+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Etiquette - facebook photos

The problem with people announcing it before you do is that sometimes people haven't had a chance to tell all the people that they wanted to in person or by text etc.

So, they tell most people but auntie sue didn't answer her phone and then cousin lily posts about it in Facebook and auntie sue cracks it cause she wasn't told in person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    The problem with people announcing it before you do is that sometimes people haven't had a chance to tell all the people that they wanted to in person or by text etc.

So, they tell most people but auntie sue didn't answer her phone and then cousin lily posts about it in Facebook and auntie sue cracks it cause she wasn't told in person.
    Then auntie sue is a fool and thats not your problem. You have literally no control over what other people say or type. Is that fair? Maybe not, but thats the way it is. Why sweat it?

Sorry, I just dont get it.

ETA and even if auntie sue finds out a day later from you over the phone than she did from someone else announcing it on facebook, if she's not gracious enough to still congratulate you and be excited and happy over the phone then she could be considered even more rude than the rogue facebook announcer.
    Last edited by WineTime; 06-11-2012 at 07:18.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a huge problem with this.

I had a failed induction with the girls and that ended in a GA. My family met them before I did and there were photos on FB before I was even awake. I still have a lot of trouble getting over this.

Weddings I don't see the big deal, you're invited to share the day with the couple. Unless they've specifically told you not to I think it's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think with facebook people need to start assuming that people will spread your news, upload photos they really shouldnt and that ettiquette as we once knew it has changed immensely with social media. Assume people will instead of the opposite.
    New world order!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    I have a huge problem with this.

I had a failed induction with the girls and that ended in a GA. My family met them before I did and there were photos on FB before I was even awake. I still have a lot of trouble getting over this.

Weddings I don't see the big deal, you're invited to share the day with the couple. Unless they've specifically told you not to I think it's ok.
    Wow that is so terrible. I would take a long time to get over that as well. I ha a failed induction and had to have an emergency caesarian.

I met bubs for 2 mins after he was born but my arms were shaking so much from the spinal block. Didn't even get a pic. I then spent 30 mins in recovery so excited to meet my boy. When they wheeled me back to my room they said he was being wheeled in right now but family had arrived and stopped ds and dh outside my door demanding a cuddle. So my mum and dh's extended family are passing him around like a doll while I'm sitting in my room waiting. Then after 10 mins a nurse comes in to clean me up an check vitals and I asked if bubs was alright - what was taking so long and I was told. Noone even came on to see how I was. It was another 15 mins of clean up and then Dh's family very generously offered me my first cuddle.

Worst like 2 mins later (as I had a late night operatin) took him off me and said he had to sleep in the special care nursery.

I must admit I am still very bitter about all this as well it is taking me a while to get over. How did you? Just feels I went through so much to get bubs out and my time was taken from me.

We are TTC number two and I have told dh in no uncertain terms that he and I get time together with any other bubs before family is to come up!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm amazed that you feel your rights as a bride outweigh a little girls and her families right to privacy. How disapoointing it would have been for that girl to find out she was excluded from your wedding because her family felt, as a child, not on facebook she has a right to privacy. There would have been lots of photos without her you could have put up.
    If they weren't comfortable with photos of their daughter being used, then they should've turned down having her in the bridal party. Everyone knows that the bridal party is heavily photographed.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (06-11-2012),FearlessLeader  (06-11-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Etiquette - facebook photos

I'm with WineTime. The style of your wedding dress or the birth of your child are barely state secrets. I don't understand the fuss.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Benji  (06-11-2012),WineTime  (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I go to an event I take photos, rest assured they will be uploaded to Facebook, children included. However, my Facebook photos can be seen by my friends only, not the general public (everyone) or even friends of friends. I'm sorry I see no problem with that. As far as my wedding photos and my babies photos, they are all on Facebook, I have a lot of international friends who want to see them. As for someone else's wedding I would download onto Facebook too. From my experience I saw friends photos of my wedding before any other photos, it can sometimes take weeks for professional photos to come through, I had no problem with that, in fact I was excited to see them, and excited that someone cared enough to take photos. I guess it all depends on you and your friends. I don't however agree to photos being put on Facebook for everyone to see, I think that is very rude. As for making announcements on behalf of someone else, if they didn't want you to share their news for whatever reason, they should have either said so or kept it a secret from everyone, not just a select few.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Then auntie sue is a fool and thats not your problem. You have literally no control over what other people say or type. Is that fair? Maybe not, but thats the way it is. Why sweat it?

Sorry, I just dont get it.

ETA and even if auntie sue finds out a day later from you over the phone than she did from someone else announcing it on facebook, if she's not gracious enough to still congratulate you and be excited and happy over the phone then she could be considered even more rude than the rogue facebook announcer.
    Oh I totally agree, I just made that scenario up for my point. Just saying that its another reason why people want to make the baby announcement themselves. Because "aunt sue"s do crack it, regardless of how silly they are being and people have to deal with unreasonable family members all the time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (06-11-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think a big issue is that sometimes the parent of the child isn't on fb, and may not want any of their childrens photos anywhere on the net - yes, there are people that never want their children's photos published "out there", where there is no control.

Sure you think you're only posting where friends can see, but as I said earlier, I posted a pic of a friend's wedding, when one of my friends shared it to her wall and it's then visible to her friends, where (if one of her friends chose to share it) it could be then posted to another group where I don't know if there's someone who has an agenda who shouldn't know the news.

Once you post something to facebook, (even if it's friends only - as mine is), you don't have full control over it.

To those who say "So what?" it's not a state secret or whatever, consider the poster who (a few pages back) had someone post it where it then ended up with her husband's ex seeing pics of her kids etc and became problematic for her.

There are a lot of posters here have said they don't like the idea, to say, well, it's the net, it's the new way of doing it, or whatever, negates that some people do get upset with it. Should their feelings be ignored because others say "but it's okay in my book?"