+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Lasagna is easy to freeze - just make a giant one on the weekend and cut into portions and pop into freezer
    Stir frys are fresh and can be cooked in 10 minutes ( without packet marinades !)
    Grill fish/meat and salad 10 minutes
    Fish or beef tacos 15 minutes
    prawn/chicken/lamb wraps 15 minutes
    There are plenty of quick fresh healthy meals as long as you are organized and have all your ingredients on hand!
    I feel a spin off!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Can I hijack and ask for the ladies who spend $200 or less per week in groceries, what type of meals and snacks do you eat? I have no idea how I can get my grocery bill that low. (I suppose I buy a lot of Packaged stuff).
    steak with homemade mushroom sauce and vegetables (zucchini, beans, carrots, corn) (20 mins)
    spaghetti bolognese (made with fresh tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms and mince) (Takes 20 mins if we need to eat quickly, longer if we let it simmer for ages)
    chicken and vege stew (chicken, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, capsicum in a creamy sauce) (usually will do this on a w/e as I like it to cook for a long time)
    vege stirfry with rice (takes as long as the rice takes to cook)
    roast chicken with homemade sweet potato chips and veges etc (takes 10 mins for me to cut up chips and veges and stick in oven or steamer)

Also I get home at 6:30 and we are usually eating by 7 so it doesn't take long. Leftovers become the next day's lunch or get frozen for when one of us is home alone and needs dinner.

I buy my meat from a wholesaler that does amazing cuts for amazing prices - the other day I bought half a chicken, 600gms of chicken thighs, 2 lamb shanks and 700g of lean mince for $23.00.

Fruit and veg from a Farmer's market.

My 'cheat' meals are things like pre-skewered kebabs which we have with pita bread and salad or half a chicken that's already been marinated that I can just throw in the oven and forget about.

Ways I cut costs:
    - I clean with vinegar and bicarb
    - Shopping at the above places instead of supermarkets (I buy shampoo/cond from discount chemists). I do go to Coles, but I only really buy things like grated cheese, tinned tomatoes etc.
    - Make my own rabbit food (the hard seed logs that cost $5.00 a log I will make 4 for much less)
    - Make one meal that uses up veges that are on the way out so we don't throw anything away
    - Grow my own herbs

I don't buy pre-made pasta sauces or anything like that (I do have a weakness for lollies and chocolate though). I also don't menu plan, but I do base meals around what I can make with what I have.

We eat out or get takeaway once a week though.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 06-11-2012 at 07:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I know... I just find with working I don't have time to spend 1 hour cooking something from scratch. If I can plop a frozen lasagne or pre-stuffed chook in the oven, then rustle up a bit of salad that's a 10 minute job.

Also a lot of the low fat stuff (eg extra light cheese or weight watchers ice cream) is expensive.

I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on, y'all are doing such a good job!
    Are you FT or PT?

If you can get a deep freezer and batch cook. Today I'm cooking mince dishes. I have 3kgs of mince of which I will make 2 lasagnas, 1 mince pie, 12 curry puffs, rissoles and taco mince. All in 90min from scratch. that's 6 meals.

Each week I cook a different meat type and freeze the food. All you do then is defrost and add a salad/Veges.

Tomorrow is my baking day - 90 min to make custard tarts, 2 batches of different biscuits, low fat raspberry cupcakes and banana bread.

3hrs of cooking a week I make roti bread and a salad daily but otherwise that's it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Phony  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Ok we spend $450 a fortnight on food, sometimes more as i previously stated.

We eat very little junk

I buy the cheap loo paper, use vinegar to clean most things

Breakfasts - cereal like all bran, weetbix. Toast, eggs or porridge

Lunches - crackers with tuna, salads or sandwiches and fruit

Snacks - fruit, homemade muffins, yogurt

Dinners - slow cooker meals, roasts, steak and veg, chicken and veg, lasagna, toasties, baked spuds, soup, pasta bakes occasionally, home made healthy burgers, home made veg pizzas, salmon wedges and salad etc

Nappies for DD is included.

Plus the standard staples (bread, milk, tea, lunch meat - maybe $5 worth if that, muesli bars.....lots of fruit n veg

Im extremely careful, shop for specials but wont sacrifice eating well to save a few bucks. But as you can see we eat fairly simple, healthy meals - nothing gourmet or special

I have no idea how we could possibly get that amount lower without eating poorly
    Take out the roast, salmon and steaks that's how you'd get the cost down significantly in one hit.

We do have a lot of meat free meals and the meals that have meat it's a small portion. Like 250 grams of chicken (one breast) between three serves with heaps of yummy salad (lettuce tomato cucumber shredded carrot beans feta and olives) and homemade dressing.

But if I had $450 a fortnight to spend on food I think I'd shop exactly the same as you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 06-11-2012 at 08:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

$200-$250 a week not including pet food ( which is about $70 a fortnight for science diet). I always feel like is too much but we buy lots of fruit and veg and good quality meat. Don't buy much pre packaged stuff, we make most things from scratch. DP is a bit of a foody so there is almost always smoked salmon, blue cheese and prawns in our fridge/freezer. We could def cut back a bit and prob will have to when we have a baby. DP thinks nothing of buying $50 wagu steak but we won't do that forever. I think you can save if you make snacks (and not buy chips/juice/soft drink which we dont) or cook big dinners and freeze them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I know... I just find with working I don't have time to spend 1 hour cooking something from scratch. If I can plop a frozen lasagne or pre-stuffed chook in the oven, then rustle up a bit of salad that's a 10 minute job.
    I get home from work and the school run around 5.45-6.00 pm depending on how many errunds I've had to run on the way home. I manage to cook every night. It's harder without DP's help (if he's away/working late) but still doable.

As soon as we get in, I will make a start on dinner. I don't cook involved meals on weeknights, I save those for Friday/Sat/Sun nights. The other night's example: baked salmon with tarragon vinigarette and steamed asparagus/cous cous. I popped the salmon on some baking paper, seasoned, bit of olive oil, covered with lemon and fresh thyme - wrapped it and put it in the oven for 15 minutes. While that was baking I made a quick sauce with white wine vinegar and a few other bits and pieces, then quickly steamed the asparagus and put the cous cous on. I'd estimate all up less than half an hour.

Then DP does the dishes

See if you can get a copy of Jamie's 15 minute meals. They're fantastic for your situation, his show is also on tv.

PS: If you would like I can PM you some of my weeknight dinners

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My budget is for $150 a week but we don't really use that much. We have 2 adults 2 kids and a dog to feed. I spend about $50 a week on fruit and veg because we like to have lots of fresh food I don't mind spending that we don't go without at all in that department.

At the moment we aren't buying meat because we got given a killer for free so just had to pay the butchers cost.

Every dinner has at least 5 different vegies in it. Morning tea is always some kind of fruit and homemade yoghurt.
    Afternoon tea is cucumber, capsicum, sugar snap peas with cheese.

If we needs snacks I make everything from scratch.

The dog food is only about $10 for 2 weeks because we make a big pot of cheap meat like gravy beef with mixed vegies rice and pasta and she gets a big scoop of that with 3 weetbix for her meal. Buying commercial dog food is not only really bad (because it's full of diseased meat) but also expensive.

We don't really budget for takeaway but try not to get it at all

I tend to only shop every few weeks apart from fruit and veg because I spend lots more if we go more often and the fruit and veg shop sells milk & eggs so i don't need to go to the supermarket. '

We make our own bread and if we run out of milk then i keep the 99c cartons of longlife in the cupboard for inbetween times.

Sorry that's so long winded

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the great replies! We are doing the groceries tomorrow, so I've taken some advice from you all, and written up a meal plan for every night for 14 days, so that we are never stuck without dinner, and I have started a woollies click and collect account. I might go to aldi just to get things like toilet rolls, paper towels and cheese and milk and stuff, but I like my brands too much to get everything from there so far there's no way ill ever get below $200 p/f but I don't think I will go over it this fortnight so yay although I had to cut out all my soft drink, chocolate, treats It's for the best though I can drink up to a 1.25L bottle of solo a day if I wanted to, im completely addicted! so ill just try and stick to water from not on and have a can as a treat every now and then.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also with our dogs I spend an extra $100 per fortnight on top of that, we have two huge dogs and feed them meat and veggies and raw bones. They get terrible skin problems if they eat biscuits, and they are full of preservatives and grains and stuff. Wish I could find a cheaper way to feed them though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we spend way too much probably $300 a week for 2 adults, 1 3yr old, 1 small dog and 2 cats.

I'm jealous of those who have close local fruit and veg markets that have good quality produce at lower prices. There is none in my area that are consistent with quality and low prices to enable me to get everything i need/want in one stop. I'd pay higher prices if the quality was good but it isn't so i just do one big shop at coles. The quality is great and i do try to get the specials first. Meat is coles, leonards or the butcher. Bulk wash powder, cat food toilet paper etc big w if i can be bothered.
    My DH manages a supermarket and always brings bits and bobs home that blows out the budget so i don't have a set food budget, more of a food, fuel and sundries amount which we go over!