+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Co sleeping toddler and newborn

Has anyone ever done this?? Or am I crazy to think it might work somehow??

My ds has been a terrible sleeper from day 1 so it was always easier to sleep with him. I was going to try and get him sleeping alone however just before I was going to start breaking the habit he started to sleep through the night (first time in 18 months) so now I am too scared to disrupt it in case he starts waking again. He also won't have a bar of his father at night, I think as he was always breastfed, so he goes psycho if he tries comforting him. Our new bub is due in 8 weeks time. Has anyone had any success with continuing co sleeping with their toddler after another baby or should I use this next 8 weeks to be really tough? He is so sensitive and previous attempts to get him self settling and sleeping on his own have not worked very well and I think have made it worse.

Thanks
    Reviews

This sounds exactly like ds1. I tried to get him to sleep in his own bed leading up to the birth of ds2 but it didn't happen for the same reasons as you. He has just turned 2 and still sleeps in my bed.
    I just have one side of the cot off and it's pushed right up against my bed and bub (8weeks) sleeps in there. He doesn't wake ds1 up because I am still close enough to get bub before he cries. I just give him a feed and pop him back in the cot. I don't have to get out of bed but bub still has his own sleeping space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy View Post
    This sounds exactly like ds1. I tried to get him to sleep in his own bed leading up to the birth of ds2 but it didn't happen for the same reasons as you. He has just turned 2 and still sleeps in my bed.
    I just have one side of the cot off and it's pushed right up against my bed and bub (8weeks) sleeps in there. He doesn't wake ds1 up because I am still close enough to get bub before he cries. I just give him a feed and pop him back in the cot. I don't have to get out of bed but bub still has his own sleeping space.
    Yep, I was going to suggest this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Co sleeping toddler and newborn

subbing for ideas! DS will be 15 months when bub is born and we will still be bedsharing, I'm thinking it'll have to be bub in a cosleeper in the corner, me, DS then DH...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy View Post
    Yep I was going to say this too.. Sidecar the cot & everyone gets some sleep..😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cosleep with my DS's (2 year old and 10 week old). I have a double mattress in their room and lie down in the middle of them both. If I need to swap sides for feeding through the night I just move he baby to whichever side and make sure I am curled around him (with my knees up and arm going around his head - like a fence) to prevent the toddler rolling on him.

I actually found it's worked quite well - like you, my older DS is a terrible sleeper and will wake up crying multiple times through the night if I'm not there.

Are you still breastfeeding your older DS? I found this to be the main drawback - my older boy who had been nightweaned for almost a year suddenly decided if the baby was having some, he would too! Plus, occasionally bub crying would wake him up (or vice versa), but it hasn't been a major problem surprisingly. I have had to get my husband to settle the younger one after a feed sometimes so I can calm down the older one (who won't go to his dad at night).

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Co sleeping toddler and newborn

Thanks for all your replies. It males me feel a little more confident to continue with the sleeping arrangements.

Yes he is still breastfed. We had it down to 1 feed a day but when my nephew was born and he saw him feeding he wanted it during the day again. I was thinking of trying to cut back again but of figure this will just happen again when the baby arrives do I'm not sure of its work all the hassle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi lollydolly
    I'm 3 weeks away from baby #2 and my nearly 3 yo DS is still part-time bed sharing with me. Just wondering how you went with your two little ones...? I'm thinking cosleeping (safely) with both will be the best way for all of us to get some sleep when baby arrives. Did your toddler ever wake up when the baby cried at night? That's my big concern, really.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it depends on the baby. My son screamed every 20 minutes the first night we brought him home. Next day my husband said to put him in bed with us and we all got sleep.

When I was pregnant with dd2, I had decided to just put her in our bed but she was happy in a bassinet in our room.

You might have a baby who is happy on their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS still cosleeps at 6yo, and was 4.5 when DD was born. My way around it was to get DD used to sleeping on her own, and it's kept everyone happy.

So now, ironically, my 20 month old is more independent and slept through sooner than my 6 year old (DS sleeps through now of course!).