+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,095
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default High blood pressure 13 weeks.

    Just wondering if any of you girls have had high bp start early? I've had unexplained hypertension for about a year or two now (the dr thinks it was brought on by a bad case of pneumonia and whooping cough 2.5 years ago). I've also had a stressful year of Ivf which doesn't help. Now that I'm 13 weeks pregnant its shot up. Seems to be all over the place, sometimes will be 130/90 (minimum) but shoots up to 160/130 so dr has put me on labetelol. She said that it's very unlikely that we will make if to full term.

    I've put on a bit of weight doing Ivf but I'm not obese. Don't smoke it drink have a pretty healthy vego diet so
    It's not lifestyle related. My mum had pre eclampsia with me.

    Any other girls with something similar?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Just wondering if any of you girls have had high bp start early? I've had unexplained hypertension for about a year or two now (the dr thinks it was brought on by a bad case of pneumonia and whooping cough 2.5 years ago). I've also had a stressful year of Ivf which doesn't help. Now that I'm 13 weeks pregnant its shot up. Seems to be all over the place, sometimes will be 130/90 (minimum) but shoots up to 160/130 so dr has put me on labetelol. She said that it's very unlikely that we will make if to full term.

    I've put on a bit of weight doing Ivf but I'm not obese. Don't smoke it drink have a pretty healthy vego diet so
    It's not lifestyle related. My mum had pre eclampsia with me.

    Any other girls with something similar?
    Yep me

    I was induced at 38 weeks, I never got pre-eclampsia but was in weekly for monitoring at 26 weeks and then in hospital for 5 days at 35 weeks.

    Are you on meds?

    Dr's don't like to let you go over 38 weeks generally with bp like this. Mine was diagnosed about 2 years earlier too with no reason.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,095
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default High blood pressure 13 weeks.

    Thanks heaps for that our dr said she will be happy if I make it to 28-30 weeks which is a bit scary. I'm on labetelol at the moment, I'm hoping I can maintain it all the way through and only go a few weeks early.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I stopped work at 26 weeks just to really take it easy and relax. I also have just started the DASH diet - I recommend you give it a go. I've had some success with it in the past - low sodium/high potassium foods. Light walking and walking in the swimming pool really helped too.

    I got shocking fluid retention - cankle city! Have you noticed that at all?

    I was on methyldopa and then nefedipine and then a mix of stuff.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,095
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default High blood pressure 13 weeks.

    Yeah I was planning on working till 34 weeks but will just have to see now.

    Oh thanks for that, will check it out!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Posts
    3,718
    Thanks
    1,422
    Thanked
    1,173
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default High blood pressure 13 weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Thanks heaps for that our dr said she will be happy if I make it to 28-30 weeks which is a bit scary. I'm on labetelol at the moment, I'm hoping I can maintain it all the way through and only go a few weeks early.
    My last 2 pregnancies I developed high BP. DD3 made it till 37+5 weeks and DD4 dates were a bit confusing so between 36-38weeks.
    My OB didn't expect me to make it past 32weeks with Dd4 as my BP was like yours up down and everywhere from 12 weeks.
    I had heaps of scans to make sure everything was still going ok.

    Best of luck with your pregnancy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,095
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default High blood pressure 13 weeks.

    Thanks a lot for the info girls I'm
    Not too worried yet at the last scan baby was very active and growing ahead so the baby is ok for now. I think I'll have to see the dr again soon as my BP tonight is 140/107 after I've taken the meds so I don't know how well they are working.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    17,761
    Thanks
    5,097
    Thanked
    8,700
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    This was me, although I have a kidney disease that predisposed me to high BP and PE. DD was induced at 39 weeks, DS1 at 38 weeks and DS2 emergency section at 31 weeks.

    How much labetalol are you on? With the first two, I was on minimal amounts but with bub I ended up on 400mg four times a day (yes, 16 tablets a day!) and was in hospital for a week prior to his arrival.

    If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them xx

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,095
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default High blood pressure 13 weeks.

    Thanks heaps miss kitty do you mind if I ask what disease of the kidney do you have? My dr wants me to go and see a kidney specialist to try figure out where the hyper tension comes from. My gp had a scan of my kidneys done a year ago to look for tumors on the stem and all was normal. Not poly cystic. We do have a family history of non-lifestyle related high bp.

    I'm on 100mg twice a day at the moment.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    17,761
    Thanks
    5,097
    Thanked
    8,700
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Thanks heaps miss kitty do you mind if I ask what disease of the kidney do you have? My dr wants me to go and see a kidney specialist to try figure out where the hyper tension comes from. My gp had a scan of my kidneys done a year ago to look for tumors on the stem and all was normal. Not poly cystic. We do have a family history of non-lifestyle related high bp.

    I'm on 100mg twice a day at the moment.
    I have polycystic, so does my mum (she had a transplant ten yrs ago).

    You've got room to move with your labetalol and you'll have really regular scans. With DS2 he had growth restriction, so that contributed to the whole shebang.


 

Similar Threads

  1. High blood pressure and induction
    By sydney1980 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-08-2012, 16:24
  2. High blood pressure @ 10 weeks
    By Mumma2011 in forum Pregnancy Health Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28-04-2012, 16:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Be In Blossom
Keen to up the intensity of your exercise after having your baby but unsure how? New physio-led Bootcamp Workshops aim to bridge the gap between low and high intensity training, teaching ways to reduce pelvic floor load in gym and bootcamp settings.
featured supporter
Pea Pods Reusable Nappies
Pea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable and simple to use, Pea Pods keep your baby dry & happy. Visit our website to find your nearest stockist or order online.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!