+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: starting solids

what about if the child already has intollerances??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the responses on this thread yet... but I'm sure people have noticed the baby food in woolies and what-not. There are a few that start from 4 months. I agree that solids shouldn't start to be a "main" thing until 6+ months. Though personally I think that allowing a 4 month old a spoon or two of solids as "practice" isn't a bad thing. As long as the main nutrience is coming from the breast or formula, I don't feel there's any harm on trialling a few solids (within limits of course... gotta do the research!)

My little girl *now 5 months old* has had a few fruits and veges, she loves the experience and the taste, and hasn't reacted to it at all. My son whos now 2 started having solids here and there when he was only 3.5 months old and is one of the healthiest kids I've ever seen. He is spot on for weight, has no allergies, and has a healthy appetite, and he loves apples and bananas more than chips and chocolate.

If you think your 4+ month old baby might be ready for solids, go to the shops and see what they have for that age group for inspiration... they've put a lot of research into their product or else it wouldn't be on the shelf in the first place. Though it would be wise to speak to the GP first for professional advice.

Oh dear... I hope somewhere in my rambling there was something helpful!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Arusaamatus For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

what about if the child already has intollerances??

Thanks
    Reviews
    If a child already has in tolerances then start slow, one food at a time for a few days to gauge if there is any reaction. Something generally low in allergies is the best place to start, many people don't like rice cereal but it can be a good start as few babies react to it. Avocado, pumpkin or a basic fruit like pear are also good starting foods.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default starting solids

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    the first few tastes her poo came through grass green so I gave her a few more weeks, taste - green poo - waited - taste - normal poo. Happy to start then.
    What does green poo mean? I breastfeed and I've noticed if DS gets too much of the sugary foremilk his poos are green. What does it mean when you're introducing solids?

Thanks
    Reviews

green poo is when it is not digested properly. its not necessarily a bad thing but my bf son gets them if i have dairy because he is intollerant. bf babies can have poos of various colours which is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default starting solids

Quote Originally Posted by Emma1234 View Post
    green poo is when it is not digested properly. its not necessarily a bad thing but my bf son gets them if i have dairy because he is intollerant. bf babies can have poos of various colours which is ok.

I'll be starting DS on solids soon... If he has green poos, how will I know whether it's from bf or the food?