+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default starting solids

I have noticed many ladies in my mothers group are starting solids at 4 months. I feel this is too early for DS. What happened to the 6 month rule?

What age did you start your child on solids and why?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is five months old and we haven't introduced solids yet.

I am waiting until she is six months old.

My MCHN told me to wait until six months because prior to that they need all their nutrition from milk and if you give solids they won't take as much milk.

I don't know if the above is entirely true but it makes sense to me.

Also, my DD isn't showing much interest in food when I eat, so I'm waiting for her to give me signals.

Don't feel pressured to do it at four months, or at six months. Give solids when it feels right for you and bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default starting solids

My DD is 5 months old and I haven't started yet either. I'm waiting until 6 months. The CYH nurse said they recommend to wait until 6 months now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default starting solids

WHO and most health organizations still recommend breast feeding until
    6 months , then solids but there have been a few studies done saying you can start between 4-6 months, this does not mean all babies should, I think some people are just a little bit eager to start!
    6 months is still best for their digestion , food is fun until 1 and breastmilk/ formula is still the most important until 12 months
    Also after 6 months all food ( except honey) can be given, it's not recommended to wait for nuts, shellfish, meats etc and thankfully farex and processed rice cereals are being discouraged!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 03-11-2012 at 21:31.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (03-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: starting solids

I've heard pretty consistently with katelyn that the recommendation is not before 4 months, but not after 6 months to start.

So somewhere in there - but going from babies "readiness" rather than age.

Katelyn we've started her very tentatively. I stopped and started between 4-6 months because the first few tastes her poo came through grass green so I gave her a few more weeks, taste - green poo - waited - taste - normal poo. Happy to start then.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 03-11-2012 at 21:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was planning on 6m but dd's pead reccomended starting her at 4 and seeing how she went. She loved it so we kept going.

I *think* there have been some studies saying 4 months, but personally I think it's somehing that depends on each child. No one shoe fits all approach

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started both my girls at 4 months only for the reason they both showed interst otherwise I would of waited. I didn't do it because "everyone else was doing it" I did it because they wanted it. After speaking to the CHN with DD1 she agreed she was more than ready and DD2 was exactly the same.

My opinion is that it's not a compitition each child is different and if DD2 decides she no longer wants solids I won't force her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah's Mum - why not honey?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default starting solids

Honey can carry botulism and babies gut is not developed enough under 12 months to handle it ( it's rare but not worth the risk!)

http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites...the_111212.pdf

The Australian government has just spent the last year reviewing the guidelines for infant nutrition and the draft apparently will come into effect next year but their findings clearly state breast ( or formula) exclusively until 6 months and then solids

I read they are now blaming a lot of intollerences and health problems on babies being fed too early, their digestive systems just can't handle it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mommi Wren  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default starting solids

We waited til 6 months cause we wanted to do baby led weaning.