+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Global Development Delay (GDD) - too social for ASD, where do we go from here?

We're in Brisbane and pediatrician has given us a diagnosis of GDD because my nearly 3 year old is too social for an ASD. She smiles and makes eye contact and has started some imaginary play, though at this point I think it is more mimicking than understanding the concept of play itself. She is delayed over all areas, has about 6 or so words she uses though she tries to interact with unintelligible conversation, she flaps her hands, spins and loves to swing. Has a handful of foods that she will eat, walks on tip toes, has no interest in playing with other kids, like to sit and look at books but doesn't read them and also enjoys stacking them over & over. There are probably more behaviours but I won't go on.

So my question is do I just go with the pediatrician? I suspect that she is a passive type ASD, which is the least common (or hardest to pick up???) - but in the meantime while she is GDD we have been 18 months on waiting lists and she has just started an early intervention course that runs 10 weeks. Should I be doing more, getting another opinion? Can anyone recommend someone we can go to, I just feel like I'm not doing enough and while I'm sitting around precious time is passing by?

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Global Development Delay (GDD) - too social for ASD, where do we go from here?

Is definitely get a second opinion ASAP.

My son does many many of the things you describe and he has ASD. He too though can make fantastic eye contact at times , very bubbly and social and affectionate , thus why I was told told for the first year of my concern that he definitely didn't have autism . I was even told by another doctor " ill go jump off a bridge if your son has autism , he's eye contact is great !!!! " .

They were all wrong as there is no doubt my son has ASD.

Good luck , admittedly I don't know much about GDD so perhaps they are correct but I would definitely double check . I'm in Victoria though so can't refer you to anyone sorry !

All the best xxoo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies, we have an appointment coming up soon with the paed and I will try and work with her and why she thinks DD is socially aware and it's not ASD, she is a developmental paed so she should know what she is doing???
    There is no medical reason for the delays, but I do have an older son with Aspergers, another son with issues and I'm probably on the scale myself. There is also a chromosome abnormality, but it's not linked to any known problem, so that doesn't help either
    If the next appointment doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, I will look into getting a second opinion, in the meantime we have DD on a GF/CF free diet and that seems to be helping a bit, thank you

Thanks
    Reviews

I would also get a second opinion if you are not 100% with the diagnosis. Can you ask for a referral to a kids hospital?

We had our diagnosis' at the Children's Hospital Westmead in the child development unit. First was Autism & a severe development delay. That never sat 100% with me because she was too social and different from other kids with Autism that we hung out with. Second diagnosis of Rett Syndrome came back 8 months later via DNA testing. I wasn't surprised at all and was able to move forward.

Having said that, I know of families that still have not found any answer or concrete diagnosis & have opted to just treat the issues through therapy & not go through testing again. it's heartbreaking to not know, I'm grateful to have a diagnosis & feel 100% about it

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Global Development Delay (GDD) - too social for ASD, where do we go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by zooey View Post
    I would also get a second opinion if you are not 100% with the diagnosis. Can you ask for a referral to a kids hospital?

We had our diagnosis' at the Children's Hospital Westmead in the child development unit. First was Autism & a severe development delay. That never sat 100% with me because she was too social and different from other kids with Autism that we hung out with. Second diagnosis of Rett Syndrome came back 8 months later via DNA testing. I wasn't surprised at all and was able to move forward.

Having said that, I know of families that still have not found any answer or concrete diagnosis & have opted to just treat the issues through therapy & not go through testing again. it's heartbreaking to not know, I'm grateful to have a diagnosis & feel 100% about it

xx
    There wouldn't be much confusing of Rett would there? The hand wringing, loss of abilities, lack of speech etc etc. How is your daughter doing now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Global Development Delay (GDD) - too social for ASD, where do we go from here?

I forgot to say if speech is delayed or get a referal from gp your local public children's therapy unit for speech therapy, from there you can get referal to ot of needed etc etc. I think you'll find once you start the early intervention course, more avenues will open up. Ask, ask, ask!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    There wouldn't be much confusing of Rett would there? The hand wringing, loss of abilities, lack of speech etc etc. How is your daughter doing now?
    a lot of autistic kids have similar traits, maybe not all of them but I see it in a lot of our friends. we did have to ask them to test for it specifically because a dr friend mentioned it

she's doing good - she still goes through regression periods but is generally happier than last year which is a relief for everyone. keeping eye on seizures & making sure she doesn't lose the skills she has now