+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I find the best way to cut down on my grocery spend is to meal plan - I feel that it seems to take the pressure off as well when I know what we are going to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    I also shop the specials - that may include Coles, Woolies, IGA and if something that we eat every week is on a good special I buy a few and keep in the cupboard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Last fortnight I spent $500 for 2 adults and a toddler. Some of that was a batch cook for DS who is on a special diet, but we ate at the in-laws twice.

I have read and utilised almost every money-saving grocery tip I can think of, I don't know why or how we spend so much. We eat fresh, healthy food with a LOT of fruit and veg and I honestly think it is more expensive than buying pre-packaged crap. I meal plan, cook from scratch, have meat-free meals every week and one or two nights of eggs on toast a fortnight etc. I make my own yoghurt and muesli, muffins, etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (06-11-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

It's why I have a Thermomix Vic Park saves me time, money and effort!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Also with our dogs I spend an extra $100 per fortnight on top of that, we have two huge dogs and feed them meat and veggies and raw bones. They get terrible skin problems if they eat biscuits, and they are full of preservatives and grains and stuff. Wish I could find a cheaper way to feed them though!
    Did you read what I give to my dog???? I would never give pre packaged dog food it's so bad for them.

We buy 1 kg of gravy beef ($7) 1kg bag frozen veg (homebrand so $3) Some rice that lasts a few months ($4 a bag from aldi) Pack of pasta ($.89) then We just boil it all up until pasta & rice is cooked. Then seperate into containers big enough for a meal. Then she gets that with 3 weetbix (the brand from aldi can't remember how much)

We make enough for 14 nights for her so about $12 a fortnight plus the weetbix. I reckon if you did something like that you'd save heaps $100 a fortnight for dog food is crazy. what sort of dogs do you have??? oh and when I get meat at the butcher I ask if they will throw in some bones and they usually do free of charge but the most i've ever paid is $2 for a 2kg bag of brisket bones.

ETA; just read your username lol so i'm going to assume you have boxers lol. I have no idea how much more they would eat then my border collie. So maybe if you made up that food it would cost you $12 a week?? but it would still be a whole lot less then what you are paying
    Last edited by Rodeobull; 06-11-2012 at 10:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

Quick meal I do is I buy the minute sizzle steak $6, and in woolies the prepacked stir fry bag in the bagged salad section $5, i put on some (brown) rice, I slice the steaks long, put them in a bag with some flour and salt to coat them, sizzle them up, toss on some beef and black bean sauce (probably use 1/4 of a bottle each time)

So it's probably $13 factoring in the pantry items, serves 4. But it takes minutes. The most time consuming factor is putting the rice on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Phony  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    Did you read what I give to my dog???? I would never give pre packaged dog food it's so bad for them.

We buy 1 kg of gravy beef ($7) 1kg bag frozen veg (homebrand so $3) Some rice that lasts a few months ($4 a bag from aldi) Pack of pasta ($.89) then We just boil it all up until pasta & rice is cooked. Then seperate into containers big enough for a meal. Then she gets that with 3 weetbix (the brand from aldi can't remember how much)

We make enough for 14 nights for her so about $12 a fortnight plus the weetbix. I reckon if you did something like that you'd save heaps $100 a fortnight for dog food is crazy. what sort of dogs do you have??? oh and when I get meat at the butcher I ask if they will throw in some bones and they usually do free of charge but the most i've ever paid is $2 for a 2kg bag of brisket bones.

ETA; just read your username lol so i'm going to assume you have boxers lol. I have no idea how much more they would eat then my border collie. So maybe if you made up that food it would cost you $12 a week?? but it would still be a whole lot less then what you are paying

Omg I don't know why I didn't think of frozen veggies, I've been giving them fresh veggies lol they are very spoilt. The main cost in that is the meat, they eat 1kg of meat per day each, and I buy most of it from the butchers for $1 per kilo of pet mince, and some from woollies so they get good quality meat but that's $7 per kilo. What is gravy beef? And I didn't think to add rice or pasta but that would bulk it up heaps...hmm maybe I need to review my dogs grocery list as well! But you are right about the packaged dog food, it is very bad for them, they do so well on all meat diet. When I recently had my baby I was in hospital for nearly a week, so DH bought a bag of Purina kibble for his parents to come down and feed them as he was at the hospital every day, well the poor things were scratching so bad it made them cry and bleed, farting all the time and having diarreah, they were losing lots of fur and less shiny, and generally not as happy, sometimes they just wouldn't even eat it. They are back to normal now I'm home and we are feeding them meat again, but I am a firm believer In a natural diet for them. I'm a bit of a dog nut though lol thanks for the ideas though I will do a bit of working out and see if I can get that price down a bit

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

Rodeobull how much water do you add and do you drain it? I have two big dogs who cost me a fortune to feed and I to hate commercial dog food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by StretchmarkBarbie View Post
    Rodeobull how much water do you add and do you drain it? I have two big dogs who cost me a fortune to feed and I to hate commercial dog food
    Um i don't do an exact amount i just put enough in to cover everything and then when it's all cooked I either mix it with cornflour or I just leave it, the first nights food is a bit watery but the weetbix soak it up and then once i freeze the rest for the rest of the fortnight it just seems to thicken by itself. i like to leave it in because it has all the taste and nutrients from everything being cooked in it.

Thanks
    Reviews

I also make my dogs meals at home because one of my boxers has an extremely bad allergy to beef. So if I make his food at home I know what's going into it. But with two boxers it gets expensive! I feed them free range chicken, veges and pasta all cooked together in a stockpot. That's why my groceries are so expensive every week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Omg I don't know why I didn't think of frozen veggies, I've been giving them fresh veggies lol they are very spoilt. The main cost in that is the meat, they eat 1kg of meat per day each, and I buy most of it from the butchers for $1 per kilo of pet mince, and some from woollies so they get good quality meat but that's $7 per kilo. What is gravy beef? And I didn't think to add rice or pasta but that would bulk it up heaps...hmm maybe I need to review my dogs grocery list as well! But you are right about the packaged dog food, it is very bad for them, they do so well on all meat diet. When I recently had my baby I was in hospital for nearly a week, so DH bought a bag of Purina kibble for his parents to come down and feed them as he was at the hospital every day, well the poor things were scratching so bad it made them cry and bleed, farting all the time and having diarreah, they were losing lots of fur and less shiny, and generally not as happy, sometimes they just wouldn't even eat it. They are back to normal now I'm home and we are feeding them meat again, but I am a firm believer In a natural diet for them. I'm a bit of a dog nut though lol thanks for the ideas though I will do a bit of working out and see if I can get that price down a bit

Lol and i'm the opposite i've never thought about giving my dogs fresh veggies. She is a bit picky so i find that if i cook some of the meat in with the pasta and vegies it makes it all flavoured so she doesn't pick around that stuff like usual. Sometimes i leave a bit of fresh meat on top but sometimes i forget and it all gets cooked.

Gravy beef is just a cheap cut of meat you can use to do slow cooker meals it's generally really cheap because it's a bit chewy but because dogs don't mind that i get it so its a lot cheaper then if i got her eye fillet haha.

Wow 1 kg of meat a day is heaps lol my dog only weighs about 16kg so i'm guessing boxers are WAY bigger lol. If you did a meal with the pasta and rice and vegies do you reckon as long as it was 1kg all up each then that would be enough to fill them??

and with the weetbix it was what our vet reccommended because they are filling but not full of all the nasties that dog food is because it's made for human consumption. I used to buy smackos and treats for my girl but now if the kids really want to give her something they give her a weetbix.

We also just scrape all the kids leftovers from dinner and if we've had a tough bit of steak she gets those extras and since I have 1 very fussy toddler at the moment she's getting a fair bit of her scraps lol.