+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Metformin ?

Anyone used Metformin to help when TTC?

My FS has just prescribed me it for 3 months before going on to try it in conjunction with clomid. I've read conflicting reports about how effective it is?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Metformin ?

It helped me to lose weight and I got pregnant in the three months that I was first on it. I do think that it helped me a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My FS had me on it. He said that some evidence showed that it increased your sensitivity to Clomid, but that results were very mixed. He was a bit ambivalent about its efficacy, but said that it wouldn't hurt to take it. I didn't suffer any real side effects from it, so was on it for a while.

For me I don't think it made a difference, as it took me over a year to get pregnant and by that time we'd gone to IVF rather than Clomid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's often used if you have PCOS and stuff like that. My FS said he would use it if Clomid didn't work on it's own, but blood tests showed Clomid worked and I ovulated first month on that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Metformin ?

No personal experience, but a friend of mine went on it after TTC for over a year. Bang, she got utd in the first couple of months. She's now onto baby 4 😀. No clomid or anything else needed. She calls it her wonder drug.

Good luck, I hope that you can get similar results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Metformin ?

I was put on in in conjunction with Letrozole (similar to Clomid). Did 4 cycles with no pregnancy. It did make me quite ill though and I lost 10kg quite rapidly....

I ended up going through IVF and I was on metformin (along with a lot of other meds) for our frozen transfer cycle which resulted in our DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been on metformin now for a week and i lost 3kg and then put 2 back on again this week!

I felt ill the first few days and then i felt ok for a day then really good yesterday but today felt really ill again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people are resistant to its effects. It doesn't work for everyone, esp if you don't have insulin resistance.

But there have been studies that have suggested that it reduces the risk of M/C. I was on it up until Wk12 as I had a previous M/C. It didn't help me at all with weight loss as I don't have insulin resistance. My F/S was also of the attitude, it couldn't hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just started metformin 2 nights ago and boy it's lethal.
    I have had bad diarrhoea and nausea and hate it.
    Any tips on how to get through it?.
    I have my sisters wedding next week and with work and all the wedding prep I can't afford to feel like I'm gonna throw up and running to the toilet all the time😔

Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay1989 View Post
    Just started metformin 2 nights ago and boy it's lethal.
    I have had bad diarrhoea and nausea and hate it.
    Any tips on how to get through it?.
    I have my sisters wedding next week and with work and all the wedding prep I can't afford to feel like I'm gonna throw up and running to the toilet all the time😔

Any help would be great!
    Are you slowly increasing the dose or did you just start on the highest dose? I found a slow increase worked for me.