking at bulk buying, co-ops, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

We have 2 adults, a 2yr old, a 4yr old, 2 cats and a bird.

Our groceries cost $100 a week but that doesn't include meat, as we buy it in bulk every 3 months and then we spend about $100 for that 3 months worth.

Oh and I only buy soft drink and snack foods at aldi. I hate their fruit and veggies, it is never fresh enough or last Long enough

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub