+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

I am persevering but very little success. I took him to the dr to see if there is something medically wrong but nothing. I agree baby bliss is a very calm way but we have been successfully self settling for 7 days and still no long sleeps. He had one long afternoon sleep on Saturday but that's it. I'm tearing my hair out at this point!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Short day sleeps

It's so frustrating isn't it!!!? Keep persevering, not all babies goby the book, my DD at 4 months started catnapping and NOTHING worked. It was so frustrating and I got angry each and every day after that 40 minute mark!

DD sometimes had longer sleeps but not often and resettling NEVER worked.

What I found worked best for us was keeping a log of feed times, times I put her to sleep, times she actually fell asleep, when she woke up etc and found that she had her own pattern nothing at all like any book or routine I read. I found that it was either hunger, putting her down too early or too late that made her catnap.

Maybe try the same thing to figure out your baby's natural schedule but still persist with the baby bliss settling techniques.

I also found that DD didn't follow the 'tired signs' in books etc. she would constantly rub her eyes but wasn't constantly tired, so for a long whole it tricked me into thinking she was tired when she wasn't and would always fight sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MiniMaes, how is your DS' night sleep going?

I only ask because my 2 were/are shocking catnappers but great night sleepers. I know a lot of kids who are the same. With my DS I tried EVERYTHING to get a longer sleep out of him - I stressed myself out for months with no success. In the end it was only when he went down to 1 sleep that it got longer. I expect my DD will be the same.

I know your first had issues at night, but if you aren't having any luck getting your DS to sleep longer in the day and his night sleep isn't being affected, I say just go with the flow. It will save you a lot of stress .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

If he has good day sleeps nights are great. But cat napping gives us terrible nights. I'm spending 4-6 hours a day in his room and it's driving me crazy but I'll do anything for sleep...just don't know how long I can keep this up

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

It's been over 2 weeks and we are going from bad to worse. I paid a private midwife to come and help with a routine and after another 4 days on that he is just exhausted and screaming all the time. I'm trying to stretch his feeds to 4 hourly and he screams because he is hungry, I try and keep him up after he only sleeps one sleep cycle till the next nap time and he screams from being tired. I just don't know what to do. It's not a happy household at all my dd (3) is not coping with his crying and my dh just doesn't seem to understand what is going on. Any more miracle advice?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Short day sleeps

sorry to hear that, it must be really hard. I'm also sorry I can't help anymore, babybliss worked really well for us. It may not be what you want to hear, but it may not get better for a while, then gradually get better over time.
    I hope you find a solution.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

My dd started catnapping during the day from about 8 weeks and she is now almost 4 months. In that time I have tried so many resettling techniques but nothing has worked. We are now 7 days into an intense 3 week push to get her sleeping at the same time every day in the hope that it will help her to resettle and sleep longer. So she goes into her cot at 9 then when she wakes I put her in the pram and walk until 11. She will usually do one more sleep cycle in that time. At 1 I put her in her cot again then she goes into the swing or another walk until 3. While her naps in the cot are not getting any longer yet, her second sleep in the pram or swing are getting longer. Will keep you posted and let you know how we get on.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

Thanks i would love to know how you go. I'm doing the same but he finds the stretch to the next sleep time really difficult. How does yours go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Short day sleeps

Just go with the flow. Most babies outgrow catnapping when they go to 1-2sleeps a day. My dd1 was like that.

Your baby will be happier, you will be less stressed and so will your 3yo!

I've got a 2yo and 5mth old. If my dd2 wakes up after 40min I pop her in the carrier/pram and she soon drifts off again. I do not spend time resettling as it's not fair on my toddler.

Good luck

Btw my 5mth old feeds 1-2hrly during they day MAX 2.5. 4hrs is way too long between feeds for your bubba

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Short day sleeps

This makes sense.... Tho dd2 is not a catnapper I am putting her down for naps at the same time each day ish. It sets their body clock if they sleep at the same time for a few days.

We do naps at 8/8.30 and again at 11.30/12pm depending on wake up time. Both my girls wake between 5-6am - dd2 got up at 5.15am today so nap at 8am if she makes it or as close to it, then if she wakes up at 8.30/40 - in the carrier till 9.30am.

I find it's useful to get organized to go for a walk to the shops/park/playdate in that first little and as soon as they stir pop in pram/carrier and head out. That way toddler is happy and you get fresh air too.

Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneManda View Post
    My dd started catnapping during the day from about 8 weeks and she is now almost 4 months. In that time I have tried so many resettling techniques but nothing has worked. We are now 7 days into an intense 3 week push to get her sleeping at the same time every day in the hope that it will help her to resettle and sleep longer. So she goes into her cot at 9 then when she wakes I put her in the pram and walk until 11. She will usually do one more sleep cycle in that time. At 1 I put her in her cot again then she goes into the swing or another walk until 3. While her naps in the cot are not getting any longer yet, her second sleep in the pram or swing are getting longer. Will keep you posted and let you know how we get on.