Default Porridge - what to buy & how!

What oats do I buy to make my own porridge for 1 year old
    snd how do I do it!?
    thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Just normal rolled oats. Double liquid to oats ratio. I find 1/3 cup of oats is heaps (so with 2/3 cups liquid). I prefer to use water but you can use milk or a bit of both. Chuck it all in a small pot, stir, then leave on a low-med heat stirring occasionally. Don't let it boil as such, just let it simmer. Should take about 5 mins to cook. You can add a bit more milk or water as it's cooking if you think it needs it.

Serve it with honey, sugar, cold milk, fresh berries.....whatever takes your fancy. I like porridge with only a drizzle of honey.

Don't go quick oats. That's not how you make porridge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've always used Uncle Tobys porrige oats. I don't measure it out any more - but roughly 1/3 cup oats and 2/3 cup milk together in a bowl and microwaved for 2 minutes, stir and microwave for another minute.

Instructions and measurements are on the side of the box. Uncle Toby's also do Quick Oats, I prefer the regular oats but the quick oats are okay, a bit too powdery and fine for my liking.

We flavour with banana or sultana's, berries or cinnamon & honey.

My girls love porridge. It's a good filling breaky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I make quinoa porridge , add 2 cups quinoa flakes to 4 cups boiling water, reduce heat and cook for 10 mins, grate 1 granny smith apple, pinch of cinnamon and big handful organic sultanas and splash of A2 or almond milk - it's loaded with protein and iron!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know if this is the proper way to make porridge but its easy and fast and my 15m ds loves it. I buy instant oats (coles organis brand) put about 2 full tablespoon, then add cold water (just approximate and add more if needed), zap in mocrowave for about 45seconds (keep eye on it cause it might overflow), then put frozen blueberries and this cools it down so its ready to eat, yum! Have also added other things such as puree apple etc.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Porridge - what to buy & how!

Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    I've always used Uncle Tobys porrige oats. I don't measure it out any more - but roughly 1/3 cup oats and 2/3 cup milk together in a bowl and microwaved for 2 minutes, stir and microwave for another minute.

Instructions and measurements are on the side of the box. Uncle Toby's also do Quick Oats, I prefer the regular oats but the quick oats are okay, a bit too powdery and fine for my liking.

We flavour with banana or sultana's, berries or cinnamon & honey.

My girls love porridge. It's a good filling breaky.
    This for the method but i use Quaker oats and flavour with banana and either honey or some brown sugar, nom nom nom! For me I make it with 1/3 milk 1/3 water, for DS just milk.

Make sure you use a reasonably large bowl or you will end up with a very messy microwave!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews

I buy plain rolled oats (not quick) wollies brand.

1 part oats to 3 parts water.

In the microwave for a few mins & stir

Repeat until water is absorbed/ur happy with consistency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Just normal rolled oats. Double liquid to oats ratio. I find 1/3 cup of oats is heaps (so with 2/3 cups liquid). I prefer to use water but you can use milk or a bit of both. Chuck it all in a small pot, stir, then leave on a low-med heat stirring occasionally. Don't let it boil as such, just let it simmer. Should take about 5 mins to cook. You can add a bit more milk or water as it's cooking if you think it needs it.

Serve it with honey, sugar, cold milk, fresh berries.....whatever takes your fancy. I like porridge with only a drizzle of honey.

Don't go quick oats. That's not how you make porridge.
    ^^THIS^^ I keep a 1/3 cup measure in the tupperware container with the oats. I buy the woolies/coles brand oats. Cheap as chips and easy to add fruit etc to. When breastfeeding i used to add brewers yeast and LSA.