+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think it depends on the baby. My son screamed every 20 minutes the first night we brought him home. Next day my husband said to put him in bed with us and we all got sleep.

When I was pregnant with dd2, I had decided to just put her in our bed but she was happy in a bassinet in our room.

You might have a baby who is happy on their own.
    I'm hoping for a child that sleeps better than our first but I'm kind of planning for the worst! :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Boogaloo View Post
    I'm hoping for a child that sleeps better than our first but I'm kind of planning for the worst! :/
    You might be surprised. Fingers crossed.

My DS came after DD1 who was a dream baby. Could put herself to sleep at 8 weeks, slept through for 12-13 hours a night from 4 months. Totally contended in her own sleeping space. Then DS came along DD2 was an even easier newborn than DD1. She slept for 7-9 hours at less than a week old.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I did this with my two eldest, I just had bub on one side of me, and toddler on the other side, it worked out beautifully. I even tandem night nursed for 18 months, until I night weaned my biggest boy at 3.5 yrs, that was a bit rough!!
    With the crying baby thing, my second bub had bad colic, so screamed pretty much non-stop for 6 months, but my toddler just got used to the night-time noise quite quickly, and it really wasn't too much of an issue...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was lucky our second didn't want a bar of co-sleeping so all was well! He didn't want to be rocked or wrapped or anything special. Just put me in the bassinet and leave me alone!!!! The eldest continued to not want to sleep alone, required so much attention to get him to sleep!!! Amazing how they can be so different!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD moved to her big girl bed at 18 months (3 months before DS arrived), after bedsharing/cosleeping/side car cot since birth. The move was heaps easier than i thought it would be. She had just started sleeping through the night, and i was also scared that this would be interrupted, but it wasn't too rough.

Our doors were always open, and so she could come to us if she wanted to. DH had begun to do more of the night settling, and so he would walk her back to bed and some nights lie down with her til she was asleep again.

Having wakeful babies, i was reluctant to cosleep with both of them, particularly in the early months. This worked for us and gave me a few months only (mainly) having to parent DS overnight.

When DS was around 4 - 6 months, DD started coming in to us more, but i was ok to cosleep with both kids at this age. Now, DD sleeps mainly in her bed, but will sometimes come in for morning cuddles. She still proudly says "I sleep in my bed all night!".

The decision doesn't have to be all or nothing, and it might change over time depending on where your kids are at emotionally and developmentally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Boogaloo View Post
    Hi lollydolly
    I'm 3 weeks away from baby #2 and my nearly 3 yo DS is still part-time bed sharing with me. Just wondering how you went with your two little ones...? I'm thinking cosleeping (safely) with both will be the best way for all of us to get some sleep when baby arrives. Did your toddler ever wake up when the baby cried at night? That's my big concern, really.
    Thanks
    Sorry I just saw this now. I have ended up co sleeping most of the night with them both. Towards the end of my pregnancy I got too tired to keep getting up to ds so we moved into the spare room where we now have the cot. They sleep until their first wake ups in their bed and cot then end up in bed with me.

We have been extremely lucky with our baby and has never cried at night, unless he is sick. Which is the complete opposite to ds1 who screamed for the first few months for hours at night. So I think it will all depend on your bub. I am personally loving being able to cuddle both my boys at night they do wake each other up sometimes and that was a huge concern for me given how ds1 was as a newborn, but it hasn't been an issue for me yet. I definitely think we are all getting more sleep being in together. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (15-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by patsmum View Post
    I was lucky our second didn't want a bar of co-sleeping so all was well! He didn't want to be rocked or wrapped or anything special. Just put me in the bassinet and leave me alone!!!! The eldest continued to not want to sleep alone, required so much attention to get him to sleep!!! Amazing how they can be so different!
    I'm so amazed at the difference too! My ds1 has never gone to sleep without me without putting up a massive fight. So now at 2 he is still breastfed or cuddled to sleep. Ds2 is happy to go off to sleep in his cot by himself. I felt so lazy the first few times this happened! I kept thinking how can a baby go to sleep with no boob in its mouth!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks LollyDolly
    Glad to hear things have been going well.