+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Usually between $150-$200 a f/n. We usually go to Aldi for pantry/freezer/cleaning items, meat pack from butchers and woolies or coles for fruit/veg and some other things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrskc View Post
    I cook a lot of home made meals, limit pre-packaged foods, and DD is at a daycare that provides all meals so we only really need to buy food for her on the weekends. Breakfast is normally weetbix, snacks are biscuits or fruit, lunch is either a sandwich or ham and salad, and dinner most nights is veggies and some type of meat, normally chicken.

Our basic weekly grocery list is:
    $6 milk
    $3 bread
    $2 1kg packet of chips
    $10 worth of chicken/meat
    $5 of frozen veggies
    $4 juice
    $5 ham
    $5 cereal
    $3 biscuits
    $5-10 fruit

Of course that is for a week where we don't need essentials like toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo etc. I aim for 1 week a month that our groceries are under $50 and those weeks I will try and make meals from things we already have at home (I tend to buy in bulk when theres a good deal so our pantry is always overflowing!). Most weeks we spend $75 and that covers everything we need.
    this would last a few days in our house lol. We eat fresh vegies. Kilos of fruit. We go thru 3L of milk every day or two. and 10 bucks of meat would be lucky to last 2 days. Do you only eat 1-2 meat meals a week? what else to you have for main meals? as you haven't listed any ingredients for main meal bar a packet of frozen vegs and some meat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Very true. I can't believe the price of fruit and veg lately. It cost me $1.75 for ONE lime the other day. It's just insanity. Some families will have to work out whether they can afford to eat properly or pay their bills.
    We go thru probably a kilo of just grapes. $9 at woolies here. $4 for a punnet of strawberries. $5 for a kilo of pinky lady apples. $4 for a kilo of bananas. So that's $22 just there and that's not fresh veges which we eat heaps of.

and yes it seems to cut your budget you have to eat unhealthy or not eat much lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

I wouldn't mind paying so much if it was quality produce. But at my local woolies and Coles it's just a joke, the bananas lately are awful, strawberries are gross and nothing lasts. There is nothing worse than paying $9 a kg for tomatoes only to find they are yucky after a few days!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    yep same here. I'm a huge strawberry fan and went shopping yesterday to find my local woolies strawberries were half rotten we have no fruit and veg or farmer markets either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    We go thru probably a kilo of just grapes. $9 at woolies here. $4 for a punnet of strawberries. $5 for a kilo of pinky lady apples. $4 for a kilo of bananas. So that's $22 just there and that's not fresh veges which we eat heaps of.

and yes it seems to cut your budget you have to eat unhealthy or not eat much lol
    I would honestly hate to even work out how much we spend on fruit. We buy it in our regular weekly shops but we do run out mid-week so I do a grocery run on way home from work. Same with most veg that isn't easily stored like carrots/potatoes. So again I will have to top up on things like salad leaves.

We will eat an apple each per day. So there's about two bulk packs of them from the supermarket. Approx $10 in apples alone

We very very rarely eat red meat but two nights a week we will have fish. And at least two nights it will be chicken. Some will be vego but something like a soup packed full of veg and lentils with toast and goats cheese with fresh chives. So not even a really cheap veg meal.

I do try all of the other money-saving things like vinegar for cleaning, cloth pads, etc but food is one I'd rather just admit defeat and pay for if it means we eat properly..... I feel awful for those who can't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2 adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs. At least $1,200 per month.
    We buy good quality though, lots of fruit and vegies, lots of snacks for lunchboxes etc, the butter we buy costs $7, lots of low fat and sugar products. We don't buy any home brand or imported products.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Yep our coles shop is $250-300 a fortnight. I spend an absolute fortune on fruit and veg, and we eat free range chicken a few nights a week, plus one mince meal. I must spend at least $50 a week on fruit and veg alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    this would last a few days in our house lol. We eat fresh vegies. Kilos of fruit. We go thru 3L of milk every day or two. and 10 bucks of meat would be lucky to last 2 days. Do you only eat 1-2 meat meals a week? what else to you have for main meals? as you haven't listed any ingredients for main meal bar a packet of frozen vegs and some meat.
    I am lactose intolerant so it's only DH and DD who drink milk, sometimes we need to buy more but at $1/L it doesn't really add much to the end cost for us. $10 of meat does 3 meals for us. Once a month (in one of the bigger shops) we buy fresh fish for about 6 meals, we get most of our beef for free from my family (who butcher their own cows) but we generally only have beef once a week. We try to limit our pasta, rice, bread, pastry and potato intake so frozen veggies is usually the best option for us.

We have recently acquired chooks so we have an endless supply of eggs and we are in the process of planting fruit trees and making a veggie patch so that hopefully in the future we'll have lots of fresh fruit and veggies to pick from which will help to keep our costs low as our family expands.

Our meal plan usually looks like this:
    Monday - meat & veggies
    Tuesday - mince burritos
    Wednesday - meat & veggies
    Thursday - meat & veggies
    Friday - fish & chips
    Saturday - scrambled eggs on toast
    Sunday - leftovers from the Sunday family lunch my parents hold every week

It isn't overly creative and most weeks we won't change the plan at all but as we both work 50+ hours the meals are quick and easy and allow us to spend more time with DD instead of in the kitchen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What is the 1kg of chips? Does that mean frozen fries or crisps?

And we would starve on that diet!!! Seriously!! How do you do it? What do you do with the meat and veg?

Here is an example of our lunchboxes: an apple, salad sandwich, oat bar, bliss balls, strawberries or grapes, handful of nuts and a yoghurt (can differ but similar amount of food). I'm generally still hungry by 5 o'clock.