+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

Bummer - I love our markets! And yeah we definitely had to shop around before finding a butcher we were happy with

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aroha0509 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (05-11-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Can I hijack and ask for the ladies who spend $200 or less per week in groceries, what type of meals and snacks do you eat? I have no idea how I can get my grocery bill that low. (I suppose I buy a lot of Packaged stuff).
    Breakfast is toast or weetbix, I buy milk in bulk by the box so I always have enough, we eat meat and vegies in some form almost every night, pasta with meat as well.

I have one child at school and the other is home with me full time so we have sandwiches for lunch or left overs from the night before. My kids FAVOURITE snack ATM is tinned corn - they have it for 'dessert' some nights (after eating corn with their dinner lol) and it costs me 89c per tin lol.

I shop at ALDI and stock up on non perishables whenever I can. The freezer is always full of meat as well. Kids have fresh fruit whenever they want it and we'll bake occasionally too :-)

ETA - I divide the meat into meal sizes when I get home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Aroha0509  (05-11-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Can I hijack and ask for the ladies who spend $200 or less per week in groceries, what type of meals and snacks do you eat? I have no idea how I can get my grocery bill that low. (I suppose I buy a lot of Packaged stuff).
    Stop buying packaged stuff? We eat meat and 4-5 veg with rice/pasta/potatoes each night (we eat no meat one night a week and DF and I don't always eat the carb) obviously we turn them into something ie we don't eat steak and veg each night but things like beef stog, stir fry yadda yadda. Breakfast is cereal or toast, snacks are something homemade, fruit, yoghurt, cheese crackers and dried fruit, veg and dip, muesli bars sometimes tiny teddies if they are on special but it's very treaty for us (I avoid giving the kids sugar), a mini tin of baked beans goes down well too. For lunch we eat leftover dinner (mainly when DF is away) or sandwiches, crackers or wraps with salad sometimes tuna or cold meat as well or spreads.

Making things from scratch really saves $ I have just been slack and buying yoghurt instead of making it, wraps as well...my thing at the moment is Lenard's! Trying something new each week oh and orange juice which is $5 for 2L!
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 05-11-2012 at 23:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

For us

Brekky- fruit, toast, sugar free pancakes (treat), English muffins, grilled tomato and onion on toast

Snacks- fruit, home made muesli bars, home made piklets, home made dip and wafers crackers, home made muffins rice crackers, dried fruit, air popped popcorn.
    (I never add sugar to anything either)

Lunches- couscous salad, pasta, steamed rice and veg, Sammie's, soup, toasties and sometimes left overs.

Dinner- bean burritos and salad or Mexican rice, veggie burgers, falafel kababs, roast veggies and salad, stir fry veg, curry and rice, casserole, veggie potato pies, veggie pizza, spring rolls and salad, pasta and garlic bread.
    DD also eats salmon and chicken which I usually incorporate to whatever we are having that night.

^^ That's just what we have has the last almost 2 weeks, I do cook heaps of different things obviously.

I make Everything from scratch except for crackers, pasta, bread and sometimes I will buy DD snacks like fruit buns, soy crisps, NoNo bars but that's about it I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by onlyjuststarting View Post
    We meal plan usually, and DH takes lunch most days (leftovers or a batch of something ill make at the beginning of the week). Meals are usually pretty simple but tasty and healthy - steak and salad, stir fries, roast and vegies etc. We snack on fruit, nuts, and vegies etc. Only packaged foods I buy is muesli, yoghurt, vita wheats, canned tomatoes for spag bolg, and ice blocks as a treat in the evening.
    The butcher and fruit shop I go to are really good quality and fresh, and reasonably priced, although it took me a little while to find them. I also do Coles online to stop impulse buys (and for the convenience!!).

In fact, the online coles shopping would be the thing that makes the biggest difference IMO...I can stick to my list, saves so much time!( takes me about 5-10 mins to place an order), and I get it delivered to my door. Amazing.
    I use the online shopping, have a list and still go $300+ per week!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Everything is vegan and home made including bread (except lebanese bread)

Breakfast: Porridge, toast with usual condiments or tahini/avocado/tomato, muesli, brown rice cereal, fruit salad, smoothies, vegies (mushroom/eggplant/zucchini/onion) on toast or toasted in a wrap.

Lunch/dinner: we eat leftovers for lunch most days so fried rice, stir fry with rice noodles/brown rice, curry/stew (legumes) with rice/quinoa/buckwheat/other various grains, vegie and tofu bake, pasta, soup, roast vegies, lebanese bread pizza, nachos with lebanese bread chips, lots of salads, tofu burgers/wraps, sushi, rice paper rolls, lasagne.

Snacks: fruit, vegies with hommus/lentil dip, muffins/slices, nuts, smoothies, chocolate, bit of toast etc.

I'd say it's about $40 a week on fruit & veg. Everything else (legumes, grains, flours, oats etc) we buy in bulk from a co-op. I'd say we spend about $200 every couple of months? Obviously this will go up once DD starts eating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Stop buying packaged stuff? We eat meat and 4-5 veg with rice/pasta/potatoes each night (we eat no meat one night a week and DF and I don't always eat the carb) obviously we turn them into something ie we don't eat steak and veg each night but things like beef stog, stir fry yadda yadda. Breakfast is cereal or toast, snacks are something homemade, fruit, yoghurt, cheese crackers and dried fruit, veg and dip, muesli bars sometimes tiny teddies if they are on special but it's very treaty for us (I avoid giving the kids sugar), a mini tin of baked beans goes down well too. For lunch we eat leftover dinner (mainly when DF is away) or sandwiches, crackers or wraps with salad sometimes tuna or cold meat as well or spreads.

Making things from scratch really saves $ I have just been slack and buying yoghurt instead of making it, wraps as well...my thing at the moment is Lenard's! Trying something new each week oh and orange juice which is $5 for 2L!
    I know... I just find with working I don't have time to spend 1 hour cooking something from scratch. If I can plop a frozen lasagne or pre-stuffed chook in the oven, then rustle up a bit of salad that's a 10 minute job.

Also a lot of the low fat stuff (eg extra light cheese or weight watchers ice cream) is expensive.

I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on, y'all are doing such a good job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I spend about $75 a week for me and DD. I don't cook big dinners every night though - maybe once a week I make lasagne or a roast or something which lasts a few days, the rest of the time it's scrambled eggs and baked beans, homemade pizza, toasted sandwiches etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use the online shopping, have a list and still go $300+ per week!
    What I do with the online shopping, go through your list and remove any food that has little or no nutritional value things like treats, chips, custard, desserts and packaged stuff.

I tell myself we don't really need to eat 'chips,choc et' and i remove it from the list.

You need to plan dinners that cost less rice, pasta and noodle and vegie based meals are cheap, make bulk dinner and use it for lunches the next day, also use lentils, chickpeas and beans in meals they all cost next to nothing.
    Avoid jars of sauces like stirfry sauce and the like and make them yourself.

Some cheap dinners I make are...
    -quick chick pea and spinach curry using 2 x cans chickpeas, 2x cans of diced tomato, onion,handful of spinach, curry powder, cumin, garlic and serve with rice and papdums.
    It makes enough to cover 2 nights of dinner.

- Taco wraps with flat bread, on the table i put a salad platter with lettuce, grated carrot and cheese, cucumber, red onion. bowl of vegie mince, bowl of beans flavored with taco flavour and some salsa.
    The kids build them themselves.

- Zucchini slice and salad

- Make lentil bolognaise (with red lentils and vegies) for pasta instead of mince

- Fried Rice with chopped omelette

- Pizza's using flat pita breads or make own pizza base ( roast up some pumpkin and eggplant in thin slices and add to pizza with some feta)

- Make soup instead of buying it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

Phony  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

I know... I just find with working I don't have time to spend 1 hour cooking something from scratch. If I can plop a frozen lasagne or pre-stuffed chook in the oven, then rustle up a bit of salad that's a 10 minute job.

Also a lot of the low fat stuff (eg extra light cheese or weight watchers ice cream) is expensive.

I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on, y'all are doing such a good job!
    I make things like the kantong / chook tonight style things with about 500grams of meat and veggies, it always makes enough for 3-4 serves and 1 for the freezer, if i do this for a little bit i have bulk 'instant' meals in the freezer,

Lazagne i dont make as i don't know how you would go about freezing it

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (06-11-2012)