+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did you start taking your newborn out?

Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    Do you mind me asking what culture or religion this tradition stems from? Just curious...
    It's a Malay/islander tradition. It's to do with the baby not being "formed" yet, because they're still in a way transitioning from the womb to the outside world. So by being at home with mum by their side, it develops a closer bond between mum and baby. Also to do with their immune system not being strong enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think when he was about 6 days old? We went for a walk to the shops...I only remember because an old couple stopped to have a peek, and asked how old he was...and they were cooing over him because he was so "new". Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: When did you start taking your newborn out?

4 days - and it was too soon.

But 7 days old was great introducing her to friends at a water park. Id had SUCH a stupidly long labour I was so eager to get back into "the real world" (and show her off!!!)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rinahbee View Post
    It's a Malay/islander tradition. It's to do with the baby not being "formed" yet, because they're still in a way transitioning from the womb to the outside world. So by being at home with mum by their side, it develops a closer bond between mum and baby. Also to do with their immune system not being strong enough.
    Interesting! I quite like the idea of a period of transition...
    Thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    With ds I went supermarket shopping when he was 7 days old. I was in hospital for 6 days after a csec.

With dd I went back to work at 3 days old but she was strapped to my front the whole time and I would feed her in the frontpack and took her discretely out to my car to change her as I didn't want anyone touching/breathing on her. When she was 2 weeks old I let my workmates see her. One of my workmates was so thoughtful- she bought in a surgical mask as she had a tickle in her throat and was worried about dd.

If I could I would have stayed at home for at least the first few weeks. It would have been a nice break and bonding time for me and baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The day I came home from hospital.

I'd had a caesarean 5 days earlier though mind you, so I mostly just sat on a bench and waited. lol. But I was eager to NOT be at hospital OR home, so took her out. It's not like random people came and breathed on or touched her, so I didn't see a problem.

I'm not a terribly paranoid person when it comes to illness though.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    Do you mind me asking what culture or religion this tradition stems from? Just curious...
    It's also a Sikh and Hindu tradition. The mother and baby do not leave home for 40 days following birth, and the mother & father do not do any cooking or cleaning in that time and have limited visitors (just a few family members to assist with housework). It's so that the family can bond together and focus solely on their new baby, and easer her/him slowly into the world

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: When did you start taking your newborn out?

DS was a few days old when we took him to visit DP's family because his mum hadn't come to the hospital to see him.

His first time out to a shop was around 4 weeks when I had to go Christmas shopping.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    It's also a Sikh and Hindu tradition. The mother and baby do not leave home for 40 days following birth, and the mother & father do not do any cooking or cleaning in that time and have limited visitors (just a few family members to assist with housework). It's so that the family can bond together and focus solely on their new baby, and easer her/him slowly into the world
    We are orthodox and this is also part of our culture. It's sort of faded out through our family though, it's more old school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Yep. I went out cos I'm a social person but I didn't do any housework for those early weeks. Thank you mum and MIL