+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Whooping cough

Not sure if this is the right place to post this?

My just over 4 monther has a mild cough developed tonight, it sounds nasty. No other symptoms, no fever just cold like symptoms such as runny nose etc.. He's had his birth and 2 month vaccs

If he has whooping cough will the vaccs he has had help him in any way?? I'm concerned, taking him to docs first thing to have him tested

loop is offline Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whooping cough

Dont know about the vac helping, sorry. but you could Google whooping cough video to hear what it actually sounds like. Might not be so could relax at least over night...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Whooping cough

Yes, he'd have a slightly less severe form however it's still very dangerous at that age. They dont have the full protection of the vax til they've had the 4 and 6 month shots too- the shots at birth aren't for whooping cough. If you really suspect WC it's important to get your little one checked out ASAP. Go on YouTube or google and see if you an find a sound recording of what WC sounds like to compare. If its similar ring your dr ASAP for advice. Hopefully it's just a cold, let us know OP.
    Last edited by Atropos; 04-11-2012 at 05:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The vax covers a few strains of wc .. But a couple are not covered (doesn't mean not to vax though!!!). My friends girl at 4 months had it coughed so much went blue and gasping for air .. In hospital for two weeks fine now ( except its hard to know what damage has happened to her brain due to no oxygen getting in) .. Take baby to hospital ASAP .. Let them test ... We are in a whooping cough hot spot .. So many kids and babies with it this year!! 2 of my girls friends have it now (3.5 yrs) .. Luckily not as risky at this age ... But horrible to go through .. Coughing so much that they vomit .. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Whooping cough

No, vax is only 70% affective. My DD got whooping cough even when vaxxed. I'd get checked out ASAP.

I was shocked when I found out our whole family had whooping cough!! So many people I know have also caught it.

The health department called me when I tested positive and said its the worst they have seen for years.

I hope it's not whooping coughing!!!!! Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whooping cough

When my toddler was 2 weeks old he contracted whooping cough and I suspected something wasn't right so took him to the ed. he was ebf the doctor just turned around to me and said that he had an urti. And made me feel like I was an overprotective mother who had no clue (baby no 3 as if I am a first timer grrr) a few days went by and he got worse that he turned violet during coughing fits and stopped breathing. Took him to a different hospital. He presented well as he rarely coughed during the day. The nurse was stubborn even though I asked for testing. When the doctor came in he admitted straight away and tested him. As soon as the sun started to set his coughing fits came back with a vengeance. That's when they realised I was not joking. They put us in isolation and came in fully gowned up with masks on and gloves etc. they had to give him oxygen a few times thru the night. After a few days we were let out when I got the call from population health in Qld. He tested positive. He was only 3 1/2 weeks old. We had to go into quarantine for 3 days after we had to all go back to the hospital. And all put onto meds. Plus I had to sit there for an hour with population health about who I've been in contact with and their phone numbers. It was horrible time. It turned out my daughters gr 6 teacher had it who gave it to the whole class who brought it home to us.
    Insist at the hospital to have your bub tested. It doesn't hurt the baby. It's just a swab of the nose and the back of the throat. The runny nose if it looks clear and very sticky kind of like clear runny toffee that's one of the symptoms. Don't hesitate. Take bub ASAP. Good luck and let me know how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Whooping cough

I did take bub in last night.. First I had an after hours doc out and he told me bub has conjuntivitus and the cough was only a blocked nose.. wth? I didnt believe that so I rang 13 HEALTH and the registered nurse heard me out about how he's been and she heard him cough while on ph; told me to her it sounded like a croup cough (like a seal barking) she was nice said to be safe head up to hospital and have him assessed.. So I went to Mater Childrens and was seen to there by a doctor (he decided to perk right up and smile at her the whole time and barely coughed at all) she said it sounds like croup and when I asked about the whooping cough check she said she really didnt believe it was whooping cough at all.. she checked his airways and theyre all completely clear.. so it's been dismissed as a virus.

I wasn't 100% happy with that even though I was feeling better I took him again to the docs this morning got them to squeeze me in before they closed.. This time because I really wanted to be sure I told the doc its been around us and that I wanted the test.. but again he also said he really didnt believe my son needs to be checked and that it looks nothing like whooping cough..

so thats 4 opinions.

Im more convinced now but Ive been the 'over paranoid mum' and why shouldnt I be? Whooping cough is horrid! I wouldnt want to miss catching it early over being embarrased or paranoid!

I wish theyd done the test.. but Ive run out of places to ask and he is seeming better.. but Im keeping a vigilant eye on him and waiting very closly to see if he improves.. am i being crazy?

sigh.. I really do hope it is nothing, thank you all for your great advice, much appreciated x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Whooping cough

Not crazy, just a good mum. If you think he's worse, insist he get tested. Hopefully he will be all better soon