+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exercise in final weeks - with pelvic/back pain

Just wanting to hear from those of you who have had second or subsequent pregnancies and suffered from pelvic pain and back the majority of their pregnancy. Did you do any exercise in your third trimester?

I am due to have number 2 in 6 weeks and have suffered with bad pelvic and back pain from about 14 weeks. I feel like I've lived in the physio. It's probably been worse because I have an 18 month old and lifting him in/out his highchair, car seat, cot, pram etc takes it's toll on your body whilst pregnant. The physio has helped heaps but ever since approx June I have avoided walking and doing anything physical as it would make my issues come back/worsen.

My physio kept saying to me that I needed to build up tone before the birth and told me to do some work in the pool. Initially I didn't listen as I was getting a cold every month during winter and by the time I'd get over 1 I was sick again. About 6 weeks ago I went for the first time and just kicked my legs in the water and did some walking in shallow end for max 30 mins. I didn't go again for a fortnight but I was in all sorts of pain and ended up back at the physio. She suggested getting a noodle and doing some floating and kicking and making sure I didn't rotate my pelvis to put it out again. I went a couple more times and ended up barely being able to walk and back at the physio. I adjusted the intensity of my routine (which wasn't that bad to start off with) and went back to the pool. Then I started getting very bad pain in one of my knees and SI joints. I spoke to my GP and he said to still keep up with the exercise.

I'm sure they know what is best for me but I am struggling to understand why this doing me any good? I haven't gone in 2 weeks and my pelvis/back/knee issues haven't been this good in ages. Then yesterday I went for a short 200metre walk with my toddler to the park and can start feeling the tenderness in my pelvis again. All this tells me is to rest up until bubs gets here.

Did anyone else have pelvis issues and still exercise? Or did they chose not to and therefore weren't as resilient to issues arising after the birth?
    Last edited by tiny2011; 03-11-2012 at 23:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

With my second pregnancy I had some back and pelvis pain, started 2nd trimester, I bought a pregnancy exercise dvd, which I did every morning, but I found it really got me going in the mornings, of course by the end of the day I was feeling crappy again!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had severe pelvic pain through the middle part of pregnancy. Be careful as many GPs don't understand that in some cases you can make things much worse by doing the wrong kind of exercise, or exercise at all!

I had sooooo many people also tell me to do preggo yoga but then came across a Chiro who did lots of work with this type of problem and was told in my case to put my feet up and "hope like hell you don't do more damage"! For my problem, many women had ended up on crutches or in wheelchairs due to over stretching their symphysis pubis (front of pelvic joint), which you definitely DON'T want!

Don't mean to scare you but my point is that you need to find someone who actually knows what they're talking about, it seems to be an often misunderstood problem.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Exercise in final weeks - with pelvic/back pain

I've been keeping up my swimming. Very very slowly for short periods and carefully and barely using my legs (i refuse to swim with a noodle between my legs and look like a big dork lol). My physio said to just make sure to be extra careful coming out of the water as this is where you can do damage. Most pools have lift things for people with disabilities, I haven't had to use it yet but you could ask to use that to help you in and out.
    The only other thing I'm doing is some work on the fitball, and some yoga. Mainly pelvic tilts and some back stretching positions. Also some really light weights. I'm finding keeping the rest of me active is helping the pelvic pain, because keeping some core strength makes it a bit easier to hold yourself properly and avoid extra damage.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear Tiny, so sorry you are in pain... I had severe SPD (back, pelvis, legs etc) with my most recent bub. Started at 12 weeks and unfortunately I couldn't walk at all from 6 months- as in I couldn't get in the wheelchair to get to the toilet- ended up in hospital to await the arrival of bub, was on pain medication and so on. I agree with other posters who have said not to do too much, as it can aggravate the problem at this late stage. Given the area is so unstable, I would definitely take it easy and avoid any sort of walking, sitting or standing (as much as you can anyway lol). There is a chance you could cause more damage. Honestly, it is not worth it- it could get worse if you aggravate it. If you can manage to get into a pool, I think it would be ok to float. No movement of legs out sideways as it could rip your ligaments out even further. Basically, I think at this stage, the less you do the better, and it might be too late to start working on your core as it could cause you more pain. That was my experience anyway. I abandoned the physio as it seemed to aggravate it more, and getting to the physio was agony in itself. It is a terrible condition, I feel for you... I would definitely go into 'protective mode' now and be super, super careful of your body until bub is born. After bub is born, give your body time to recover, and then consider some physio/ core exercises then so you can make a longterm recovery. It disappears for some people right away after birth.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your posts. I think I may keep resting and avoid the exercise thing altogether until after I've recovered from the birth. With only 6 weeks to go I can't see how much tone I'd be able to build up anyway. Going to the beach today, might do some floating.