+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Frozen fries. We steam the vegies and it differs for the meat. Grilling is our main option, although we try and mix it up by using leftovers and being creative e.g. chicken parmas with the leftover ham, ham or chicken scrolls, savoury mince, bolognaise mix. For us it's about living within our means, we can't afford to spend more than $150 on groceries a week, and I get horrible bloating from most foods so it's just easier to stick with what I know won't affect me.A typical day for me is:breakfast - 3 weetbix made with boiling water and 2 sugarslunch - 2-3 slices of ham with salad (usually carrots, cucumber and lettuce)dinner - meat & vegsnacks - 3 saladas, 1 apple, 1 bananadrinks - 2 cups of black tea with 2 sugars, 2L water.If I'm feeling really hungry I have a supply of almonds that I snack from or I'll make myself a vegemite sandwich, but I'm pretty used to my diet now so the amount is perfect for me.DH has a lot more food than me, he normally has a similar breakfast, for lunch he'll have a ham and cheese sandwich and then a peanut butter sandwich, snacks are homemade cakes, biscuits, slices etc. And we always have a supply of jelly that DH can eat if he's still hungry after dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always feel guilty after reading threads like this.

Our diet is pretty poor here and we spend a lot of money because we're lazy when it comes to cooking.

The kids eat mostly fruit/veggies/meat and bread/crackers. But we also buy lots of packages snacks like muesli bars and le snacks and rice wheels etc.

As for me, gosh.. I eat very poorly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Are you FT or PT?

If you can get a deep freezer and batch cook. Today I'm cooking mince dishes. I have 3kgs of mince of which I will make 2 lasagnas, 1 mince pie, 12 curry puffs, rissoles and taco mince. All in 90min from scratch. that's 6 meals.

Each week I cook a different meat type and freeze the food. All you do then is defrost and add a salad/Veges.

Tomorrow is my baking day - 90 min to make custard tarts, 2 batches of different biscuits, low fat raspberry cupcakes and banana bread.

3hrs of cooking a week I make roti bread and a salad daily but otherwise that's it.
    FT....

I don't have room for a deep freezer in the kitchen but perhaps when hubby cleans out the garage we will have room there. Great ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I get home from work and the school run around 5.45-6.00 pm depending on how many errunds I've had to run on the way home. I manage to cook every night. It's harder without DP's help (if he's away/working late) but still doable.

As soon as we get in, I will make a start on dinner. I don't cook involved meals on weeknights, I save those for Friday/Sat/Sun nights. The other night's example: baked salmon with tarragon vinigarette and steamed asparagus/cous cous. I popped the salmon on some baking paper, seasoned, bit of olive oil, covered with lemon and fresh thyme - wrapped it and put it in the oven for 15 minutes. While that was baking I made a quick sauce with white wine vinegar and a few other bits and pieces, then quickly steamed the asparagus and put the cous cous on. I'd estimate all up less than half an hour.

Then DP does the dishes

See if you can get a copy of Jamie's 15 minute meals. They're fantastic for your situation, his show is also on tv.

PS: If you would like I can PM you some of my weeknight dinners
    Jamie's 15 minute meals... I'll have to buy that. If its not too much trouble one or two weeknight dinners would be great, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I disagree that eating healthy in expensive well it not the case in this house anyway. I go to a fruit and veggie shop that sells seconds and seconds means they have a couple marks here and there and I get a trolly full of fresh fruit and veggies for around $30. I always have apples and bananas and cut up watermelon in the fridge and that's pretty much what my boys snack on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    I disagree that eating healthy in expensive well it not the case in this house anyway. I go to a fruit and veggie shop that sells seconds and seconds means they have a couple marks here and there and I get a trolly full of fresh fruit and veggies for around $30. I always have apples and bananas and cut up watermelon in the fridge and that's pretty much what my boys snack on.
    That would be dream for me. Most places don't have that option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We eat super cheap because we have to. I'd say about $80 p/week for two adults and a 3.5 year old. We stay thin because we can't afford expensive food! I would be 400kgs if I was rich, I tell you.

We save money because 1. most meals are vegetarian 2. I usually only buy what is in season/on special/from wholesalers/in bulk 3. I cook a lot.

The most expensive thing for us is fruit, which my son will just eat for every single meal if I let him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've bought myself a copy of Eat Well, Save More.
    I've already got some great ideas between the book and on this thread.
    I don't expect miracles just yet, but I am so sick to death of my grocery bill climbing and climbing.
    So, little changes starting from now, and soon enough I'll be a thrifty shopper, weeee heeee

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    I've bought myself a copy of Eat Well, Save More.
    I've already got some great ideas between the book and on this thread.
    I don't expect miracles just yet, but I am so sick to death of my grocery bill climbing and climbing.
    So, little changes starting from now, and soon enough I'll be a thrifty shopper, weeee heeee
    Thank you! I've just this book on iBooks on my iPad it is great! I already have picked up some super cheap lunch ideas and I'm only on the first few pages!