Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subscribing.
    I need help!!!

In fact, I was on here yesterday searching for this exact thing, only the threads I found were a year old.
    I never got round to starting one, so thanks OP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    I also make my dogs meals at home because one of my boxers has an extremely bad allergy to beef. So if I make his food at home I know what's going into it. But with two boxers it gets expensive! I feed them free range chicken, veges and pasta all cooked together in a stockpot. That's why my groceries are so expensive every week.
    I have two boxers too! Yes it does get expensive, one of my boxers gets particularly bad skin so she does really well on a home made meat diet.

Rodeo bull they are massive dogs (30kg and 36kg), and no matter how much they eat they have been a bit skinny, so that's why I give them 1kg per day. They basically get beef/kangaroo or pork mince, ground veggies, fish oil, vitamin e and a egg in each meal. I occasionally add tuna, liver, kidneys or heart. Every second day they get a raw chicken frame. The bulk of the meal is the mince, but I might cut it back to 500g a day as they are at a good weight now, that might save me some money. I might add some pasta or rice as well to bulk it up a bit, but ill have to see how my girl goes because of her skin

Thanks
    Reviews

My boy boxer is 42kg, he's huge. My girl is only tiny she's 25kg. But we're on about the same combined weight of boxer! I sometimes give them tuna too. Sometimes I make like a tuna omelette kinda thing for them too. Makes for expensive grocery trips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    Did you read what I give to my dog???? I would never give pre packaged dog food it's so bad for them.

We buy 1 kg of gravy beef ($7) 1kg bag frozen veg (homebrand so $3) Some rice that lasts a few months ($4 a bag from aldi) Pack of pasta ($.89) then We just boil it all up until pasta & rice is cooked. Then seperate into containers big enough for a meal. Then she gets that with 3 weetbix (the brand from aldi can't remember how much)

We make enough for 14 nights for her so about $12 a fortnight plus the weetbix. I reckon if you did something like that you'd save heaps $100 a fortnight for dog food is crazy. what sort of dogs do you have??? oh and when I get meat at the butcher I ask if they will throw in some bones and they usually do free of charge but the most i've ever paid is $2 for a 2kg bag of brisket bones.

ETA; just read your username lol so i'm going to assume you have boxers lol. I have no idea how much more they would eat then my border collie. So maybe if you made up that food it would cost you $12 a week?? but it would still be a whole lot less then what you are paying
    Thats great value. Do you cook the gravy beef with the pasta and rice or just mix it in ?
    I want to do this for my dogs but am a vego and have no idea how to cook dead animals and stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Thats great value. Do you cook the gravy beef with the pasta and rice or just mix it in ?
    I want to do this for my dogs but am a vego and have no idea how to cook dead animals and stuff.
    Sometimes I cook it in sometimes I don't it just depends if i'm on auto pilot or not lol. Dogs really need fresh meat in their diet though so don't always cook it. When I first started making it I always cooked some meat with the veg and pasta only so that it would flavour the rest of it otherwise she'd pick through and only eat the meat. Now it doesn't matter how I do it she just eats it all lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    Sometimes I cook it in sometimes I don't it just depends if i'm on auto pilot or not lol. Dogs really need fresh meat in their diet though so don't always cook it. When I first started making it I always cooked some meat with the veg and pasta only so that it would flavour the rest of it otherwise she'd pick through and only eat the meat. Now it doesn't matter how I do it she just eats it all lol
    Thanks for that

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm vego too. I hate buying meat but with pets I have too. I buy free range or RSPCA approved farming chicken.
    I just cook the meat together with the veges and pasta in a big pot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Thanks for that
    That's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Take out the roast, salmon and steaks that's how you'd get the cost down significantly in one hit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    But replace it with what?

The roasts usually do 2 or 3 meals so works out quite cheap. Salmon is only in small palm size portions and steak ill get whats on special - again in small portions so wouldnt really reduce our bill much at all

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On the fortnight that I have to buy box of nappies and wipes - $350 easy.
    That's 2 adults, 2 kids and the baby.

Our second fortnight is always a bit less, usually its about 260.

We don't always go to our special bulk meat place but that easily brings the cost down at least $100. But some fortnights we just don't have the time to drive out there.