+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default private hospital closed maternity unit so how does private work in public hospital?

Hi, Our private hospital has recently closed its maternity unit so im wandering what happens with going into a public hospital as a private patient.
    Our health fund said we would still probably have to pay an excess and im wandering if that is the case and also what else we would have to pay for, the receptionist from the obstetrician said the out of pocket expenses for the doctor to deliver would be $2000.
    We are not looking to get pregnant again till next year but im just wandering how it will work. I really want our obstetrician to deliver and the only way to guarantee that is to be a private patient because at our hospital if public the midwifes deliver and the doctor is only called in if there is a problem.
    For those who have had to use a public hospital as a private hospital how did it work for you?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default private hospital closed maternity unit so how does private work in public hospital?

Hi there!

I had my second bub 9 months ago and was a private patient in a public hospital. It was fantastic for me! My OB performed my c section (elective due to breech) and we had our own private room. Hubby was able to stay with me on the first night which was a lifesaver! I stayed for 5 days (I had complications from blood loss and my asthma was a problem too).

As for cost it was all covered by my health fund and I had to sign a consent form saying that any out of pocket expenses will be covered by the hospital. So in the end it cost me nothing above our regular PHI payments. I don't have the top level of cover either so I was very pleased that it didn't cost me anything!

I'm not sure about how the delivery would go I guess it's up to individual OB's as to what they do. I do know the particular OB I had would monitor a VB then deliver the baby.

Not sure if that's the info you were after but I hope it helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

millsmum  (04-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how helpful I will be to you but thought I'd pitch in Where I am, you give birth in the public hospital as a private patient, the same way you would in a private hospital i.e your OB present. The public patients would be attended by midwives and only see a doctor if there was a problem. Then when you have the baby you get transferred to a private hospital for your stay. You get your own room, your partner can stay with you, you can pretty much stay as long as you want.

As for costs, I'm not sure sorry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to justthe3ofus For This Useful Post:

millsmum  (04-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by justthe3ofus View Post
    I don't know how helpful I will be to you but thought I'd pitch in Where I am, you give birth in the public hospital as a private patient, the same way you would in a private hospital i.e your OB present. The public patients would be attended by midwives and only see a doctor if there was a problem. Then when you have the baby you get transferred to a private hospital for your stay. You get your own room, your partner can stay with you, you can pretty much stay as long as you want.

As for costs, I'm not sure sorry
    Thank you girls for your responses, our private hospital closed the entire maternity ward and we are not even able to even go there for our after care as the pediatrician's only works from the public hospital now :-(
    Our ob is unfortunately not a no gap doctor so even with our health insurance our out of pocket expense for her to deliver is $2000, im also wandering if i would have to pay for the anesthesiologist if i need one?

Thanks
    Reviews

I would think that that anaesthetist fees would be covered, they were for me. It might be worthwhile having a chat with your fund just to be clear about what they will and won't cover as well as an idea of the cots you may be up for. Your OB might even know if anaesthetist fees are covered, just ask! All the best