+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to become a clean freak?!?

Ok so I'm sick of this house looking messy all the time and I always have to force myself to do stuff around the house as I jut can never be bothered! This might sound silly but how can I become a clean freak? I would LOVE to want to clean/tidy all day, I can just never be bothered!

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing as I too would like to become a clean freak! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews

Be with one lol.

Housework was NOT a priority before I met DF. But he's clean freakiness has rubbed off on me so we clean and tidy everyday.
    It's so much more manageable if you do things daily so it doesn't build up and everything is just a quick job then.

If they're old enough get the kids involved too. My 3.5 year olds "help" by passing linen for beds, wiping down tables/counters, using the brush and dust pan and passing the washing to be hung up. We make it fun.

Another thing that helps me is putting music on to motivate me or allocating a certain time to clean.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: How to become a clean freak?!?

There are a few different sites that can help you get more organised about cleaning. I've taken quite a few tips from FlyLady- the main ones being spending a few minutes a day clearing up 'hot spots' ie areas that accumulate junk.
    The one thing I can't emphasise enough is the old saying 'a place for everything and everything in its place'- once you get into the habit of putting things where they belong you all of a sudden have a lot more stress-free time. If your keys, bag, kid's shoes, etc, are in their places you don't need to spend 10 minutes in the morning running around looking for them, then you can spend that extra 10 minutes quickly doing the dishes or running over the carpet with a dustbuster.
    Multi tasking works well too. Instead of standing at the sink while I brush my teeth, I will do a quick clean of the shower and mirror, and then wipe the basin down once I'm done- bathroom half cleaned without even thinking about it!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha - I just finished posting a thread in 3rd trimester chat about my lack of nesting. I am finding it sooo difficult to get motivated to anything around the house at the moment - and I've got lots of house guests arriving tomorrow! Maybe I'll have a cleaning epiphany tomorrow morning before they arrive

Thanks
    Reviews

There is an app called "motivated moms" its american it has daily jobs aswell as jobs that get done weekly. Each day has a checklist. There are things like read bible,but I turn that feature off. Its really good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Watch the show 'Hoarders' on a Thurs night. I always get an attack of 'clean freak' after watching that.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (02-11-2012),Boobycino  (02-11-2012),Bulbasaur  (02-11-2012),chameleon  (02-11-2012),GirlsRock  (02-11-2012),NancyBlackett  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

'cleaning as you go' was revolutionary for me. I never understood it when I worked full time but now I have more time at home, I get it. I'm by no means good at it but I do try to do things like Fearless Leader said - I do the bathroom while I am having my shower and do kitchen benches while I am making breakfast for DD and myself.

For my big weekly clean I use incentives. Generally the incentive is flowers. I love flowers and think they deserve a clean ad tidy space. So. If I want flowers I have to clean and tidy.

I also recognise my limitations. I am useless, USELESS at actually putting things away. So I use a basket system. Toys go in tubs that get put away. DH's and my stuff go into baskets that get put on his side of the bed and he puts it away for me. He's so much better than me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Same living with one for 6 years.

I get "oh your so lucky he vacuums etc etc etc"

Yeah but he also gets all "wtf is this on the floor for?!" All. The. Time.

I'm NOT tidy by nature. So my tips are:

1. Have set days for set cleaning activities. So like Friday is laundry day - I do a load here and there through the week but I do dfs work clothes (Friday is casual day) sheets & towels then I put them away over the weekend. Monday I do the fridge and pantry clean out & Tuesday I grocery shop etc etc etc.

2. 20 min *blitz* if the house is trashed. Its amazing what 20 minutes of full speed - break a sweat - cleaning can achieve. Just one or two rooms. Feels really good if it's just getting on top of me because no matter what I can stop in 20 minutes so it's less like going "ugh I'm going to be cleaning AALLLLLL daayyyyyy"

3. Yup clean as you go. Haha. Oh I'm so bad at this. Hence No 2. But I try.

4. Everything has a place. And if it doesn't find a place or throw it out.

5. I tidy before I leave the house. Because otherwise I get home and it's messy and I cbfed because I just got home.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a clean freak & believe me, it can be a curse. I wish i could relax & let go a bit more lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to loumia For This Useful Post:

Jennaisme  (02-11-2012)