+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 8 month old refuses to eat solids-help!

I was just going to post up a new topic on my DDs feeding but saw yours instead!

My girl is 7mths & she isn't really into solids either. We have been offering since she was about 4 1/2 mths. She takes a few small spoonfuls, but then that's it - shuts her mouth, turns head away etc. Likes finger food, but mostly just plays with it!

She is bottle fed EBM & some FF. But she is still taking 5-6 bottles a day, including a night feed (yep still waking at night grrr...)

We have been having all sorts of trouble with her settling at night so were contemplating weaning off the night feed. I have read that at this age, if their still asking for a night feed then their not getting enough nutrition from solid foods.

But I have no idea how to get her to eat more food. I'm just hoping it will come with time

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 8 month old refuses to eat solids-help!

My 8 month old is the same with solids, although he's over 50th percentile for weight (also a breastfed bub). We started him on blw at 5.5 months, and I'd say he swallows maybe a quarter of a teaspoon each feeding? I wasn't worried until he started daycare who seemed surprised at the amount, and then the new CHN who said we MUST get him on solids and printed off reams of info on purees etc. Add that to stories of how much other people's babies eat and I'm starting to worry.

So no advice, but we're in a similar position to you. It is really encouraging to hear the stories of other babies who were uninterested at first but have taken to it later

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 month old refuses to eat solids-help!

This sounds exactly like my son. When having puréed food he would gag until he spewed up everything including the previous breast feeds. He lived on breastfeeds luncheon until he was about 12 months then he gradually started exploring different foods. My son also didn't grow much during this time. Its one of those things that with some kids it just takes a while so try not to worry too much about it:-)

My

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't worry too much (I know it's hard!). They go through spurts of growth and then seem to get a bit skinny for a while.

I'd just keep offering various things and eventually they'll try more. Dd always turned her nose up at packet food and also anything bland. She prefers 'real ' food.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DD1 didn't eat solids until she was over 9 months. It was so frustrating as all the other babies in my mother's group seemed to eat like horses and she was still exclusively breastfed.

I found for her things improved once she could feed herself. I followed the ideas of baby led weaning and once i got the hang of finger foods we never looked back. With DD2 and DS1 I didn't do purees only finger food. It might be once she's older and gets into finger food more she'll embrace eating.

it's so hard not to stress so I hope things improve soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

My son is 9mo and only sucks on finger foods. Pretty much only BF.