+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Etiquette - facebook photos

This is a topic I am passionate about and get very upset over. My question for those that are slaves to Facebook.. if someone took a photo of you as a baby (I know it was not invented then) naked in the bath or better yet you had your best friend over and your toddler and their toddler played in the mud and needed a bath... What if your best friend took a photo of both kids naked in the bath and thought it was cute and thought it would be a great FB moment and uploaded it. Right. So now let's say, her privacy settings were set to only show her friends. Right. Now imagine that you liked it and shared it with someone else. Right. now let's say that someone on their list liked the photo that you were tagged in.

Now imagine that person is a paedophile. Now imagine that paedophile getting off over the photo of your child or you that someone did not see a problem with uploading to FB. Now imagine that the paedophile had a thing for babies. now imagine babies first bath in hospital that was interrupted by a friend who decided to visit at that one particular 10 minute time frame to see the new baby. Now. Imagine you thought it would be a good idea to get a photo to mark the occasion and ask them to get one for you. Now. Imagine they thought it was cute and another FB moment. Now imagine they thought they would upload it and announce "Congratulations on the new parents. here look at baby's first bath." Now. go to the top of the paragraph and read again.

Now. Would you be comfortable with someone sharing photos without permission?

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im not saying its 'fair' that someone show yours, or your kids, or whievers photos on their facebook. Im saying you have no control over it.

The most I can do is not be a member of facebook, and not hand out electronic copies of naked baby photos. Beyond that it's out of my (and your) control.

I know you said your question was for 'facebook slaves' but it seems a lot of the people who aren't fussed by it are also the ones who choose not to be on facebook, thereby exercising about the only true level of privacy and control they have.
    Last edited by WineTime; 06-11-2012 at 14:22.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Etiquette - facebook photos

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    This is a topic I am passionate about and get very upset over. My question for those that are slaves to Facebook.. if someone took a photo of you as a baby (I know it was not invented then) naked in the bath or better yet you had your best friend over and your toddler and their toddler played in the mud and needed a bath... What if your best friend took a photo of both kids naked in the bath and thought it was cute and thought it would be a great FB moment and uploaded it. Right. So now let's say, her privacy settings were set to only show her friends. Right. Now imagine that you liked it and shared it with someone else. Right. now let's say that someone on their list liked the photo that you were tagged in.

Now imagine that person is a paedophile. Now imagine that paedophile getting off over the photo of your child or you that someone did not see a problem with uploading to FB. Now imagine that the paedophile had a thing for babies. now imagine babies first bath in hospital that was interrupted by a friend who decided to visit at that one particular 10 minute time frame to see the new baby. Now. Imagine you thought it would be a good idea to get a photo to mark the occasion and ask them to get one for you. Now. Imagine they thought it was cute and another FB moment. Now imagine they thought they would upload it and announce "Congratulations on the new parents. here look at baby's first bath." Now. go to the top of the paragraph and read again.

Now. Would you be comfortable with someone sharing photos without permission?

That's a lot of what ifs.
    How is a pic of a flower girl participating in a wedding the same as naked photos of children?? It's not obviously.

Tangent, I don't get why ppl take pics of children having a first bath or whatever. It's weird and when ppl grow up nobody appreciates those photos!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    How is a pic of a flower girl participating in a wedding the same as naked photos of children?? It's not obviously.
    Yes, or a pic of a newborn all swaddled up where pretty much all you see is a bit of their face.
    I don't let people tag me in pictures, and I don't have idiots on my FB.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Tangent, I don't get why ppl take pics of children having a first bath or whatever. It's weird and when ppl grow up nobody appreciates those photos!
    I have photos of jaspers first bath and though he's hardly grown up I appreciate them. Even if nobody else ever will. They aren't the best photos and it's caught between sobs so he doesn't look very happy but it was in hospital and the mw was "borrowing" jasper to demonstrate how to bath a newborn to a bunch of heavily pregnant mum and dad's and it was the first time he'd really been out of my arms since they gave him back to me after he was born (and a few times so I could pee) and what I remember so clearly when I look at those photos is when she gave him back to me (I was sitting in a chair and couldn't really see him being bathed as I was 3 days post emergency csection) and the moment he was in my arms he stopped screaming instantly and gazed at me and the MW said to the group that the reason babies only see 30 cms at birth is because all they need to see is there mothers face.

Now. If I didn't have that photo I might think of that moment from time to time but when jasper pulls out his photo album every now and then we flick through it together and although the photo is a newborn crying in a bath every time I see it I see my baby starring at me with total love and trust. And remember how powerful it was realising that he knew me at 3 days old.

So yeah.... baby photos might not get it for yourself but that's what I think of photos. Photos are moments in time. And some of them are very powerful.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    First photos of a baby yep. "Announcement" type stuff should always be done by the people with the annoucing to do.
    Wedding pics - I would post.
    I also dont pics with other peoples kids in until I check if its ok with the parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It all comes down to etiquette. Clearly alot of people have lost theirs. That's a sad, sad thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Etiquette - facebook photos

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I have photos of jaspers first bath and though he's hardly grown up I appreciate them. Even if nobody else ever will. They aren't the best photos and it's caught between sobs so he doesn't look very happy but it was in hospital and the mw was "borrowing" jasper to demonstrate how to bath a newborn to a bunch of heavily pregnant mum and dad's and it was the first time he'd really been out of my arms since they gave him back to me after he was born (and a few times so I could pee) and what I remember so clearly when I look at those photos is when she gave him back to me (I was sitting in a chair and couldn't really see him being bathed as I was 3 days post emergency csection) and the moment he was in my arms he stopped screaming instantly and gazed at me and the MW said to the group that the reason babies only see 30 cms at birth is because all they need to see is there mothers face.

Now. If I didn't have that photo I might think of that moment from time to time but when jasper pulls out his photo album every now and then we flick through it together and although the photo is a newborn crying in a bath every time I see it I see my baby starring at me with total love and trust. And remember how powerful it was realising that he knew me at 3 days old.

So yeah.... baby photos might not get it for yourself but that's what I think of photos. Photos are moments in time. And some of them are very powerful.

That's a nice story and a good reason to have the photo.
    I was more getting at the ppl who take them and have a bit of a giggle then years later put them up on a board at your 21st! Its not fair to the kid who had no say in having their pic taken naked! I always cringe when I see those pics at 21st!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Im not saying its 'fair' that someone show yours, or your kids, or whievers photos on their facebook. Im saying you have no control over it.

The most I can do is not be a member of facebook, and not hand out electronic copies of naked baby photos. Beyond that it's out of my (and your) control.

I know you said your question was for 'facebook slaves' but it seems a lot of the people who aren't fussed by it are also the ones who choose not to be on facebook, thereby exercising about the only true level of privacy and control they have.
    I was totally agreeing with you that no one has any control over what happens with a photo once it appears online. I was simply stating scenarios and the reasoning behind why some people don't like others posting photos and how some one can innocently think that posting a photo of a newborn and announcing its birth in said fashion could be upsetting to the family involved. also they might have had some very expensive announcement cards made up or wanted to have made up etc.. There are many reasons but a lot of people just think of the moment and not whether any one minds if they put someone elses news and photos out there. IyKWIM?

Not being part of it does not mean someone won't post things of you that you don't want posted. I would rather know.

really though its not a lot of what ifs.

Flower girls.. personally I don't have a problem with these kinds of photos on FB. If they are in a wedding party then it is expected that a lot of people are going to see the photos. I don't understand why OP family objected in such a way unless the photos were of her getting ready and half naked or in a sexualised pose. If professional photos were taken then chances are the photographer may keep the ownership of copyright anyway and use those photos to show other potential clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

I'm with you on this. Looking back on photos like that I think "oh wow, yeah" and dd1 loves seeing photos of her as a baby and me telling get the story behind them.

If you post announcement's of other peoples baby's birth or wedding.. Would you text bomb or post out photos and birth announcements to the same people that are on you're friends list now if Facebook was not around? I guess that is more my point.

Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 06-11-2012 at 15:28.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What some people miss is that you cant always even control who takes pics of your child which end up online.
    I had a teen family member take a pic of my dd where it was posted by her friend in the midst of trouty pouts and boob pics.

Id had no idea it had been taken and didn't like my daughters pic being in that group of pics, because the audience for the other pics in that album were different than the audience I post my childrens pics for.

If I boycotted Facebook I wouldn't have known that pic had been taken, posted or shared, that doesn't then make it okay