+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much do you spend on groceries?

My budget is $200 per fortnight, however lately I find it almost impossible to stick to this. If I do only spend that, we usually eat everything within 5 days or so, then either have to spend more money on groceries, or spend the rest of the fortnight eating awful tinned meals and having no snacky food (like chocolate or soft drink). If I spend $300 that's usually enough, but ultimately I'd spend $400 to be truly satisfied each fortnight.

It's just me and DH eating atm, but I'm worried about how much it will cost once DS starts eating (he's only 4 weeks) and when we have more children in the future. God imagine having 3 kids and having to buy them snacks and food as well, that must cost a fortune!

Questions - how much do you spend on groceries a week/fortnight/month?
    Do you have any tips on how to make grocery money go farther?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

$330 per week 2 adults, 2 pets and a toddler.

Obviously I have no tips for how to save money ...

We buy a lot of healthy/low fat options, packaged treats etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

We spend about $170-$220 for a family of 4. I look at the ads and plan meals around what is on sale and what I already have in the cabinet. We have a meatless meal once or twice a week and snacks are limited to one sweet and one salty. We skip soft drinks. I try very hard, but its difficult to save any $ on food, especially with two kids. I spend a fortune on fruit and cereal.

Sent from my Desire HD using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

If you want to spend less... Cut it the soft drink and chocolates you mention!

We spend $150-200 a fortnight for dh, myself and a toddler that eats more than me! I can spend less if I HAVE to aswell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

I aim to spend no more than $100 a week. Doesn't always go to plan though.
    We are vegetarians so i guess we save a heap of money not buying meat. I think where i come unstuck us we all consume different things like one of us drinks soy milk, one drinks rice milk and one drinks cows milk. So thats 3 different types of milk i have to buy each week.
    Same goes for most things.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I spent $220 this fortnight and that should last us except another $6 for more milk and bread.

I go to a local wholesaler for fruit and vef and spent $38 and that was on HEAPS and I find most of it will last the fortnight out (we tend to eat lots of carrots and potatoes though towards the end lol)

I then go to Aldi for all the staples during the week. I spent $150 and again that got me a whole trolley worht of snacks, drinks and meat (I find Aldis meat not a huge range but what they have is great quality and price.)

I finally had to duck into coles for a couple of things which were formula, pine nuts, almonds and vermacilli noodles which was $30

Ooops sorry forgot to add nappies (not sure if you count that) which a pack lasts at least a fortnight so add an extra $33 so all up $250 including nappies and formula. DS is about to turn 1 so will be weaning the formula soon!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I spend $200 a week. That's for 2 adults, and 4 children, more when I need nappies for 6 week old DD.
    DH is a butcher though and brings home all of our meat so that's not included.
    Plenty of snacks and lunchbox foods for the kids and heaps of fruit and vegies.
    On a bad week, I'll spend $250 but its nearly always closer to $200. I do my shopping online now so it's a lot easier to control what you spend. I buy things on special and home brand items. We're not fussy We do save a bit with free meat though so that's handy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spend about $200 a week. That's for me, DH and DD. I do on-line shopping with woolworths and find it fantastic. I buy specials first, then I get things from my shopping list, then I browse the ailses. I find it helps cut down on impulse shopping as you know exactly how much you are spending. Also without fail I get some kind of win, especially with meats. They ALWAYS give me more than I asked for, but only charge what I agreed on. The delivery cost can be expensive but you can still shop on-line and then pick it up from the store and they don't charge you for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

About $300 a fortnight. Same $200 a fortnight is doable but hard (for 2 adults, preschooler and baby on solids & part time disposables but I'm trying to use cloth more) $400 would be very comfortable.

We just bought a car (after 18 months without one!) So we are very excited about being able to drive to a shopping centre nearby that has a really good cheapish green grocery, aldi and woolies under one roof... no butcher but we are going to cut back on meat any way. So Im hoping to not spend less than $300 but get more value.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I used to only HAVE $160 a fortnight for 3 of us (before katelyn) including jasper full time in disposables. That was not fun.

But I made a lot from scratch, bought mostly raw ingredients so fruit veg small amounts of meat and then rice and legumes the only packaged food was pasta. So it was probably not all that bad for us food-wise but so stressful.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub